Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-410

Olympus E-410 E-410 specific discussion.

Old 15th July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At last a dslr that feels right!

Hi, I have been back and forth a bit with dslr's in the last year, bought a few used and kept going back to my panasonic fz38 because they either didn't feel right or didn't give me the results I was expecting, I suddenly realised that the problem might be that most of the cameras just seem to feel too heavy and uncomfortable for me, and then, having managed to get a great deal on an e410 and 40-150mm lens, I thought I would give it a go, wow! what a difference! only got it last night and haven't been able to put it down since! I was concerned that the lack of hand grip and image stabilisation would be a problem but I have been amazed at the sharpness of the photos so far and how easy it was to achieve them, also the whole feel of it is great, I love it, even down to the shutter sound it's amazing just how right it feels when you hit on the right camera! I know it's quite an old model now but I really am not worried about that, I am just enjoying using it. with cameras like this, why aren't the olympus sales up their with the other two? anyway they've certainly got my vote
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 151 Times in 106 Posts
Re: At last a dslr that feels right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui View Post
... e410 and 40-150mm lens, I thought I would give it a go, wow! what a difference! only got it last night and haven't been able to put it down since! I was concerned that the lack of hand grip and image stabilisation would be a problem but I have been amazed at the sharpness of the photos so far and how easy it was to achieve them, also the whole feel of it is great, I love it, even down to the shutter sound ...
Long may it live!
I'll not sell mine and I hope it lasts as long as it feels it's going to last ...
Old 15th July 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,984 Times in 2,321 Posts
Liked 3,991 Times in 1,882 Posts

That's the real secret of choosing a camera, it's got nothing to do with pixels, bells and whistles but everything to do with how it feels and handles in your hands. It's a bit like Harry Potter's visit to the wand shop, you don't chose the wand, it chooses you.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 482 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
That's the real secret of choosing a camera, it's got nothing to do with pixels, bells and whistles but everything to do with how it feels and handles in your hands. It's a bit like Harry Potter's visit to the wand shop, you don't chose the wand, it chooses you.
I need a Harry Potter wand every now and then.

---------------------------------------------------

Enjoy your camera.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts

I know just how you feel Jacqui...

I dithered between Canon, Nikon and several other brands before I made my mind up....I spent weeks researching and asking for advice - after all, this was a HUGE investment for me...I spent my lunch times haunting my local camera shop, trying a different model each day...I'm sure they thought I was simply a mad time waster!

I was being helped in my choice of camera by the guys in the photography section on my angling forum, and here's what I posted in the week preceding my purchase of my Oly two years ago...

Quote:
I don't want to rush into this, but the more I read, the more I feel that the Olympus E520 will be just the camera for me. I liked it instantly when I played around with it - it felt good. Not a very constructive comment, I know, but if I'm going to be using it, I want one that I'm comfortable with. It felt better in my hand than any of the others that I looked at. I was SO tempted to buy it there and then!

Quote:
After a lot of research, I've decided that I'm having the Olympus E520 (thanks Ayjay....I may not have seriously considered it if you hadn't brought it to my attention!) It comes with two lenses and they have a macro lens for 184.99. I'm sure I can get it cheaper on t'Internet, but the basic kit I wanted to buy from somewhere local, just for peace of mind should something go wrong.

I was able to try the macro lens on the camera today, and I was very favourably impressed with the results. I think it should be more than adequate for my needs, and besides, I just LIKED it...! I was able to find my way round the controls within a very short space of time, and I was comfortable with it. I think this is a camera that I will use, and learn from. Just half an hour and I could find my way round the menus and functions? It seems very user friendly. Extras for it won't break the bank, so I think it's going to be a reasonable investment. After all, I only started trying photography in a small way just a few months ago, so I think I need to learn the basics before I start spending silly money.
I still think I made the right decision!

Janet

Old 15th July 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jacqui,
The E-410 was my first Olympus DSLR and I've kept it even though I've subsequently bought other E series. It's a great camera - so light and easy to handle. The 40-150 is a cracking lens for it's size and weight. You should look out for a 14-42 or 14-45 second hand and that would give you a range from 14 to 150mm
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts

I agree with Jamie on that one...the 40-150 is the one I use the most. It really is a belter! The 14-42 is also pretty damn good, although I don't use it as much as I should...the 40-150 is usually all I need.

Have fun, and look forward to seeing the results!

Janet

Old 15th July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks everyone, I was thinking of looking out for a secondhand 14-42 or something, although, I tend to use more zoom most of the time, but it would still be handy to have it for landscapes etc. I have taken another few photos in the garden today, nothing special just playing around a bit, but still delighted with the results, and the weight and feel are perfect
Old 15th July 2011

Liked 1,292 Times in 789 Posts

When I got the E-410 with the kit lenses it reminded me so much of my OM bodies I sold my E-1. And after testing the kit lenses I sold my HG lenses with the E-1.

I never fell in love with the E-1 like a lot of people do and have never missed it but I don't think I'll sell my E-410.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 16th July 2011

Liked 762 Times in 276 Posts

Congratulations on find the right camera for you. The E-410 is great little camera, so compact and light weight and Olympus kit lenses are excellent.
Funnily enough I recently bought a new E-510 because I really missed using it, having sold my original one a couple of years ago.

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr