Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 8th June 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,843 Times in 2,189 Posts
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,621 Posts
Help! How Do I Use External Hard Drive?

O.K. it makes sense to back up the photos on your hard drive and I'm starting to get rather a lot.

So today I purchased a Maxtor Basics 500 GB external hard drive. Apparently you just plug it in and connect to PC by USB. Great!

But now what happens, what is it meant to do? I can't work out how to save anything onto it and of course it doesn't have any written instructions. Can anyone give me a clue?

Cheers,

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 8th June 2008
It`s an anagram

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Help! How Do I Use External Hard Drive?

Hi John,

Click on my computer from the start menu and ensure the drive has been listed there. To copy files there are a few different ways but your photo software may have a catalog transfer facility. For example PE6 from the menus has a backup command which you select from the menu and just click on the destination where you want these files to be saved. In this case you would direct the backup to the external drive, the name that matches the one you saw from my computer. Everything in the organizer will get copied across intact to the external hard drive.

There are other ways for example if you know which folder (s) all your images are in you can from windows explorer ( the file manager ) select them and literally drag them over the icon of the new drive and they will be copied.

The PE6 example worked very well for me because I recently got a new laptop and reloaded the catalog from the external drive and it came back intact with all the search tags and categories in place!

Hope this helps

John

All of a sudden.........nothing happened!

Last edited by Scapula Memory; 8th June 2008 at 06:30 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 8th June 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You need to work out a system that works well for you and make it part of your workflow.

I use SuperDuper (mac application) which is set to back up any new files every night at 10pm.

I also have another external hard drive which I keep elsewhere (in case of theft). I use Apple Aperture as my main photo software, when I plug the drive in Aperture automatically backs up to this as well.

I find this automatic method of backing-up works well for me as it saves accidents copying the wrong files etc.

Finally, every now and then I burn my photos to data DVDs and keep them at my brother's house.
Old 8th June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I assume you are on a PC.
When you plug in the drive it should be seen by the system and appear in my computer as a new drive letter. see fi you can open it - it should be empty. If you can't open it you need to format it - right click/format - chose NTFS.

now you need to decide your back up regime. - this means deciding what file you want to back up and how to do it. You can simply drag/drop the files from one between the drives, but this gets messy. Have a look at Microsoft SYNCTOY
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

this can be set to mirror sets of folders between your data drive and the backup drive, keeping them in sync.

keith
Old 8th June 2008
Administrator

Thank you very much John, David and Keith.

I've now got the thing working, with Auto Backup programmed for once a week.

Cheers,

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 8th June 2008
Administrator

Liked 251 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Thank you very much John, David and Keith.

I've now got the thing working, with Auto Backup programmed for once a week.

Cheers,

John
Sounds good - for most purposes weekly is about right.

A couple more tips: -

Remember to do an extra one if you plan to do a big change around and then verify that things are right before you let a scheduled job run again as you want to be sure that the changes are right

By habit leave your external drive off when you are not using it. It's better for the environment and safer re virus attacks - it can't be effected if it's not on

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://shenstonephoto.blogspot.com/
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
Old 8th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
Sounds good - for most purposes weekly is about right.

A couple more tips: -

Remember to do an extra one if you plan to do a big change around and then verify that things are right before you let a scheduled job run again as you want to be sure that the changes are right

By habit leave your external drive off when you are not using it. It's better for the environment and safer re virus attacks - it can't be effected if it's not on

Regards
Andy

Two very good points, Andy. Thank you. I'm also planning to get a second external drive on the belt and braces principle.

John

Old 9th June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have mine set up to do a new/modified files backup every night. I have been thinking about a second Ext HD to backup the backup, but I also do a monthly DVD backup as well, with the DVDs going into a fireproof box in another room.

I also have a few priceless files (wedding pix for eg) backed up on BTs Digital Vault (or whatever it's called!), but I'm too tight to pay for anything other than their "free" service!

Some highly irritating data losses in past working life have made me (probably excessively) paranoid about data. Murphy's law dictates that something will go wrong eventually...
Old 9th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughofBardfield View Post
I have mine set up to do a new/modified files backup every night. I have been thinking about a second Ext HD to backup the backup, but I also do a monthly DVD backup as well, with the DVDs going into a fireproof box in another room.

I also have a few priceless files (wedding pix for eg) backed up on BTs Digital Vault (or whatever it's called!), but I'm too tight to pay for anything other than their "free" service!

Some highly irritating data losses in past working life have made me (probably excessively) paranoid about data. Murphy's law dictates that something will go wrong eventually...

That's why I'm thinking one external drive isn't enough!

John

Old 10th June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What I should really like to be able to do is to have a back-up drive in another room to the PC, but I have absolutely no idea whether it is possible to do it wirelessly. I would be shot if I introduced yet more trailing cables.
Old 10th June 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

know you can using Time Capsule and Leopard on a mac – so you probably can on a PC.
Old 14th June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some good ideas.

I've got an external hard drive, but it's only ever turned on when I back up to it manually every couple of weeks. How would I set it to back up files automatically?
Old 15th June 2008
Administrator

Liked 251 Times in 137 Posts

Ellie

That depends on the software you are using

Most of the software out there which has been around a while and even some of teh very new stuff has the concept of a scheduled backup. Some software allows a monthly schedule and some only with the days of the week

Generally you can schedule for a time of day/week/month that suits you, but you will need to say what you use if you want eny more input.

Also you will need to make sure that at that appropritate time that all the necessary hardware is switched on

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://shenstonephoto.blogspot.com/
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone