Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 23rd November 2018

Liked 2,071 Times in 1,369 Posts
Re: Is this a conspiracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
#rake America great again
More like '#rake America grate again.'

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 23rd November 2018
Banned

Liked 128 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
I don't think it's a case of being gullible. I think it's a case that some believe that the "establishment" is hiding secret plans to pursue a hidden agenda, usually to the detriment of the common man. This sort of thinking inevitably leads to negative opinions of any source of authority, with the most negative opinions reserved for those who are most different or remote to us. In a nutshell, the conspiracy mindset is perfect for the Brexit mindset.

I'm suspicious of the motives of all religious organisations since they possess that most dangerous of ideas - faith.

Probably. I was never a fan of TB - a man of faith in more ways than one.

I think that Diana's death is pretty obvious isn't it - a drunk/drugged driver driving at crazy speeds in a crowded city whilst trying to outrun intrusive journalists. Her injuries were fatal because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt (one person survived the crash - the only one wearing a seatbelt). What more is there to it?
Your photographic skills and expertise are clearly beyond dispute in the same way your literary skills excel. Sadly however, your comprehension of reality and all things practical, is non existent.

Jax
Old 23rd November 2018

Liked 1,454 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Having seen Rees-Mogg and co I am now open to the alien integration in our society theory
The cartoonist Steve Bell used to show John Redwood naked but without any navel nipples or genitals, but with a pair of antenna.

Jim
The Following User Liked This Post:
Bengeo (23rd November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
On face value the cause of the accident was blindingly obvious, which is probably how it was meant to be; but there remain many unexplained factors such the mixed up blood samples and unexplained high levels of CO in the driver's blood. And why was a professional driver drinking whilst on duty in the first place? Maybe the paparazzi were just a convenient scapegoat?

There was also the reported bright flash in the tunnel which has never been explained.

Just saying......
I've always found that Occam's Razor has been as useful a tool as my Swiss army knife.

I was talking to a group of perfectly ordinary, well spoken, middle aged gents a couple of years ago. It quickly became evident that they were 'Chemtrail' 'roll and butters'!

Jim
Old 23rd November 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Your photographic skills and expertise are clearly beyond dispute in the same way your literary skills excel. Sadly however, your comprehension of reality and all things practical, is non existent.
Wow - just wow!

Please give us a list of conspiracy theories you subscribe to - just to entertain us. I love hearing them!

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
pdk42 (23rd November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Thanked 1,180 Times in 884 Posts
Liked 5,643 Times in 1,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post

Jax
Thank you.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
Steveee (6th December 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Liked 289 Times in 143 Posts

Anyone else noticed how authoritarian and coercive progressives are? They love to pontificate about how everyone else is an idiot or somehow blind, unable to grasp simple [leftist] concepts. It's getting annoying. Notice the ad hominem attacks, how they quote higher authorities in arguments, and question one's qualification to hold specific opinions. And they think that because idiot-rags like the Guardian do it, then it's ok for them to do it. Straight out of Saul Alinsky's playbook for the progressive activist.

Progressives are state-worshippers, who believe they are more evolved than the 'gullible'. The rest of us are not stupid though. I'm a libertarian, i don't trust governments, i don't trust politicians or bureaucrats - power corrupts. I don't appreciate state surveillance. I want less of it all, no nanny state please, less collective solutions, more autonomy for the family and individualism, more self-responsibilty.

But i'm an idiot apparently. Because why, i reject political correctness, the mob, groupthink, and SJWs with their transgender hysteria? I'm failing to see what the far-left can contribute outside of a playground of 16 yo schoolgirl activist utopianists.

The Guardian is just confirmation bias for those that think they've got it all sussed. De-politicise yourselves folks, you-re supposed to be free thinking and educated ffs

This forum would be wise to scrap political discussions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (23rd November 2018), pdk42 (24th November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredman View Post
Anyone else noticed how authoritarian and coercive progressives are? They love to pontificate about how everyone else is an idiot or somehow blind, unable to grasp simple [leftist] concepts. It's getting annoying. Notice the ad hominem attacks, how they quote higher authorities in arguments, and question one's qualification to hold specific opinions. And they think that because idiot-rags like the Guardian do it, then it's ok for them to do it. Straight out of Saul Alinsky's playbook for the progressive activist.

Progressives are state-worshippers, who believe they are more evolved than the 'gullible'. The rest of us are not stupid though. I'm a libertarian, i don't trust governments, i don't trust politicians or bureaucrats - power corrupts. I don't appreciate state surveillance. I want less of it all, no nanny state please, less collective solutions, more autonomy for the family and individualism, more self-responsibilty.

But i'm an idiot apparently. Because why, i reject political correctness, the mob, groupthink, and SJWs with their transgender hysteria? I'm failing to see what the far-left can contribute outside of a playground of 16 yo schoolgirl activist utopianists.

The Guardian is just confirmation bias for those that think they've got it all sussed. De-politicise yourselves folks, you-re supposed to be free thinking and educated ffs

This forum would be wise to scrap political discussions.
Good to see you've figured it all out.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Bengeo (23rd November 2018), Internaut (23rd November 2018), Jim Ford (23rd November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Quote:
Good to see you've figured it all out.
I notice stuff but i'm not particularly articulate. I'm sure you get my drift. People out there are not less intelligent than you, they may simply have different solutions.

Old 23rd November 2018

Liked 564 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredman View Post
...... I want less of it all, no nanny state please, less collective solutions, more autonomy for the family and individualism, more self-responsibilty.
Whilst Iíd be the first to decry the nanny state you canít help but give it credit for saving many lives and reducing workplace injuries over the years. Autonomy for the family? Really? Too many people are far too thick to be able to handle that or even grasp whet it might entail. Without the nanny state that idea isnít going to end well. More self responsibility, whilst an admirable aim isnít going to work too well either as were back to the selfish, self entitled thick people.
bredman (23rd November 2018), Naughty Nigel (23rd November 2018)
Old 23rd November 2018

Liked 2,071 Times in 1,369 Posts

You both have valid points, but referring back to the post #1 this morning there is a clear insinuation that Leave voters are more gullible than Remainders. In my view such slurs are unhelpful and do nothing to encourage free thought or heal divisions.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 23rd November 2018

I never accused leavers (or anyone) of being more gullible. My original post was a link to a study, the credentials of which you can see by looking at the link, together with two quotes from it.

The data speak for themselves and it seems there is a link (and a strong one at that) between belief in conspiracy theories and support for Brexit. That is not a coincidence and I think it's clear that there's an underlying belief pattern that supports both.

As for ad hominem attacks - I only see two here and they both seem to be addressed at me. But that's OK.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 23rd November 2018

Liked 564 Times in 375 Posts

Perhaps slurs on leave voters are justified depending on the reasons for the vote?

Racists deserve slurs perhaps but someone voting for purely financial reasons surely much less so?

Several ‘perhaps’ in there.
Old 23rd November 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Whilst Iíd be the first to decry the nanny state you canít help but give it credit for saving many lives and reducing workplace injuries over the years. Autonomy for the family? Really? Too many people are far too thick to be able to handle that or even grasp whet it might entail. Without the nanny state that idea isnít going to end well. More self responsibility, whilst an admirable aim isnít going to work too well either as were back to the selfish, self entitled thick people.
Indeed, with liberty comes great individual responsibility. An immense challenge. If only we were given an education to match it, rather than one that pushes us the other way. It would help.

The libertarian mantra is, to own the self - and act accordingly. I do believe we have the potential, and that it would be preferable to Orwell's 1984.

It's not only that governments/politicians shouldn't be trusted, but that they are incompetent. It is said, a person is smart, but people are stupid.

Old 23rd November 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
You both have valid points, but referring back to the post #1 this morning there is a clear insinuation that Leave voters are more gullible than Remainders. In my view such slurs are unhelpful and do nothing to encourage free thought or heal divisions.
I think that there were far more Leavers that believed the £350 Million for the NHS, written on a bus and promoted by a political opportunist and serial liar, than Remainers!

Jim
Bengeo (23rd November 2018), Internaut (23rd November 2018), IPWheatley (24th November 2018)