Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-410

Olympus E-410 E-410 specific discussion.

Old 21st July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
something wrong with camera

Hi, I recently bought an e410 and it seemed fine for the first couple of days, but then it has been acting a bit strange, as I was taking photos the autofocus starting acting weird, doing it's own thing really and then stopped, and the rear screen went off. the camera would still take photos but the autofocus and rear screen wouldn't work. Turning off and back on seems to sometimes getting it 'unstuck' but sometimes I have to turn off and remove and put back the c/f card, to get it to go again, it seems to do it most after it not being used for a few hours, once it's being used constantly it doesn't seem to do it then, i.e. it did it this morning first thing, but now I can't get to to go wrong again. I bought it from lce and have spoken to them and they said that it could be a battery issue (old, worn out battery) and are sending me a new battery to try, they also said if that doesn't work then the camera is probably a right off and will refund, so no complaints with them. Trouble is I am going away in a week (next sat) and really need a camera to take with me, so would like to get it sorted quickly, I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be? does it sound like a battery issue? the awkward thing is that it will go for ages before it does it, and I don't want to leave it too long before sending back. (sorry for the long post) thanks, jacqui.
Old 21st July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: something wrong with camera

I just thought I would add, do you think I should keep trying with the new battery for a while or just get it sent straight back off now to give myself more time to get it sorted and try to find a replacement before my holiday. thanks, jacqui.
Old 21st July 2011

Liked 1,233 Times in 481 Posts

Hmm. Difficult: The usual advice would be to clean the gold contacts on the back of the lens. If they go intermittent it can upset the camera big time.

However, I sympathise. No-one likes an unreliable camera..

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 21st July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi pete, thanks, how do I clean them, is there a special way at all? jacqui.
Old 21st July 2011

Liked 980 Times in 292 Posts

Hi

I had the same issue with my 420.I got a cheapy cheapy clone battery as a back up,it was only 5.00 as I remember.
The camera would work OK for a few shots the the focus would lock up and sometimes the screen would go blank.
The only thing that would clear it was a full re-set which was a pain as I lost all my custom settings.
Needless to say that battery is now in the bin and I'm just using the original Oly battery.

Sounds like the same problem.

Good luck.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 21st July 2011

Liked 1,233 Times in 481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui View Post
Hi pete, thanks, how do I clean them, is there a special way at all? jacqui.
Sounds like it could be the battery, but for cleaning lens contacts one method is to use the rubber* on the end of a pencil and give them a light rubbing with that.

Pete

*Important: "Eraser" if you are American

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 21st July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ahh! ok, maybe it's that then, I have tried the battery they sent with the camera, but that could have been quite old and worn out, and I bought a cheap clone battery for it which I have tried, but your problem sounds very similar so I will wait for the (hopefully olympus) battery they are sending me today and try that, fingers crossed that's solves it. thanks everyone, I will let you know next installment later
Old 21st July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks pete, if no joy with battery I will try cleaning the contacts.
Old 21st July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the other thought I had, they sent me a universal charger instead of an original olympus one, (hahnel) I noticed when we first put the battery on to charge, the lights on it flickered around a bit and we had to wiggle and fiddle with it to get the lights to settle down, could this be the problem I wonder? that it is not actually charging properly? I guess it's a matter of trying all this different stuff out, could have done without this just before a holiday. :/
Old 21st July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

right, I have just received the new battery, so far so good, but we will see, let you know how it goes, Jacqui
Old 21st July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok, it was fine for a while and then once left for a few hours and then used again, then it went wrong again, this time turning off and on didn't make any difference, the autofocus confirm light was just stuck on, it would still take pictures but wouldn't autofocus, the only thing that would resolve it was turning camera off removing and then putting back the c/f card and then turning camera on again, confused!! it definately seems to have something to do with the memory card / card door. I have tried a different card with much the same result.does anyone have any ideas or do you think I should just send it back and ask for a refund? thanks, jacqui.
Old 21st July 2011

Liked 980 Times in 292 Posts

Hmmm

Out of interest with your original battery did it happen straight after charging.Also you replacement battery what make is it?

To me this sounds like the problem I had with poor batteries.Shame when you got the camera it didn't have a branded Olympus BLS1.

Probably not much help if you need the camera for a holiday

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 21st July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Andy, they sent me another olympus battery today and it's still doing it, it seemed ok for a while and then after being left for a couple of hours it started doing it again, and this time the autofocus locked up and the screen on the back was showing the aperture as f-.- seems like the electrics have gone a bit crazy!
Old 21st July 2011

Liked 1,292 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui View Post
and this time the autofocus locked up and the screen on the back was showing the aperture as f-.- seems like the electrics have gone a bit crazy!
That sounds like dirty contacts on the lens.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 22nd July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok, well the camera, if anything, got worse so it is on it's way back to lce this morning, hopefully they will deal with it swiftly enough for me to be able to replace it before my holiday, they know the situation and it is being posted royal mail next day saturday, so there shouldn't be too much problem, heres hoping