Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 2nd December 2018

Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,004 Posts
Liked 1,168 Times in 763 Posts
Re: How Low Can Thugs Get ?

Cheltenham strikes again! Visited in September then on returning home got a letter asking for thirty pounds for a bus lane infringement. It has made me think of not visiting with a car again. As a visitor I was having enough trouble working out how to get through traffic and did not see the signs which I am sure are there.
Sensible enforced penalties for other offences might also be what is needed. Cries of over full prisons seems to result in lesser sentences and early release.
Victims seem to be forgotten when it comes to rights and treatment of the perpetrators of crime?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (2nd December 2018), Zuiko (2nd December 2018)
Old 2nd December 2018

Liked 1,333 Times in 854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Given todays compensation mentality, you could probably make a successful claim against the Education Dept for many years of mental anguish and depression, suffered as a result of being caned.
There's a balance. Children's ears were damaged in the days of boxing ears.
I remember at primary school being hit on the hand with a double sided hacksaw blade. AIRC the teeth were still on it. Fortunately I wasn't injured.

Jim
Old 2nd December 2018

Liked 457 Times in 321 Posts

Board rubbers were a good weapon for child control. The chalk dust loaded felt would leave a mark of dust on the youth. It was something the teachers coud point to when observing the inmates in the playground when they were counting up their scores for the day.

On one occasion the teachers finger nail removed a part of the kids hair and roots leaving a bald spot. This occured during an intensive learning session ie knocking the information into the students skull.
Old 2nd December 2018

Liked 1,841 Times in 1,249 Posts

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
TimP (2nd December 2018), Wally (2nd December 2018), wornish (2nd December 2018), Zuiko (2nd December 2018)
Old 2nd December 2018
Administrator

Thanked 3,007 Times in 2,338 Posts
Liked 4,148 Times in 1,939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Cheltenham strikes again! Visited in September then on returning home got a letter asking for thirty pounds for a bus lane infringement. It has made me think of not visiting with a car again. As a visitor I was having enough trouble working out how to get through traffic and did not see the signs which I am sure are there.
Sensible enforced penalties for other offences might also be what is needed. Cries of over full prisons seems to result in lesser sentences and early release.
Victims seem to be forgotten when it comes to rights and treatment of the perpetrators of crime?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Ed, sounds like your experience of Cheltenham was exactly like my own. Poisonous little town!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Ed, sounds like your experience of Cheltenham was exactly like my own. Poisonous little town!
You should come to Newcastle. The bus lane in the road past Central Station is one of the biggest earners in the country. IIRC Newcastle City Council issued something like 64,000 tickets in the first month of operation.

Just to make you feel better (and to confuse things further) white vans are allowed to use bus lanes in Newcastle, so if you make the mistake of following one (if you can keep up) you will receive a ticket!

The city council hates car drivers with a vengeance, and really doesn't want them driving into the city and spending their money in the shops. Plus it helps to keep them onside with the transport unions.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (2nd December 2018)
Old 2nd December 2018

Thanked 1,065 Times in 665 Posts
Liked 1,352 Times in 664 Posts

I see the 'numpties' have been at it again. This time, slaughtering a whole family of swans in Kent by being peppered with pellets? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-46418054

I believe these birds are protected under the Queen? If so, it will be interesting to see what the outcome for the perps will be should they ever get caught? If the puishment is to fit the crime, I'd volunteer to join the firing squad.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

MJ224 (3rd December 2018)
Old 2nd December 2018

Liked 417 Times in 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I see the 'numpties' have been at it again. This time, slaughtering a whole family of swans in Kent by being peppered with pellets? I believe these birds are protected under the Queen? If so, it will be interesting to see what the outcome for the perps will be should they ever get caught? If the puishment is to fit the crime, I'd volunteer to join the firing squad.
Count me in too. Mouth breathing oxygen thieves.
Old 2nd December 2018

Liked 1,333 Times in 854 Posts

I suspect that the police will view this as low level, low priority crime and won't commit many resources to solve it.

Jim
Old 2nd December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I see the 'numpties' have been at it again. This time, slaughtering a whole family of swans in Kent by being peppered with pellets? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-46418054

I believe these birds are protected under the Queen? If so, it will be interesting to see what the outcome for the perps will be should they ever get caught? If the puishment is to fit the crime, I'd volunteer to join the firing squad.
As the swans belong to the Crown could this not be Treason?

I would happily pull the lever.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
MJ224 (3rd December 2018)
Old 2nd December 2018

Liked 417 Times in 286 Posts

I think them belonging to the Queen is a bit of a myth and possibly only applies to a specific few swans in a particular place, BICBW.
Old 3rd December 2018

Liked 2,505 Times in 1,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Fortunately 'sellotape' takes fingerprints quite nicely.

Jim
And you can't get it off the reel with gloved hands.

Harold
Old 3rd December 2018

We have had a spate of break ins locally to steal car keys for 'high end' cars. It seems the thieves are known to the police and have travelled some distance.

Our daughter is at university in Shropshire. A number of students there own Land Rovers and there is a regular problem with organised criminals travelling out from Birmingham to steal the vehicles, or more often, parts from them.

It seems the ending of production of the Land Rover Defender a few years ago has created something of a rarity value so used parts in particular are now in high demand.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3rd December 2018

Liked 104 Times in 71 Posts

The reason most often voiced for our courts not handing out realistic custodial sentences that fit the crime is, there is no room in our prisons.

I'm sure it would be possible to form an agreement with Asian, Eastern or any other country needing additional revenue to incarcerate these scum on our behalf.

Serving time in a Bangkok jail might serve as a more effective deterrent than spending time in our prisons that seem to resemble a 2 star hotel. The overall costings would probably be a lot cheaper compared to incarceration in the UK.

Maybe after Brexit

Jax
DerekW (3rd December 2018), TimP (3rd December 2018)
Old 3rd December 2018

Liked 423 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
The reason most often voiced for our courts not handing out realistic custodial sentences that fit the crime is, there is no room in our prisons.

I'm sure it would be possible to form an agreement with Asian, Eastern or any other country needing additional revenue to incarcerate these scum on our behalf.

Serving time in a Bangkok jail might serve as a more effective deterrent than spending time in our prisons that seem to resemble a 2 star hotel. The overall costings would probably be a lot cheaper compared to incarceration in the UK.

Maybe after Brexit

Jax
The reason there is no room in prisons is because a lot of innapropriate incarceration goes on. You’re more likely to get a custodial sentence for hacking than for a violent crime. I find it a little scary that (notwithstanding the executions), the state of Texas has a more progressive approach to incarceration than the U.K. (and they’re reducing crime and saving money).