Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 23rd December 2007
Scapula Memory

Arrow Corel PSP PX2

Just wondering if anyone here uses or has tried Corels Paint Shop Pro Photo X2? ( crikey what a title)

If so any comments good or bad? I have been playing about with the trial for a day or so and so far this is actually looking quite good for my needs. It is a bit slow, think of Studio 2 with a 20% increase in speed, but not critical for what I want to do.

I suppose really what I am asking is if anyone has found some major pitfalls? Most reviews seem to commend it, but real life users can tell a better story.

TIA

John.
Old 23rd December 2007

Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Re: Corel PSP PX2

I have thought about trying it, but also about Ac DC which has a free trial available. Right now I use photoshop elements 6 and find it very good though it has no facility that I can find for HD processing, any comments would be appreciated.
Old 23rd December 2007
Ijay37

Hi I havn't used the newer PSPs but I have been using PSP 8 for a number of years and I find it a easier to use than Photoshop. PSP 8 is a version prior to Corel and I don't know what extras corel have added.
Regards John
Old 23rd December 2007
Scapula Memory

yorky, I did play about with the HDR in Corel yesterday and found it simplicity to use. Never toyed with HDR before and not sure if I need it just yet. This lamp picture was 5 exposures, then given the HDR treatment, then 2 other effects added. The thing is from shooting the images to uploading here only took about 10 minutes.

A weird picture I admit, but this is the fastest I have ever worked!

John
Old 23rd December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used PSP up to PSPX. The lack of RAW support is what put me off. I used to use Rawshooter which would only do RAW, very well, and PSPX which would not do RAW. I switched to Lightroom and Elements 6 which both do both. I use layers for HDR effects.
Old 23rd December 2007

Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts

Yes, Its certainly weird? I too am not sure at HDR as yet though it does look good on some of the sites. Still thinking about downloading the trial.
Old 24th December 2007
Napper

I actually use PSP X2 and Elements 6, Both have + and minuses but together they are a very comprehensive package. Elements providing the RAW support and generally better layer manipulation. PSP is quicker at batch conversions elements (well on my PC anyway) seems to loose itself and take an age. I'm still playing with them both although I do default to Elements. hey are actually very similar graphically and in much of the menu content so it is fairly intuitive to switch between them. I have not got into HR yet but as has been said PSP does support this directly however I think that using Layers and merging in Elements has the same effect (not sure of this) As far as photo organization goes I think that Elements has the upper hand however I now use Imatch which is superb easy and quick to organize or re-organize images.