Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P2

Olympus Pen E-P2 The second Micro Four Thirds system camera from Olympus, this time with a clip-on high resolution viewfinder.

Old 23rd February 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Been offered an EP2

The EP2 still remains an excellent camera, especially with the 17mm and viewfinder. I have this same combination which I used on a recent assignment in which I was privileged to take a former President of the United States on a trip through Africa. I photographed a book of the trip for him, all shot on an EP2. I also used the same equipment for a reportage in North Korea. Don't hesitate; buy it.
Old 23rd February 2015

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,079 Posts
Liked 1,412 Times in 741 Posts

Welcome back Garrie and yes definitely go for it, a real bargain bundle. I think it's going to a very worthy home. I too will look forward to the image posts.
Old 24th February 2015

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

The E-P2 was my first micro 4/3 camera. Loved it so much I found after 6 months I hadn't touched my Canon 5D set-up, so sold that to buy more lenses. Took the E-P2 to China and have beautiful photos from there. Still have the E-P2 which has a Lensbaby permanently attached now while I use the E-M1 for all other photography. So in summary - Go For It!
Old 24th February 2015
Administrator

Thanked 2,958 Times in 2,297 Posts
Liked 3,857 Times in 1,813 Posts

Hmmm, I'm having second thoughts about this deal - I think you should hold out for an 8gb memory card and a couple of spare batteries to be thrown in too! Oh, and a bag to put it all in!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th February 2015
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

HAHA John, I think that might be pushing it a bit.. Thanks Guys :-)

The person I'm buying it from is going to dig it all out over the next few days so it looks like by Friday I should be firmly back having a Oly camera again.

The camera hasn't been used for 3 years so its sitting doing nothing at the moment, I hope to put it to the test at the weekend and even have a derelict lined up for said test.

Can't wait. Wonder if there is a cheap wide angle lens for micro 4/3rds

I wonder if I can even take/post process a photograph anymore, feeling a bit nervous having to learn it all again.

Thanks for welcoming me back, I've noticed a lot of people seem to come back to Olympus after being away or using another make of camera. I can't help feeling Olympus is like a personal life choice and it becomes part of you for some reason. Maybe I'm just being a nostalgic old fool
Old 24th February 2015
Administrator

Thanked 2,958 Times in 2,297 Posts
Liked 3,857 Times in 1,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
HAHA John, I think that might be pushing it a bit.. Thanks Guys :-)

The person I'm buying it from is going to dig it all out over the next few days so it looks like by Friday I should be firmly back having a Oly camera again.

The camera hasn't been used for 3 years so its sitting doing nothing at the moment, I hope to put it to the test at the weekend and even have a derelict lined up for said test.

Can't wait. Wonder if there is a cheap wide angle lens for micro 4/3rds

I wonder if I can even take/post process a photograph anymore, feeling a bit nervous having to learn it all again.

Thanks for welcoming me back, I've noticed a lot of people seem to come back to Olympus after being away or using another make of camera. I can't help feeling Olympus is like a personal life choice and it becomes part of you for some reason. Maybe I'm just being a nostalgic old fool
Oooh, looking forward to some derelict pictures from you - better brush up on your tone mapping skills.!

Unfortunately ultra wides for MFT, such as the 9-18mm or 7-14mm are very expensive. The 12-50mm does give you 24mm full frame equivalent at the wide end, though, and second hand is much more reasonably priced.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th February 2015

Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts

Grab it quick, the viewfinder sells for nearly that price alone. You should enjoy the camera with that combination.
Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to yorky For This Useful Post:
Garrie (24th February 2015)
Old 24th February 2015
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Hi,

Would this memory card work okay in it or is it a bit over kill?

http://www.7dayshop.com/32gb-sd-card...card-32gb-7572

or would this one be better?

http://www.7dayshop.com/32gb-sd-card...0-320mins-7489

Feels though I'm asking the most basic of questions, Memory cards have changed loads, I was using Sandisk Extreme 3/4 CF cards in my E3, SD cards are totally new to me.

Thanks
Garrie
Old 24th February 2015

Liked 296 Times in 204 Posts

SD cards are really cheap at the moment and those deals are superb. I would be tempted to go for lower capacity cards (say 16GB) and buy a few rather than risking a larger one such as 32 or 64GB. Less to lose if one of the cards dies. I have to replace some of mine when the safety tabs broke off - they are unusable then in terms of the camera. You might want to check if the EP2 has a maximum SD card size that it can take, just to be on the safe side.

E-M1 Mk1 & Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 24th February 2015

Liked 146 Times in 102 Posts

Yeah go for smaller cards but more than one.
You never know if the biggest latest and greatest will play nicely with a camera which was intruduced when 4gig were the commonest card size and they were all lower speeds.
Old 3rd March 2015
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Looks like I get my new to me camera tomorrow,

EP2 Body (silver)
17mm f2.8 + uv filter
VF 2
Leather case + strap
SD card
Battery + charger
Cables + CD
Instructions

Got it for 120 in the end. Can't wait to get taking some photographs

Thanks for all the advice.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (4th March 2015)
Old 4th March 2015

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Welcome back.

Sounds like a great deal. I still have the exact same set-up which I use at different times. I've even started to let my children have a go with it.

I think your right about people coming back to Olympus, I've never left them since the film days and the OM1 and 2 (still have those bodies as well).

The E3 was such a workhorse.

Hopefully see some of your images soon - I always enjoyed them.

Good luck with the new camera.
The Following User Says Thank You to WPJ For This Useful Post:
Garrie (4th March 2015)