Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 26th March 2018

Liked 403 Times in 187 Posts
Re: Lightroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I understand why some might be horrified about subscription licensing, but it's the way the software industry is going. I can promise you that the cost of developing software is truly eye-watering and if we want the new features, new cameras, support etc then at some point we, collectively, need to pay for it.

An Adobe CC subscription is under £10/month. How much is a new Macbook Pro? - £2k for a decent one at least. That's 15-20 years of LR subscriptions. And don't even start to think about the cost of the gear, the outings, the prints etc. If you used to use film, how much did you spend on that and its processing?

Personally, I don't think that under £10 a month (3 posh coffees) is a crazy sum to pay for the top two photo editing apps available (LR + PS). You also get versions for tablets, a portfolio site builder and cloud storage. Factor in your time to migrate to other apps and figure out how to preserve historical edits and it makes even more sense.
I “hear” what you are saying, I have 2 MBP’s, one for London and one for Nairobi as I travel long haul quite often. I have to say I never really understood photoshop and got on much better with Lightroom CC. I sometimes toy with the idea of going back to Lightroom, but why be tied into a monthly sub. I read and understood your rationale, but it’s clear not everyone finds the £10 a month, an appealing commitment.

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
Old 26th March 2018
Yorkie

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Yorkie

I have been playing with capture1 on the try function for a month and today taken the plunge and purchased. I find it better that LR for editing without being as heavy as PhotoShop.
Try it for the 30 day trial and see what you think, you may be surprised as I was.

OMD EM-1 MkII, 40-150mm Pro, 12-40mm Pro, 75-300mm, Oly 60mm f2.8 Macro, Oly 45mm, FL-50R, Manfrotto 190XPro/Mag Head

Gallery and web site at: http://harphoto.smugmug.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Yorkie For This Useful Post:
sapper (26th March 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Greytop (26th March 2018), griffljg (27th March 2018)
Old 27th March 2018

Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

I'm with Paul all the way on this. I just don't understand how anyone who spends thousands of pounds on photography gear can baulk at what amounts to less than the price of a pint a week for the finest photo editing system going. I have used the trial versions of some of the competition but always come back to Adobe as nothing else compares, been using it since CS1. Regards, IW.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Grumpy Hec (5th April 2018)
Old 27th March 2018
Yorkie

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Yorkie

For me it is not about the money it is usability I want.

LR is very good and worth the small cost each month, I may even pay more for Capture 1 in the long run.

I actually prefer the way capture 1 works and the way I interface with the software: it is very personal I know so try it and see but please do not be fooled into thinking Adobe are the only provider of good software. They used to be but they ve been caught up and some may say surpassed!

OMD EM-1 MkII, 40-150mm Pro, 12-40mm Pro, 75-300mm, Oly 60mm f2.8 Macro, Oly 45mm, FL-50R, Manfrotto 190XPro/Mag Head

Gallery and web site at: http://harphoto.smugmug.com/
Greytop (27th March 2018), griffljg (27th March 2018)
Old 27th March 2018

Liked 1,281 Times in 303 Posts

As Paul and IPW have mentioned, the subscription for LR and PS isn't so bad when you consider the package provided.

For those who don't want to pay a monthly subscription, keep an eye on Amazon as occasionally they reduce the cost of a year's subscription.

For the last two years I've purchase an annual subscription for LR and PS for circa £65.00 per annum, this is a pretty good saving on the monthly subscription charge and works out at less than £6.00 per month.

Dave
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
OM USer (27th March 2018), pault (27th March 2018), wornish (27th March 2018)
Old 27th March 2018

Liked 316 Times in 162 Posts

The subscription is good value for money IF you need or want to use Lightroom and Photoshop regularly.

I first started using Photoshop (in work) when it was £400 or so a copy in the late 1990s. Just to open the software you had to put down a massive chunk of money so you had to be very sure you'd use it and either be rich enough to do that yourself or see an expected return on your work with it once you'd struggled through the manual and tutorials.
I have to say that piracy even in quite large organisations was rife so I can see why Adobe moved to online verification as soon as was practical.

The trial and "pay as you go" model is much better way to get your foot in the door but Adobe don't just sell PAYG - it's usually an annual subscription paid monthly.
I do have an issue with the "£10 a month" claim. If I could rent CC for £10 a month on the months I want to use it and not in the months I don't I wouldn't have an issue but it's usually an annual licence charged monthly.
I note since I last looked at this there is mention of a "month to month" subscription that wasn't there a few months back when I last looked into this.

A good friend of mine fell on hard times last autumn and trying to cut his expenditure while he waited for Universal Credit to come through (he's a working single parent) he thought he could cancel his recently renewed CC until he needed it for the next paying project in two months time.
Imagine his horror when he got an invoice for 6 months subscription AND was told his use of the software would end at the end of the current billing month. Instead of saving £20 he paid £10 for the first month and was invoiced £60 for early cancellation.

Quote:
Annual subscription (paid monthly)
If you cancel within 14 days of your order, you will receive a full refund.
If you cancel after 14 days, your service will continue until the end of that month’s billing period, and you’ll be charged an early termination fee of 50% of your remaining contract obligation. For example, if you have 5 months of your contract left when you cancel and you pay $20/month, you’d pay 50% of the $100 remaining balance = $50 early termination fee.
https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-accou...scription.html

Note the 14 days cooling off period relates ONLY to the first 12 months annual subscription. If your annual sub renews you don't get the grace period.

I don't think that's a particularly reasonable contract and I don't think it's the same as "£10 a month" unless you've got that "month to month" subscription.

EDIT _ looking here I can't see a way to buy anything for the Photographer on a "month to month" subscription only the "All Apps" plan which includes Illustrator etc. and jumps from £49.94 per month to £75.85 on month to month.
https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/plans.html
Gate Keeper (27th March 2018), Greytop (27th March 2018)
Old 27th March 2018

Liked 403 Times in 187 Posts

Great post AMc which shows the other side to the discussion. Thank you for making those valid points.

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc
AMc (27th March 2018), Greytop (27th March 2018)
Old 27th March 2018

Liked 459 Times in 323 Posts

My concern with the subscription model is that when I only want to use it to see the images I have already created when I have stopped taking pictures, I do not like the thought of being locked out of my edited pictures - unless I do a massive export run to create Jpegs of all my images and and then dump Lightroom.
Old 28th March 2018

Even out if subscription basic editing and viewing are available as I understand it. Worth checking it out if that’s your only objection.
I tend to export anything I like as full size jpg anyway and I shoot and keep raw and jpg so that would never really be a problem for me.
Old 28th March 2018

Liked 1,137 Times in 564 Posts

About two weeks after I have created the jpg that I want I delete the original Raw file. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I wished I had kept the Raw file in the last 5 or more years. It saves hundreds of gigabytes of disk space that I don't have to back up regularly. Plus my computer doesn't have to keep loading a huge catalog of images.

If I was a pro photographer who for example did wedding shots then I would keep the raw files. But as an amateur the jpgs are sufficient.

My Flickr
Old 28th March 2018

Sure - it depends on what and how you shoot.
I used to only shoot JPG because I didn't do much editing and didn't want to buy lots of SD cards and hard drives.
I now realise that storage is so cheap that was a short sighted decision based on how bad I was at post processing back then.
I now look back on stuff I shot before and wish I could reprocess it but as you say it's rare to actually do that.

If you shoot a lot of sports or wildlife and take hundreds of shots I can see that binning the RAW makes sense.
I shoot a max of 150 images a day so I'm now resigned to carrying a couple more cards and buying bigger hard drives for my PC and externals for backup.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Gate Keeper (30th March 2018)
Old 29th March 2018

Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts

I pay £10.10 per month to Adobe subscription which gives me the latest LR, PS/Bridge and some others I don't use. I am building a new, high spec PC (after deciding a Mac was way too expensive) and plan to add Premiere Pro at some point. I think what I am paying is excellent value for money and if the monthly subscription wasn't available I would still be using old, dubiously obtained, versions of the programs. For me, Adobe introducing subscriptions was the best move ever.

Steve
Gate Keeper (30th March 2018), Grumpy Hec (5th April 2018), IPWheatley (30th March 2018)
Old 29th April 2018

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

I've had to re-install lightroom 6due to a comp crash - however when I try to import photos in it doesn't recognise the photos (orf) - now I seem to have a vague recollection that I had to do something within lightroom previously but I cannot for the life of me remember what I did - nor does google give me any hints either.

Any help anyone?

Matt
Old 29th April 2018

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Sorted, it wasn't updating itself so I had to manually update the software.

Matt
Old 29th April 2018

Liked 1,201 Times in 469 Posts

Latest update seems to have (re)moved the ability to select camera colour profiles...

Anyone know where they've hidden it?

It also stopped doing my custom import settings need to re-enable them!

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...