Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 6th December 2018

Liked 2,050 Times in 1,357 Posts
New homes 'crumbling due to weak mortar'

So it seems that many newbuild homes are crumbling due to weak mortar.

BBC Report - New homes 'crumbling due to weak mortar'

This is in addition to problems such as vibration throughout the house whenever the spin dryer is working.

According to the report, "Exactly why the weaker building material may have been used is unclear.

In some cases, the housebuilder may have simply used the wrong type of mortar. In other cases, errors may have been made mixing and laying the material on site.
"

Now let me think. How much does a bag of Portland cement cost? And how much does sand cost?

Given the race to build as many houses as possible in the shortest possible time and at the lowest possible cost is this yet another poisoned legacy for our children to inherit?

We have come to expect our homes to outlive us, but are they becoming just as disposable as cars and television sets?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jax (6th December 2018)
Old 6th December 2018

Liked 543 Times in 359 Posts
Re: New homes 'crumbling due to weak mortar'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post

Given the race to build as many houses as possible in the shortest possible time and at the lowest possible cost
Is anyone, anyone at all surprised at this. Everything is made / built down to a cost.
Blame people for wanting everything at the lowest possible cost, not understanding that quality costs a bit more.
Old 6th December 2018

Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts

In the "old days" bricklaying mortar was a 3 to 1 ratio. Now it appears 5.5 to 1 is the recommended ratio. If they've skimped on the mortar on these estates, heaven knows what the foundations are like if using concrete slab base construction.

Jax
Old 6th December 2018

Liked 382 Times in 183 Posts

The building industry is going down the 'Potholes' .....i've worked in it for over 50 years and houses have never been built so badly as they are at present.
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 6th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknroll59 View Post
The building industry is going down the 'Potholes' .....i've worked in it for over 50 years and houses have never been built so badly as they are at present.
That is hardly good news when for most people a house is the biggest investment they will ever make.

The scandal of selling newbuilds leasehold and then demanding extortionate ground rents is also unresolved.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
MJ224 (6th December 2018)
Old 6th December 2018

Liked 382 Times in 183 Posts

Unfortunately its a combination of a few things....no real apprenticeships anymore and learning from past tradesman time served, cheap imported labour from outside the UK ( I have many horror stories to tell you if you have the time), drive to the bottom for labour prices, lack of control (no more clerk of works looking over work), national housebuilders too big and powerful, plus a few more.....but generally things are built too quickly and houses now all look the same where ever they are in the UK due to standardisation......its a great shame that houses built today will not be around in 50 > 100 years time as older houses that were built years ago.
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Naughty Nigel (6th December 2018)
Old 6th December 2018

Liked 2,690 Times in 1,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
That is hardly good news when for most people a house is the biggest investment they will ever make.

The scandal of selling newbuilds leasehold and then demanding extortionate ground rents is also unresolved.
That explains why the Persimmon boss gets a £75 million bonus. What the F**k is going on in our society.

I understand it would be very nice to £75,000,000 in the bank, but really and honestly who needs that amount to live on/with.

It's a disgrace to all of us...………..

My Flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (6th December 2018), Jim Ford (6th December 2018), Naughty Nigel (6th December 2018)
Old 6th December 2018

Thanked 1,084 Times in 678 Posts
Liked 1,418 Times in 712 Posts

As someone who has worked in the bulding industry,sadly, this 'news' is not 'new news.'

The mortar is now pre-mixed to a formula as used in laboratory tests. A case of one mix fits all. Even bricks, going back to the 60's with the incorrect mixture formula for different parts of the UK have suffered similar issues by beint too porous for the local conditions.

When an elderly lady home owner complained, - still under warranty - she was informed that to do so would make her house unsaleable? The gagging order is just anothe angle to shut out complaints.

This whole scenario, is just another version of the emissions scam. Like the emission scam, It won't go away anytime soon as long as they get away with paltry fines etc., that don't fit the crime.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Jim Ford (6th December 2018)
Old 6th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
That explains why the Persimmon boss gets a £75 million bonus. What the F**k is going on in our society.

I understand it would be very nice to £75,000,000 in the bank, but really and honestly who needs that amount to live on/with.

And meanwhile people struggle throughout their working lives, and sometimes beyond to pay their mortgages to fund it.

Many people blame capitalism but there just seems to be a total lack of common decency and self control amongst these people.

Likewise the woman who pays herself £220,000,000 a year on the proceeds of gambling.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jim Ford (6th December 2018)
Old 6th December 2018

Thanked 1,084 Times in 678 Posts
Liked 1,418 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post

Paid peanuts when compared to this bonus payout.

Denise Coates, the co-founder and chief executive of gambling giant Bet365, became the highest paid boss in the United Kingdom thanks to paying herself a record £199 million last year according to the company’s latest financial results.

Coates’ monster salary also came with £18 million in dividends, taking her pre-tax earnings to £217 million, dwarfing the previous highest UK boss’ salary, held by Sir Martin Sorrell of WPP, by almost £169 million.

Now we know why gambling is a mug's game.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 6th December 2018

Liked 1,449 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
As someone who has worked in the bulding industry,sadly, this 'news' is not 'new news.'

The mortar is now pre-mixed to a formula as used in laboratory tests. A case of one mix fits all. Even bricks, going back to the 60's with the incorrect mixture formula for different parts of the UK have suffered similar issues by beint too porous for the local conditions.
I don't know much about building materials, but I've always understood that mortar uses soft sand and relatively little Portland cement in order for it to be flexible - with movement the mortar yields rather than the bricks cracking. The mechanism by which the mortar yields is a mystery to me - I can't visualise it. My house is 19th Century, so I guess it's got lime mortar which is supposed to be even more flexible.

Perhaps someone can explain the manner in which mortar flexes, without crumbling.

Concrete with sharp sand, ballast and Portland cement I can understand!

Jim
Old 6th December 2018

Liked 1,159 Times in 663 Posts

No surprises here!

However, I still well remember labouring on building sites during my gap year and university holidays in 1972 & 73, and watching the foreman directing the drain laying team to bury the pipes at the regulation depth at the various junctions, but bring them up to 3’ depth on the long runs between.

The ‘10-year man’ came round regularly to check compliance for the building certificates, but he only had to do this around junctions...

These were on high-cost executive homes in the Midlands, so gawd knows what standards applied on cheaper housing. I take stories that buildings were better in the old days with a barrow load of hard core.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 6th December 2018

Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,318 Posts
Liked 1,180 Times in 801 Posts

It will be just like the new builds going up on flood plains where there is a deal with the insurers to ensure that insurance can be obtained by the first owners...for a few years. After that the house is uninsurable and hence unsaleable. No doubt it will be the same with crumbling mortar.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 6th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
No surprises here!

However, I still well remember labouring on building sites during my gap year and university holidays in 1972 & 73, and watching the foreman directing the drain laying team to bury the pipes at the regulation depth at the various junctions, but bring them up to 3’ depth on the long runs between.

The ‘10-year man’ came round regularly to check compliance for the building certificates, but he only had to do this around junctions...

These were on high-cost executive homes in the Midlands, so gawd knows what standards applied on cheaper housing. I take stories that buildings were better in the old days with a barrow load of hard core.
Small estates developed by private builders were generally better put together but the industry has long suffered with quality issues.

Our own house was built in the late 1960's and has its fair share of design flaws; mainly that the window are very big, and that energy was cheap in those days so little thought was given to insulation or energy conservation. But on the plus side it is of generous size whilst the materials used are of good quality. Barring natural disasters I have no doubt that it will still be standing long after I have shuffled my mortal coil, which is how it should be.

We expect our homes to be permanent, and like to spend time and money making them 'ours'. This is not just a case of crumbling mortar but of effectively making homes disposable. Given people's lifetime investment in their homes this is really unacceptable and I hope those responsible get taken to the cleaners.

As for Victorian houses, I have some experience of Victorian workmanship and it wasn't always that much better than we see today, but at least the materials were generally of good quality and would last for a long time.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th December 2018

Liked 543 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
It will be just like the new builds going up on flood plains where there is a deal with the insurers to ensure that insurance can be obtained by the first owners...for a few years. After that the house is uninsurable and hence unsaleable. No doubt it will be the same with crumbling mortar.
Is that how it works with flood plains then? Are the local council planners / building control officers really that stupid? (In general they weren’t at the LA where I used to work, but I suspect that’s now changing with a ‘transformation’ project)
Still if someone buys such a property isn’t it a case of buyer beware, after all in a lot cases the clue is in the name ‘Mill St’ , ‘Watery Lane’ ‘River Cottage’ etc....