Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-410

Olympus E-410 E-410 specific discussion.

Old 6th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calling all E-410 / E-400 Owners - Advice needed please

Please would any E-410 or E-400 owners give me their views on their camera. My dear wife has suddenly announced that she would like to get a "proper" camera. She is only little and gets put off with the size and weight of my E-1 or E-3. Another thing that worries her is the number of controls, she finds them intimidating. So I thought a E-400 series camera could well be a great camera for her to enjoy the benefits of a DSLR. The new E-420 looks very nice any opinions on that from real world E-400 / E410 owners would be greatly appreciated.

The things I really like about the spec of the new E-420 is the live view and the facility to use the RM-UC1. I have a feeling that a team outing to our local camera shop will be on the cards this weekend.

Thanks in advance

Chris
Old 6th March 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Calling all E-410 / E-400 Owners - Advice needed please

I use an E1 but did use an E400 for several months. It was a great, easy to carry about model.

Personally I prefer having two control dials and lots of direct buttons, but if the camera is likely to stay on more automated settings I don't think this is a problem. I think any dSLR is easier to take pictures with than most compacts.

There should be some good deals in a month or two when the E420 gets into the shops.
Old 6th March 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have the E-400 and find it very simple to use and has more than enough features for an average user. The reason I bought it to complement my E-500was its size & weight and even though I have large hands its still comfortable to use. The E-420 has "live" view and better image processing and nor more features over both the E400 & E-410 so I would wait and go for that.
Old 6th March 2008
Hiding_Pup

Jotted down my thoughts about the E-400 as an E-1 user here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=706

The original Japanese advert for the E-410 might help allay your partner's fear of buttons:

http://tinyurl.com/3399p6
Old 6th March 2008

Liked 1,292 Times in 789 Posts

I got the 410 with two lens kit last summer.

After testing it and the lenses I sold my E-1 along with my 14-54 and 50-200 as I was planning on upgrading to the SWD lenses once they became available.
Old 7th March 2008
Scapula Memory

Rather than list features and differences she needs to go and pick one up and handle it to see if she is comfortable with it. No amount of features can make something worth having if you cannot get on with it. You may dare I say this end up trying other brands.
Old 7th March 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts

Hey Chris

I have to say that last year for my birthday, my lovely wife bought me a camera that well and truly created the 'DSLR bug' for me. I hadn't used a DSLR before, and was massively impressed with the camera she bought me. I found it light, bright, easy to use, and a superb platform for me to do my self taught apprenticeship and commence what I now regard as one of my favourite all time hobbies.

The camera accompanied me on holidays last year, and apparently I was spotted several times by holidaymakers taking shots in the bushes and fora, taking loads of colourful shots!

I have since moved to the E-510, and now the E-3, but that trusty E-400, paired with its twin lens kit, is still very much a beauty.

Was looking to sell it recently as I have the E-510, as does Heather, so plenty of backups available, but I am not so sure I can part with it to be honest... sentimental value and all that!

Old 7th March 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,177 Posts
Liked 1,445 Times in 667 Posts

The E-410 is remarkably small, but the E-510 is actually not that much larger or heavier. If you can stretch to the E-510 you get the valuable bonus of image stabilisation and the very handy extra of a bigger and longer lasting battery. Best if you can find a shop that can demo the two models side by side. But my personal feeling is that the E-510 is better overall value for money. I'd discount the E-400 - it's been discontinued for almost a year and although many people rave about its image quality, I thnk the E-410 is more polished in terms of features and operational control.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 7th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A really big thank-you to all of you for taking time to reply, keep your priceless views coming. You have given us a lot to think about, we were in John Lewis today and much to my surprise the E-410 and E-510 were in the cabinet. My dear lady tried them both, the result of that famous "feel in the hand" test was E-410 1 E-510 0. So it looks like the E-4xx series is out in front at this early stage.

It is looking like I might have to carry her camera kit soon !

Chris
Old 10th November 2008
alanj

I've had an E410 for 12 months, having previously used an E20. The 410 is a pleasure both to use and carry around. I believe the new E420 has minor upgrades. But the 410 still produces the goods.
Old 10th November 2008

Liked 115 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainD View Post
... we were in John Lewis today and much to my surprise the E-410 and E-510 were in the cabinet. My dear lady tried them both, the result of that famous "feel in the hand" test was E-410 1 E-510 0. So it looks like the E-4xx series is out in front at this early stage.

It is looking like I might have to carry her camera kit soon !

Chris
You have your answer!!
My DSLR is an E400 ... love it...
if I had loads a money I would add a 520 body for the IS but dont really need anything else...
Get the 25mm pancake ... perfect match
Old 10th November 2008

Liked 1,233 Times in 481 Posts

Well, I wish my E400 was as clever as my E510. I wish the E510 were as small and light as the E400.

They are both great cameras IMHO

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 10th November 2008
ravenblack

I have owned an E400 for twelve months now. It has been a very good performer. I am thinking of selling it with the two kit lens as I bought the seperate 40-150 as it is better than the kit version.
I can't remember how to check the shots taken but it's not that high! (advice please).
I want to get the 520 body and selling this would help with the cost! So if your wife is interested send me a pm.
Old 10th November 2008
Roving Rangies

I have a E410, I got it last year as my other camera was too bulky for me since I was diagnosed with arthritis in my hands, so needed something lighter and smaller.

It has some really easy to use options on it and takes commercial quiality photo's with no problems.
Old 21st November 2008
alanj

I used to carry an E20 around with me, until I finally got fed up with having an aching shoulder. I bought my E410 last summer and it is easier to carry around.
I am pleased with the images from it, and am also pleased with the camera.