Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 1st June 2018
Stock Shooter

Liked 52 Times in 29 Posts
Win 10 update problem - Help please

I am running Windows 10, and have a problem with an update, Microsoft tells me:

“2018-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4103727)

Your device is at risk because it's out of date and missing important security and quality updates. Let's get you back on track so Windows can run more securely. Select this button to get going:”

The button it wants me to click is “Restart now”.

I have done that numerous times, to no effect.

I thought I might be able to delete the update and start again, but does not appear in the list of updates, so I cannot do that.

Any suggestions please?

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
Old 1st June 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,261 Times in 742 Posts
Re: Win 10 update problem - Help please

You really need to try to get the Windows 10 "Fall Edition" as soon as possible.

It's effectively W10.1 and solves a lot of issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...get-the-update

Good luck

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 1st June 2018

Liked 930 Times in 588 Posts

You could also try and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter available from ( settings - update and security - troubleshoot )

Your problem may not be with the specific update reported but with the Windows Update Program itself being stuck or corrupted. Restoring the PC back to a date just prior to the last successful update has worked for me, providing the system lets you do it, there is a date available and you're happy to lose any downloaded programs after that date.

John
Old 1st June 2018
Stock Shooter

John,

Thanks I will try the troubleshooter first. I presumed that the downloaded update must be corrupted, but I am not sure if I can restore it to an earlier date. Here goes. ..

Old 1st June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
John,

Thanks I will try the troubleshooter first. I presumed that the downloaded update must be corrupted, but I am not sure if I can restore it to an earlier date. Here goes. ..
You need to check the date of the last successful update first then if possible select a restore point before that date. Hopefully this will restore Win Update and you can then check for any req or pending updates.

Good luck

John
Old 1st June 2018
Stock Shooter

Troubleshooter found and fixed two problems, but the damaged update remained unfixed.

So I went for the update, which took just 4 1/2 hours. I have got a fairly fast broadband connection, but even so the download took a good while. It all seems to be working fine now. At one time I used to ask Microsoft if I had a problem like this, but no more. I never ever got a reply I could understand. This forum is where I always get good help.

Many thanks all. . .

The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (1st June 2018), Graham_of_Rainham (1st June 2018), Johnheatingman (1st June 2018), OM USer (3rd June 2018), Zuiko (1st June 2018)
Old 1st June 2018

Liked 88 Times in 62 Posts

I'm appalled by the poor quality of software sold to the public (and I say this as someone who spent many years working in software development). Expecting the user to spend 4.5 hours mending it is shocking. There is a very easy fix to all Windows problems. Get legislation in place so that Microsoft have to recall and fix any computers in which their software fails, and recompense the users too (just as a car manufacturer would if their gear boxes had a fault). even better, fine Bill Gates and take a day off the holiday allowance of all Microsoft senior execs for every fault affecting 1,000 or more users. Very quickly we'd have much more reliable software.
Old 1st June 2018

Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
I'm appalled by the poor quality of software sold to the public (and I say this as someone who spent many years working in software development). Expecting the user to spend 4.5 hours mending it is shocking. There is a very easy fix to all Windows problems. Get legislation in place so that Microsoft have to recall and fix any computers in which their software fails, and recompense the users too (just as a car manufacturer would if their gear boxes had a fault). even better, fine Bill Gates and take a day off the holiday allowance of all Microsoft senior execs for every fault affecting 1,000 or more users. Very quickly we'd have much more reliable software.
The major problem with your solution is that Microsoft have no control over the millions of variations of hardware that uses it! And I certainly wouldn't want to see Windows only available for Microsoft produced PCs -- as Mac is only available for Apple produced computers. The Apple way makes their software development much simpler as they know exactly what hardware will be using Mac, but also drives prices sky-high as there's no competition.

As I understand it, Microsoft do their best to ensure that updates are only applied to proven systems, but they do rely on users keeping their computers up to date

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
The Following User Says Thank You to CJJE For This Useful Post:
Johnheatingman (1st June 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (3rd June 2018)
Old 2nd June 2018
Stock Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
I think you are being a bit harsh on Microsoft here. Their operating system has to work with a very large number of different manufacturers computers, and thousands of software applications. There is continuous development in the industry that requires new features to be added, not to mention all the malicious attacks that have to be countered.

I had a failure in an update meant to counter one of these security threats. I worked for over 40 years as a Chartered Engineer, so I have a realistic view that failures happen and have to be dealt with.

In early life of the computer, in a warranty period, it is reasonable that the supplier should repair it if something goes wrong.

I bought my present PC six years ago. The label on the front of it boasts that it has Windows 7. I have installed every system upgrade that has come out since then, and I think this is the only time I needed to ask for any help.

Of course, during the upgrade, I checked now and again that it was continuing. But I did not have to intervene at all during the installation process, only to spend about 5 minutes at the end to select which new feature options I wanted to select.

Microsoft dealt with my 6 year old computer and did it well.

I have a friend in the USA, a like minded stock photographer. He recently bought a new 13" Apple MacBookPro, and while he set out to install Adobe CC, the Mac told him it needed to update the Operating System. He did, but it took 6 hours.

Bill Gates did indeed make a lot of money, but seems to me to be spending it on very good Charitable causes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pjphoto59 For This Useful Post:
Johnheatingman (2nd June 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Crazy Dave (2nd June 2018), drmarkf (2nd June 2018), Johnheatingman (2nd June 2018)
Old 2nd June 2018

I agree totally with Peter's comments and viewpoint.

It seems whenever a Windows 10 computer develops a fault or crashes, the user immediately blames the operating system. The true cause could be many things including hardware or installed software, malware, virus, in fact possibilities numbering into the 1000's.

Windows 10 has it's faults and annoying features such as it's invasiveness , lack of privacy and forced updates but it has actually matured into a very stable system with millions of satisfied users. As with any product, we only see the negative comments which in the case of Windows 10, is probably a tiny percentage of actual users.

I do use Linux on an older net-book that previously had Win XP installed and find it very useful and stable. It does however need a lot more knowledge and skill to use than Win 10 which has obviously been designed with features to suit users with all levels of computer skills.

The Windows vs Apple vs Linux arguments will always be with us no matter how good any system proves to be.

John
Old 2nd June 2018

Liked 297 Times in 205 Posts

I am having the exact same problem with my daughter's Win 10 laptop.

E-M1 Mk1 & Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 2nd June 2018
Stock Shooter

Well you have all the info here about what to do!

My wife also has a laptop, and a couple of weeks ago she asked me to come and help with it. What she had on her screen was the options that come up with this new version of W10. It must have downloaded and installed the new version overnight. I just read what it said in the boxes and decided what to accept and what not.

Good luck with your daughters, (I presume you are her IT department). But leave plenty of time.

Old 3rd June 2018

Thanked 1,293 Times in 1,236 Posts
Liked 1,030 Times in 714 Posts

I just wish that all the applications were sandboxed from the OS and from each other so if say there was an OS fault you could just run a repair (or a rollback) and it would be fixed without upsetting anything you had done since the last snapshot.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 3rd June 2018

Liked 297 Times in 205 Posts

Well I had a crack at update Win 10 but it failed. I then found two fixes to the updater but following that I has two more failures. The update downloaded, was verified and then at about 70% of the update, the screen said `Something went wrong, You can contact Microsoft support for help with this error - 0x80070652'. Found a list of error codes on Microsoft support but this one wasn't one of them,
Any ideas of a next step guys???

E-M1 Mk1 & Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 3rd June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Well I had a crack at update Win 10 but it failed. I then found two fixes to the updater but following that I has two more failures. The update downloaded, was verified and then at about 70% of the update, the screen said `Something went wrong, You can contact Microsoft support for help with this error - 0x80070652'. Found a list of error codes on Microsoft support but this one wasn't one of them,
Any ideas of a next step guys???
Just type 0x80070652 into the address bar or do a Google search. There seems to be dozens of articles and suggested fixes online for that Error Code. ( I haven't read them all ).

Also Dave, make sure you disable any Anti Virus or similar software you may have on the PC before trying to fix the problem. As suggested to Peter, (Piphoto) you can always restore the PC to an earlier date than the update failure. This will allow Windows to try the update again later or you can do it yourself manually.

Good luck,

John