Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 23rd August 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Nuthatch with external flash...

Popped up to the Silent Valley reserve this morning with the popup hide and also took the FL-50 plus cable attachment with me as I have been wanting to try a few shots up there with flash. Haven't processed many as of yet but I rather liked this one.

Believe it or not, this Nuthatch shot is actually in the correct orientation!Strange birds eh!

Everything was in full manual mode for this shot, both the E-3 and the FL-50 flash unit. I took a few test shots to check the exposure, set the FL-50 to GN81, and fired off a few.

Nuthatch

Old 23rd August 2008

Liked 628 Times in 303 Posts
Re: Nuthatch with external flash...

John

Good shot. I was looking to try the flash on a cable and find your experiences very helpful. I think I'll be using it hand held rather than at a distance.

So I hope you'll keep experimenting. Not sure how you use the flash on manual...I just use the auto mode. But it is a lovely bird shot and you have kept some nice feather detail, so I look forward to seeing some more posts and details of your trials and what works.

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 23rd August 2008

Hey Peter

I have had a glass (read, bottle) of wine this evening and what I am about to write may need to be corrected once I revisit this thread tomorrow morning!!

However, the configuration choices of flash and camera are important I feel.

If I understand the settings correctly, if you have your flash on auto, then no matter what settings the camera is on your images should be well exposed because the flash - in Auto TTL mode - will compensate and adjust its power output accordingly depending on aperture, ISO and shutter speed on camera.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 24th August 2008

Liked 628 Times in 303 Posts

John

thats what I hoped, so just need the cable now. I have had it bookmarked for weeks. I just hoped it would get cheaper!

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 24th August 2008

I gt mine from ebay Peter, I have had a look to see where I got it from but can't find it sorry. Will have another look for you and post if I find it.

Also... to elaborate on what I mentioned last night, when the E-3 is in 'A' mode, with the FL-50 connected (via cable or directly), regardless of the control settings on the FL-50, the camera shutter speed is always set to 1/250th of a second. This allows you to close down the aperture in an attempt to get greater DoF, which is something I forgot to do when I spotted the Vole I shot... oops!