Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 24th September 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,437 Times in 2,104 Posts
Welcome To My World

It's slow progress, but I'm about half way through creating my own Website. In addition to the usual picture galleries there's also a small poetry section. If anyone hase time to look I'd be grateful for any comments, advice or suggestions. You can find me at:-

http://www.johnperrimentphotography.com/

Thanks for looking,

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Welcome To My World

Hi John
Ive had a look at your website and personally I think it is well thought out.

Nice and simple, pleasing on the eye, and very easy to navigate around.

I particularly like the fact that when in a particular gallery, or looking at a particular shot, one can always access another gallery or go back to the start of the theme with ONE click of the mouse. You dont have to hit the back button. If your in the Norfolk gallery for example you can still see the other themes and access them with one click. This makes it very easy to browse the galleries.

One very small thing I noticed (and it is very small), is that where you have your gallery titles, there is a section titled "The hills are alive". The word "The" is on the top line of titles but because of space limitations the rest of the title is underneith on the next line. Its picky I know but I would move the "The" down to the next row so the whole title is easier to read.

All in all though a nice website.
Old 24th September 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Hi John

Now I must say sir, that this is a wonderfully presented and well thought out gallery web site, and I like it a lot - the welcome photograph of the field in sunset is quite exceptional.

Clikpic has improved significantly over the last year or so, and you have made excellent use of the functionality and way you can configure the site to your requirements etc. Are you going to enable the purchase options so people can buy your images online...? This is the only thing I am not 100% happy with on my gallery provider (Zenfolio) who have a purchase option, but only in USD$ not in GBP£ as yet...!

Great site John, make sure you get the small details completed and you have yourself an excellent gallery there, one that I will visit regularly.

Old 24th September 2008

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Nice attractive layout :-)

One point: On my monitor the gallery background is somewhere between very dark grey and not quite black.. Is this intentional??

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 24th September 2008

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

I think the site is clear and easy to navigate and your photographs are stunningly inspirational. As you know landscape is not my strong point but your pictures make me want to get out there and master it.
I have left a message on the site.
It would be nice to read more of your poetry.
Old 24th September 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bully74uk View Post
Hi John
Ive had a look at your website and personally I think it is well thought out.

Nice and simple, pleasing on the eye, and very easy to navigate around.

I particularly like the fact that when in a particular gallery, or looking at a particular shot, one can always access another gallery or go back to the start of the theme with ONE click of the mouse. You dont have to hit the back button. If your in the Norfolk gallery for example you can still see the other themes and access them with one click. This makes it very easy to browse the galleries.

One very small thing I noticed (and it is very small), is that where you have your gallery titles, there is a section titled "The hills are alive". The word "The" is on the top line of titles but because of space limitations the rest of the title is underneith on the next line. Its picky I know but I would move the "The" down to the next row so the whole title is easier to read.

All in all though a nice website.
Hi Bully,

Thanks for your encouraging comments. The gallery title spliting is annoying and despite playing around with it for much of this evening I cannot seem to resolve it. The best compromise I've come up with is to rearrange the order of the galleries, so that now "Other Places" is the one that is split. As these two words are almost equal in length, somehow the split doesn't seem quite so bad.

Cheers,

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th September 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Hi John

Now I must say sir, that this is a wonderfully presented and well thought out gallery web site, and I like it a lot - the welcome photograph of the field in sunset is quite exceptional.

Clikpic has improved significantly over the last year or so, and you have made excellent use of the functionality and way you can configure the site to your requirements etc. Are you going to enable the purchase options so people can buy your images online...? This is the only thing I am not 100% happy with on my gallery provider (Zenfolio) who have a purchase option, but only in USD$ not in GBP£ as yet...!

Great site John, make sure you get the small details completed and you have yourself an excellent gallery there, one that I will visit regularly.
Hi John,

Thank you for your very complimentary comments!

I may eventually use the purchase options, but I want to complete the rest of the site first and get it right as far as possible. I really like your Zenfolio site but Clickpic seemed an easier option for my limited computer skills!

Cheers,

Old 24th September 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Nice attractive layout :-)

One point: On my monitor the gallery background is somewhere between very dark grey and not quite black.. Is this intentional??

Pete
Thanks Pete,

I chose the charcoal background because all the text is white. The black background option comes with a choice of dual colour text, i.e gold/white, blue/white, green/white which I find distracting and feel that it makes the layout appear too fussy. Given the option of a pure black background with single colour text (e.g.white or gold), I'd have gone for that.

Cheers,

Old 24th September 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
I think the site is clear and easy to navigate and your photographs are stunningly inspirational. As you know landscape is not my strong point but your pictures make me want to get out there and master it.
I have left a message on the site.
It would be nice to read more of your poetry.
Thanks Shirley,

The Poetry section is a bit of a self indulgence but I do plan to add more in the near future and will, of course, be pleased if anyone is interested enough to read it!

Cheers,

P.S. I updated my preview site recently with a number of new pictures plus a few poems and forgot to "Make Live" so I'm not sure what you've seen so far!

Last edited by Zuiko; 24th September 2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 24th September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gosh, what a lovely looking site. Congratulations
Old 24th September 2008

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

Great site John, all the above and I like it a lot!!
Old 25th September 2008
fulhamphil

Hi John, congratulations on the site, i hope its succesful for you, regards Phil.