Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 10th December 2018

Liked 2,788 Times in 1,529 Posts
Re: Mixed Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
You’d like to think that if the outsourcing company could make money from the car park then the council should be able to do exactly the same.
"Exactly the same"? They are clearly desperate for funds, according to recent reports of intended major cuts to social services. They have already cut bus services.

Harold
Old 10th December 2018

Liked 861 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
Groan? Elaborate please.
In respect of TimP's post, "journeys currently (see what I did there)'
Old 10th December 2018

Liked 557 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
In respect of TimP's post, "journeys currently (see what I did there)'
Ah OK!

I got the wrong end of your groan posts stick.
Old 10th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
"Exactly the same"? They are clearly desperate for funds, according to recent reports of intended major cuts to social services. They have already cut bus services.

Harold
‘Our’ lot are spending (some might say pi55ing away) an absolute fortune doing something called transformation, we’re talking millions here, and funnily enough a lot of the managers are gettting large pay rises and a lot of the workers are either getting downgraded or ending up basically being a call centre operator. All of this is going on without the general knowledge of the public, although the info would be there if anyone bothered to read minutes of meetings etc.
The cuts are savage and ongoing but there is a strange mentality of spending to save no matter what the cost. Experienced people leave to be replaced by cheaper, younger people. Expensive consultants are having an absolute field day.
Old 10th December 2018

Liked 2,059 Times in 1,363 Posts

Quote:
The public transport argument might be all well and good in some major cities but move anywhere beyond the suburbs and you’re screwed.
That all went wrong in the early 1960's when much of the railway network was closed, whilst simultaneously new housing developments sprung up outwith the reach of any public transport.

I am told that a significant proportion of British Rail's income during the 1960's came from the sale of scrap metal from decommissioned railway lines and supporting infrastructure.

Blame one Alfred Ernest Marples, Transport Mister from 1959 to 1964, who made his fortune from road building.

In late life Marples fled to Monaco at very short notice to avoid prosecution for tax fraud which I think says a lot about his character.

Quote:
There’s going to have to be a huge rethink around taxes once electric vehicles start to gain popularity. Not just taxes obviously as the whole electrical infrastructure won’t cope with anything like the equivalent number of journeys currently (see what I did there) being taken by ICE vehicles.
Interesting times ahead, shame a lot of us won’t be here to witness them.
I would suggest that we need a complete rethink of how we run our lives and our need to travel. Throughout recent history we have made great efforts to clean up travel, and are now trying to move pollution away from road vehicles to power stations, but use this as a way of travelling even more. Surely there must come a point where we look very seriously at the ludicrous amount of miles that we and the goods that we buy have to travel day in and day out.

I consider myself very fortunate that I work from home most days and only need to travel infrequently; but on the odd occasions that I need to drive long distances south of the border I find it a miserable experience.

As for fuel duties, I suspect the increasing popularity of electric vehicles and the impossibility of taxing electricity for vehicular use will almost certainly result in the long-threatened 'road pricing'.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 10th December 2018

Quote:
You’d like to think that if the outsourcing company could make money from the car park then the council should be able to do exactly the same.
You could say the same about rail operators.

How is it that French, German, Dutch and even Spanish government owned railways and numerous private companies see fit to 'invest'* in our railways but our own government cannot?

* Investment is of course a double-edged sword, which in this case is more about profiteering than pouring in money or experience.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 10th December 2018

Thanked 1,085 Times in 678 Posts
Liked 1,418 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Public transport? Don't make me laugh! Up here there is very little of it and what there is only remains through volunteer drivers because no commercial business could survive. The train is fine if I want to go to Leeds or Carlisle before going anywhere else. We're approximately half way between the east- and west-coast main lines but it takes a couple of hours to get to either by train and bus. I have to get to Darlington hospital soon for an eye operation; an hour's drive, but a three hour train journey via Leeds and York! It's £70 each way by taxi so I'm going to have to rely on friends to take me there and back. At least we're remote enough for the local petrol station to get the 5p/litre rural reduction making it competitive with the big supermarkets.

Me too... They have an in-house charity called Friends of Darlington whom I have used on at least 7 occasions. Worth a try. I live between Durham and Sunderland and the service provided is top notch. One appt was for 7am, and again, no bother. A to and from door to door service with a smile. It's essentially a free service but I'm sure a donation would be most welcome. Two clear day's notice is required but err on the good side if possible. 01325 - 743 866. If you don't ask, you won't receive. Good Luck

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Otto (10th December 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (10th December 2018), OM USer (10th December 2018)
Old 10th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Me too... They have an in-house charity called Friends of Darlington whom I have used on at leatd 7 occasions. Worth a try. I live between Durham and Sunderland and the service provided is top notch. One appt was for 7am, and again no bother. A to and from door to door service with a smile. It's essentially a free service but I'm sure a donation would be most welcome. Two clear day's notice is required but err on the good side if possible. 01325 - 743 866. If you don't ask, you won't receive. Good Luck
If you caught the X20 to Durham you would be lucky to get there this century!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 10th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
You could say the same about rail operators.

How is it that French, German, Dutch and even Spanish government owned railways and numerous private companies see fit to 'invest'* in our railways but our own government cannot?

* Investment is of course a double-edged sword, which in this case is more about profiteering than pouring in money or experience.
And the same about all our utility infrastructure. Re-nationalise the lot, but ensure there is proper auditing in place and not let things get out of control, run it like a private business but all the savings and profits come to us, not some foreign entity.
Old 10th December 2018

Liked 755 Times in 486 Posts

Thanks Wally, I will look into that as a (dare I say it?) backstop . I don't have a date for the op as yet.
Old 10th December 2018

Liked 2,788 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Me too... They have an in-house charity called Friends of Darlington whom I have used on at leatd 7 occasions. Worth a try. I live between Durham and Sunderland and the service provided is top notch. One appt was for 7am, and again no bother. A to and from door to door service with a smile. It's essentially a free service but I'm sure a donation would be most welcome. Two clear day's notice is required but err on the good side if possible. 01325 - 743 866. If you don't ask, you won't receive. Good Luck
Reading BC are cutting free travel for some of the needy on this service:

"ReadiBus is the dial-a-ride bus service for people with restricted mobility in and around Reading".

Harold
Old 10th December 2018

Quote:
And the same about all our utility infrastructure. Re-nationalise the lot, but ensure there is proper auditing in place and not let things get out of control, run it like a private business but all the savings and profits come to us, not some foreign entity.
As I understand it our railway network, stations and signalling are all state owned, and passenger rolling stock is also state owned. New trains are procured by the Department for Transport who decide which rolling stock goes where. That is the big money.

Rolling stock is then somehow leased to private operators for fixed periods of time as decreed by the DfT; presumably at a rete which more than covers the capital investment over a period of twenty years or so.

It is the day-to-day management of ticketing and staffing the trains and railway stations which is privatised. The private operators also 'invest' money into railway stations and rolling stock improvements to help stimulate ticket sales.

I will be the first to admit that I cannot fully get my head around this (given the lack of clarity over how our railways are run), but from what I can see the 'investment' by private operators is quite modest compared with the returns that are reported by the media.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 10th December 2018

Thanked 1,085 Times in 678 Posts
Liked 1,418 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Thanks Wally, I will look into that as a (dare I say it?) backstop . I don't have a date for the op as yet.

If you do get the transport, don't worry about finding your way to the eye clnic reception. The driver will take you and, if you ask at reception / nurse, they will ensure he picks you up for the return journey. As I said, door to ddor... literally.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (10th December 2018), Otto (10th December 2018)
Old 10th December 2018

Liked 755 Times in 486 Posts

I think I could find my way to the eye clinic blindfold I've been there that often the last few years, but thanks for the info Wally - much appreciated . I note also that the eye clinic is the only one whose direction signs are on a bright yellow background making them easy to spot . The driver will also get a nice day out in the Yorkshire Dales!
Old 10th December 2018

I see Cross Rail are asking for another 1.5 billion! How does one get a share of all of these billions? The government seem to delight in giving the stuff away with one hand while cutting off funds (social services, police, military and NHS for example) with the other. Madness, expensive madness and someone needs holding to account surely.