Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Site news

Site news Updates concerning the operation of this site.

Old 3rd May 2016
Administrator

Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,178 Posts
Liked 1,448 Times in 668 Posts
Exclamation Uploading images directly to posts using attachments

There has been ongoing discussion regarding our policy of disabling the direct uploading of images to posts using the attachments option in the Advanced forum post mode. This was a deliberate policy to promote the use of the photo gallery for users.

However, it is clear that the direct uploading of images to posts is something many of you would like reinstated and so it has been done. You can upload JPG images up to 300K in file size and of dimensions no wider than 1000 pixels and no higher than 640 pixels. The system will attempt to resize images outside of these limits and the result could mean a reduction in image quality so it's best to resize in advance where possible.

The policy change does not affect the photo challenge rules where you are obliged to display photos previously uploaded to the gallery.

I still encourage you to use the gallery because it's much easier to keep track of images in your gallery space and easier for others to find your images in one convenient place in the gallery. Images uploaded to forum posts quickly go out of view once the thread runs its course.

I am open to tweaking the setup and welcome feedback.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (3rd May 2016), Hermboy (3rd May 2016), Melaka (5th May 2016), pault (4th May 2016), PeterBirder (4th May 2016), Wee man (5th May 2016), Zuiko (3rd May 2016)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (3rd May 2016), Hermboy (3rd May 2016), PeterBirder (4th May 2016), The Technician (4th May 2016), Zuiko (3rd May 2016)
Old 3rd May 2016

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Uploading images directly to posts using attachments

Thanks Ian. I for one will be posting more images !
Ian (4th May 2016), Zuiko (4th May 2016)
Old 3rd May 2016

Thanked 1,226 Times in 1,143 Posts
Liked 1,686 Times in 845 Posts

Thanks Ian but I'll be sticking with the gallery route myself. I find it easier to have a separate resource that I can go to easily to see what I've posted in the past.
Old 3rd May 2016

Thanked 1,200 Times in 950 Posts
Liked 1,631 Times in 949 Posts

Thanks Ian. I for one do like the Gallery for My Photos & will continue to use it for my photos (& useful screenshots) but I can also see direct loading being desirable for when showing an edited version of someone else's photo or some other reason to present a photo that can only be relevant to the thread it is posted to. Anyhow, thanks for your continual efforts to making & keeping this a great forum, originally intended for those in the UK but gratefully appreciated by others of us too, downunder.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 4th May 2016

Thanked 1,340 Times in 1,278 Posts
Liked 1,119 Times in 765 Posts

I can see that sometimes there is a case for uploading an image directly into a thread, obviously where that image is specific to that thread and of no use outside that context. I find the gallery submission easy to use (and will continue to use it) however I would like to ask if there is anyway to get the upload link under the "quick links" drop down (or somewhere else on that menu bar) rather than having to go into the gallery to do it.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 5th May 2016

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts

Ross just pointed me to this thread. Good stuff and thanks Ian; I will certainly be adding more photos now [and sticking round] which will be great as for some real dumb reason I have just bought a 60mm macro lens

1st of the arty ones

Cheers
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (5th May 2016)
Old 5th May 2016

Thanked 1,073 Times in 813 Posts
Liked 4,915 Times in 1,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The policy change does not affect the photo challenge rules where you are obliged to display photos previously uploaded to the gallery.
I hadn't realised this was a requirement. Maybe I'm missing the point, but I'm not seeing great value in the gallery feature. Like many I suspect, I use Flickr as a public space to upload my better images (no sniggering at the back!) and it's far more convenient to just link to them for sharing here - even for photo challenges. What's the problem with doing it this way?
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 5th May 2016

Thanked 1,200 Times in 950 Posts
Liked 1,631 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I hadn't realised this was a requirement. Maybe I'm missing the point, but I'm not seeing great value in the gallery feature. Like many I suspect, I use Flickr as a public space to upload my better images (no sniggering at the back!) and it's far more convenient to just link to them for sharing here - even for photo challenges. What's the problem with doing it this way?
I don't use Flickr but on viewing various older threads in forums there pops up a blank when there should be a photo from Flickr. If you use the gallery here the images stay here for future reference (& don't disappear from forum threads). I like it & I also like to use Four Thirds User gallery where I can display images there (in their forum) as well as here. If you enter any other competitions you often need to upload to that site rather than some other hosting site so I don't see why that proviso should be an issue for Flickr users. Anyhow, that's just how I see it.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
PeterBirder (5th May 2016)
Old 5th May 2016

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Like Ross (and I believe many others) I do not use Flickr or any other "public space". Maybe I'm selfish but I don't feel the need to share with "the World at large" the results of my hobby which I pursue for my own pleasure and relaxation.

Uploading to this group's gallery is a different matter as it is, to me part of one's involvement in the group for the purpose of sharing information and experience for everyone's mutual benefit. Again, like Ross I find it frustrating that when searching for something in old threads you find an image is no longer available because its owner has deleted it from Flickr.
On this point I have been interested to see the number of people who do look up old threads. If you look at "Who's Online" (in the drop down Quick Links menu) you will often find people many of whom are shown as "guests", ie. not logged in who are looking at quite old threads. I believe this is part of the " e-system resource" that the group is intended to be.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (6th May 2016)
Ross the fiddler (5th May 2016), Zuiko (6th May 2016)
Old 5th May 2016

Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,004 Posts
Liked 1,156 Times in 760 Posts

Another Gallery user, I do not use any other flicker type areas. I do keep a file for this site only into which I save sized shots this means I have a back up of all pictures used on the site and they are also in the gallery so when I use pics to upload there are no problems. It also as has been said means the pictures do not disappear from older threads.
I do find some shots from others just do not open, and I normally do not click on links to outside images.
Just me an old stuck in the mud.

But I do admit to on occasion go through the gallery looking at others pictures and did for a while pick some out for picture of the day but not many others joined in and I stopped posting POTD shots, might start again if I get time at the desktop rather than the tablet as gallery work is more difficult with the small screen.

But thanks to Ian for giving this ability to others who want to attach rather than add to the gallery.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
PeterBirder (5th May 2016)
Old 5th May 2016

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
Like Ross (and I believe many others) I do not use Flickr or any other "public space".

On this point I have been interested to see the number of people who do look up old threads. If you look at "Who's Online" (in the drop down Quick Links menu) you will often find people many of whom are shown as "guests", ie. not logged in who are looking at quite old threads. I believe this is part of the " e-system resource" that the group is intended to be.

Regards.
When I first joined this group, I went right back to the beginning to get a feel for the group etiquette. I found all the missing images intensely frustrating - really interesting sounding descriptions and no pic. Grrrr1
PeterBirder (5th May 2016), Zuiko (6th May 2016)
Old 5th May 2016

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts

couple points from above: blank photos is a real problem with photos via sites like flickr, however it would be a lot of work using a forum's gallery for those who post on several forums. For myself, I try not to move or remove photos on flickr so I don't have holes in threads.
Most of my photos on flickr are in forums somewhere around the world however not all photos posted on forums are in flickr
>when this and many other forums started there were not the options of using other site so galleries were needed. Forums need to move with the times. To be honest; I have never looked at this forum's gallery. Sorry.
Posting from flickr will still be my preferred way however I will also be able to post photos that for some reason don't need to be on flickr

I appreciate the changes
Zuiko (6th May 2016)