Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 4th June 2018

Liked 447 Times in 293 Posts
Re: Win 10 update problem - Help please

You can only use the restore feature if you can successfully boot the machine! It seems that most of the major problems with this update are down to anti-virus software, Avast in particular.

The update installed itself on this ancient Dell without difficulty, but having used it a couple of days I have found that ..
"Fast Start" has been re-enabled whereas I specifically disabled it to solve an unreliable boot issue. I discovered that when it failed to boot.

My file associations have been reset so that double-clicking on a .jpg file now launches the horrid Photos app instead of my preferred image viewer.

My Epson Scan software has been uninstalled and deleted. Again. This happened with the previous "feature update" as well.

My Nikon Scan driver has also been uninstalled and because it is "unsigned" I cannot re-install it without a lot of messing about.

Using click and drag to select text no longer limits itself to the active window so has become difficult to use without errors.
No doubt there will be other issues that come to light as I use the machine. There is no way on earth that Microsoft should be changing a user's settings without asking. I notice also while typing this that "return" now inserts two new lines instead of one.
Old 4th June 2018

Liked 907 Times in 574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
You can only use the restore feature if you can successfully boot the machine!
Exactly, but as nobody so far has stated they can't re-boot the machine, restoring to a date prior to the update problem still remains a viable option.

John
Old 4th June 2018
Stock Shooter

Liked 52 Times in 29 Posts

I remember in earlier versions of Windows I could call up a calendar, select an earlier date, and get the system to (try to) revert to it.

I have not been able to find how to do this in Win10, which is why I went for the installation of the new version. If anyone can tell me how to do it with the calendar, it might be helpful in future.

Once upon a time updating a Windows OS was just to do with that, no more, no less. Now that Microsoft to have adopted the, not entirely original, idea that they can earn from advertising, all sorts of new applications are added to the upgrade to facilitate this. Microsoft Edge has appeared but I have no plans to use it.

When I click on a *.jpg file, as I often do, I want it to open in Photoshop. Immediately after the upgrade PS did not show in the list of programs. I reverted to going to PS and using File/open and finding the required file. After a couple of times, clicking on a *.jpg file, the list opened with PS at the top. Well done Microsoft, it learnt what I wanted.

My Epson scan function is still there and operational.

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
Old 4th June 2018

Liked 907 Times in 574 Posts

Peter, this may be useful: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...covery-options

Select: "Restore from a system restore point."

John
Old 5th June 2018
Stock Shooter

Liked 52 Times in 29 Posts

With the aid of this You Tube Video, running on a tablet, beside my PC, I have managed to set a restore point for Windows 10:

At the start he goes through a convoluted search rigmarole to find the Control Panel. I just opened the Control panel and went from there.

I found that new the installation that I had done had actually set its own Restore Point, well done Microsoft again.

I made a new restore point, as it is now. I did a restore, which took about 45 minutes.

Thanks for all the help, I have this sorted now.

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
The Following User Says Thank You to Pjphoto59 For This Useful Post:
Johnheatingman (5th June 2018)