Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 23rd January 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Heather learning "Do Ra Mi" for the 1st time... had fun tonight...

Hi All

Well, I haven't really been into the iMovie recording suite that is available on the Macbook, but this evening I thought I'd have a go at recording something for fun. So, ever the poser, Heather agreed for me to record her learning "Do Ra Mi" on her piano (which we recently moved from the conservatory to the lounge - cold in the conservatory in winter you see!!) for the 1st time. She started learning this during her lesson with her piano tutor last night, and is very self motivated, very willing to sit and work out how to do it.

So... here's Heather and her #1st attempt at "Do Ra Mi". I will record another version in a few days to see how she's progressing... we sure had some fun doing this.

Old 23rd January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Heather learning "Do Ra Mi" for the 1st time... had fun tonight...

Good for her, I look forward to seeing the next one.

I remember ages ago being told that pianos should be on an outside wall if at all possible, same with a barometer. Any idea why?
Old 23rd January 2009

Liked 2,056 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post

I remember ages ago being told that pianos should be on an outside wall if at all possible, same with a barometer. Any idea why?
Yes: If the wooden sound board dries out too much it can crack, ruining the piano.

Our piano tuner told us to keep an ice cream tub full of water in the bottom just to maintain humidity. (Take the front panel off beneth the keyboard).

Old pianos were never designed for centrally heated houses!

Wel done to Heather too. Music practice can be a drag, but it is well worth it in the end. Keep it up.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 23rd January 2009

Liked 635 Times in 234 Posts

Well done Heather from us two.

Regards. Barr1e (+ Anne)
Old 24th January 2009

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Yes, you need to check humidity for pianos and stringed instruments. You can get a hygrometer for a few on many music websites which will tell you when you need to put more water in the tub! For strings there's a thing called a 'Damppit' which is a perforated rubber tube with a moisture holding core, which you just soak and then push through one of the 'f' holes on the instrument. They come in various sizes from violin to double bass (but probably not for piano!) It's a necessity for older instuments.

Andrew
Old 24th January 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,063 Times in 2,381 Posts
Liked 4,278 Times in 2,011 Posts

Well done Heather, your Dad has a right to feel proud!

I didn't realise the importance of correct humidity to musical instruments. One thing I love about this forum is that I learn so much about subjects other than photography!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th January 2009

Thanks for replying folks, we did enjoy practicing for it. It's nothing special really performance wise, as I was merely testing out the built in camera on the Macbook with the video editing software that is also supplied as part of Mac OSx. The software is suprisingly good, and - not suprisingly - easy to use.

I am impressed with Heathers ability to pick up a new piece so quickly. She played it to us when she came home from her lesson on Thursday and having only just seen it, it was as expected, very messy. She spent 15 mins on it yesterday and Jen & I were amazed... she had worked out what you saw her play on this video all by herself.

Part of why I want to do this is so that I can show her how good she is on the piano because I rekon over this weekend she will perfect that piece and will have added another party piece to her repertoire

If you're interested, I'll pop that one on here too when (if) it's done.

Old 24th January 2009
E-P1 fan

Is that a digital piano John? My M-in-L has a Yamaha which looks and sounds like yours - really good - ALWAYS in tune - no need for all the faff of keeping an acoustic piano sounding as it should
Old 24th January 2009

Hi E-1 fan, yep it is an electric piano, it's a Casio Celviano AP-33. At one point we did have an upright piano, but as you say these always need care and attention, so we decided to sell that one many years ago. We bought Heather this one for Christmas about two years ago after she started playing regularly on my synths. She then took up piano lessons and seems to be really enjoying it.

It's a super little electric piano, Heather loves it. It can record and sequence too, Heather uses this to record say the melody line, then plays this back and tried to learn the (harder) Bass line. It really works a treat. It also has a few different sounds such as organ, strings etc (but I have all of those in abundance on my synths - which can be hooked up to this keyboard if required). Talking of that, I suprised the heck out of Heather once when I set up the channels so when the Casio was played, it actually triggered my Access Synth - you should have seen the look on Hevs face when she pressed a key... hehehe wicked Dad eh!

This is it:

Old 24th January 2009
E-P1 fan

Yep I wanted to have one here to replace our Edwardian upright but was 'over-ruled'.
I was really impressed with the quality and feel and sound of the Yamaha and Casio uprights I tried (and I'm an ex musician too).

Best of all words I reckon - though nowhere in the same league as a decent Steinway etc of course.

But a great practical compromise. Maybe in time I'll get my way.... now where can I buy some woodworm
Old 24th January 2009

Liked 861 Times in 337 Posts

Well done Heather, very brave letting your dad put it on here.
John, I went to a music shop t'other day and they had no pianos or keyboards. Assistant told me the net has killed off their business. Do you know of a high st retailer that keep 'em in stock.
Old 24th January 2009

Liked 2,056 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Well done Heather, very brave letting your dad put it on here.
John, I went to a music shop t'other day and they had no pianos or keyboards. Assistant told me the net has killed off their business. Do you know of a high st retailer that keep 'em in stock.
I don't know where you live David, but Dolphin music has quite a few largish branches, and the staff are helpful. Strangely, we went into the independent music shop in Northallerton this afternoon and they were really busy. Very helpful people there too.

Talking of humidity, organs also suffer from warm dry conditions, as the wind chests, bellows, an some of pipes are made from wood. Some of these parts are also lined with leather, which can dry out. This is rarely a problem in churches, as they are usually cool and damp, but organs in concert halls can be badly damaged by central heating.

On the other hand, very cold and damp conditions cause 'ciphering', where a note keeps on playing long after the key or pedal has been released. This can be a right PIA, as there is usually no way of stopping it other than pushing in the stop concerned.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 24th January 2009

Liked 861 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I don't know where you live David, but Dolphin music has quite a few largish branches, and the staff are helpful. Strangely, we went into the independent music shop in Northallerton this afternoon and they were really busy. Very helpful people there too.

Talking of humidity, organs also suffer from warm dry conditions, as the wind chests, bellows, an some of pipes are made from wood. Some of these parts are also lined with leather, which can dry out. This is rarely a problem in churches, as they are usually cool and damp, but organs in concert halls can be badly damaged by central heating.

On the other hand, very cold and damp conditions cause 'ciphering', where a note keeps on playing long after the key or pedal has been released.
Thanks for this Nigel.
I am in Kent, will look on the web for Dolphin.
Cheers, Dave.
Old 24th January 2009
mike_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post

I always thought that bagpipes should be outside - preferably a long way away.