Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 1 Week Ago
chorleyjeff chorleyjeff is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chorley
Posts: 53
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Forum image quality

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this.
Anyhow. I have posted some images in the members forum.
i think I followed the guidlines regarding size and file size.
The posted images look very poor compared to the originals.
Is there a way to get best quality. I am embarassed that my pictures look so poor.
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 1 Week Ago
Wreckdiver's Avatar
Wreckdiver Wreckdiver is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: From Liverpool, live in Chippenham, Wiltshire.
Posts: 1,513
Thanks: 66
Thanked 56 Times in 52 Posts
Likes: 52
Liked 33 Times in 17 Posts
Re: Forum image quality

Can you post the link to them Jeff?

Cheers,

Steve
__________________
Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
My website
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 1 Week Ago
chorleyjeff chorleyjeff is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chorley
Posts: 53
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Forum image quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
Can you post the link to them Jeff?

Cheers,

Steve
Don't know how to post a link.
The photos are in the members gallery section under my forum name " chorleyjeff".
Hope that info. enables you to find them.
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 1 Week Ago
Graham_of_Rainham's Avatar
Graham_of_Rainham Graham_of_Rainham is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rainham
Posts: 6,406
Thanks: 501
Thanked 773 Times in 580 Posts
Likes: 1,616
Liked 936 Times in 573 Posts
Re: Forum image quality

Given that most people will be viewing on a screen with 1920x1080 resolution and there will be the usual forum window in which the image appears, so you end up seeing the image in a reduced area.

Having looked at your images in your gallery, they look as good as I'd expect for an image compressed down to 1000 x 1000 pixels. The algorithm that you use to re-size your images and the quality that you save the jpg at will all have an impact on the end result.

This for example is 627x600 from the old days when most screens were 1024 x 768.

__________________
Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 1 Week Ago
Bengeo Bengeo is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Herts
Posts: 352
Thanks: 63
Thanked 117 Times in 60 Posts
Likes: 129
Liked 200 Times in 70 Posts
Re: Forum image quality

An alternative is to use Flickr and copy and paste the BBCode for your selected image size.

An example:


Gannet by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

The original is 2048 pixels wide and can be viewed via the link. This is displayed at 1024 wide.
__________________
Andy
My Photos
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 1 Week Ago
chorleyjeff chorleyjeff is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chorley
Posts: 53
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Forum image quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Given that most people will be viewing on a screen with 1920x1080 resolution and there will be the usual forum window in which the image appears, so you end up seeing the image in a reduced area.

Having looked at your images in your gallery, they look as good as I'd expect for an image compressed down to 1000 x 1000 pixels. The algorithm that you use to re-size your images and the quality that you save the jpg at will all have an impact on the end result.

This for example is 627x600 from the old days when most screens were 1024 x 768.

I resized and "saved for web" and adjusted down to nearly the max. permitted of 512mb.
I am disappointed I can't do better.
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 1 Week Ago
chorleyjeff chorleyjeff is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chorley
Posts: 53
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Forum image quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengeo View Post
An alternative is to use Flickr and copy and paste the BBCode for your selected image size.

An example:


Gannet by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

The original is 2048 pixels wide and can be viewed via the link. This is displayed at 1024 wide.
Thanks.
That would be ideal. But on my IPad I can't see where I get the BBCode.
Can you tell me how I get that info. please ?
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 1 Week Ago
chorleyjeff chorleyjeff is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chorley
Posts: 53
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Forum image quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengeo View Post
An alternative is to use Flickr and copy and paste the BBCode for your selected image size.

An example:


Gannet by Andy Johnson, on Flickr

The original is 2048 pixels wide and can be viewed via the link. This is displayed at 1024 wide.
Further to earlier reply I think I have found the BBCode and with great difficulty how to copy it. I'll give it a go and see how it goes.
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 6 Days Ago
PeterBirder's Avatar
PeterBirder PeterBirder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BRAINTREE ESSEX
Posts: 5,396
Thanks: 1,690
Thanked 960 Times in 803 Posts
Likes: 1,639
Liked 667 Times in 394 Posts
Re: Forum image quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
I resized and "saved for web" and adjusted down to nearly the max. permitted of 512mb.
I am disappointed I can't do better.
Jeff
Not sure what software you are using but the "Save for Web" option on many programmes is usually best avoided as it may be making some other changes to "quality". Better to re-size to the pixel dimensions you want and then do a "normal" Save As and adjust the compression to get the required file size. It has been observed in the past (first noted I think by member "snaarman" ) that this forum's software appears to introduce some softening to images when it processes them. Also if you upload an image of more than 800 pixels high it will will resize it and introduce artefacts. It is therefore adviseable to do a small amount of Unsharp Mask sharpening before making the final Save to allow/compensate for this. I use Radius 3 pixels and amount 5 (in FastStone ) on all my uploaded images.

Most "Photo Sharing" sites (including Flickr etc. ) do some sort of resizeing/resampling to uploaded images and this site is no different although exactly what each site does is unknown. Displaying images on any device normally involves the device rescaling/resizeing the image to match the display's characteristics. Think about it this way, my PC has a 1920 X 1080 pixel display but when I present it with a 4608 X3456 pixel JPEG from my E-M 10 MK II it displays it within the window of whatever programme I am using.

Hope this helps.
__________________
Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 6 Days Ago
chorleyjeff chorleyjeff is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Chorley
Posts: 53
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Forum image quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
Not sure what software you are using but the "Save for Web" option on many programmes is usually best avoided as it may be making some other changes to "quality". Better to re-size to the pixel dimensions you want and then do a "normal" Save As and adjust the compression to get the required file size. It has been observed in the past (first noted I think by member "snaarman" ) that this forum's software appears to introduce some softening to images when it processes them. Also if you upload an image of more than 800 pixels high it will will resize it and introduce artefacts. It is therefore adviseable to do a small amount of Unsharp Mask sharpening before making the final Save to allow/compensate for this. I use Radius 3 pixels and amount 5 (in FastStone ) on all my uploaded images.

Most "Photo Sharing" sites (including Flickr etc. ) do some sort of resizeing/resampling to uploaded images and this site is no different although exactly what each site does is unknown. Displaying images on any device normally involves the device rescaling/resizeing the image to match the display's characteristics. Think about it this way, my PC has a 1920 X 1080 pixel display but when I present it with a 4608 X3456 pixel JPEG from my E-M 10 MK II it displays it within the window of whatever programme I am using.

Hope this helps.
Many thanks for the practical advice.
Plenty of info. to work with.
All my images are RAW files which I will convert to jogs in sRGB colour space.
I'll work on a couple tomorrow evening and post the results.

Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 6 Days Ago
bredman bredman is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sherwood Forest
Posts: 1,070
Thanks: 190
Thanked 139 Times in 116 Posts
Likes: 392
Liked 279 Times in 138 Posts
Re: Forum image quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
Further to earlier reply I think I have found the BBCode and with great difficulty how to copy it. I'll give it a go and see how it goes.
Jeff
Jeff, if you already have a flickr account it is quick and simple. Just click the share icon (arrow pointing right) located on the image page -- select BBCode and Large 1024 x 768 in the pop up. Copy the code and paste into the editor here. There may be an observable loss in IQ due to Flickrs own compression but it's not bad at all. Takes moments

Male Nymph L-W Conehead Antennae by Pete O'Sullivan, on Flickr
__________________
__________________
Pete

OM-D E-M1. Still have an E-M5 too. Oly 45, 60, 75, 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8, 300/4. Plus some old glass.


https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 6 Days Ago
pdk42's Avatar
pdk42 pdk42 is online now
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leamington Spa
Posts: 3,049
Thanks: 320
Thanked 637 Times in 499 Posts
Likes: 38
Liked 2,403 Times in 863 Posts
Re: Forum image quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
Thanks.
That would be ideal. But on my IPad I can't see where I get the BBCode.
Can you tell me how I get that info. please ?
Jeff
Flickr is infuriating where it comes to getting the BBCode. AFAIK, there are three (official) ways to get to Flickr:

- Flickr App (on iOS and Android)
- Flickr web page viewed on a mobile device (m.flickr.com/...)
- Flickr web page viewed on a desktop device

AFAIK, only the last gives you the BBCode link. The others (at best) give you other "sharing" links, but not the BBCode. Very annoying!
__________________
Paul
E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
flickr
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
alfbranch (5 Days Ago)
  #13  
Old 6 Days Ago
Adagio's Avatar
Adagio Adagio is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Marchwood, Hampshire
Posts: 787
Thanks: 48
Thanked 37 Times in 34 Posts
Likes: 65
Liked 57 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Forum image quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
- Flickr web page viewed on a desktop device
Is Ipad desktop or mobile? - Flickr behaves in browser in the same way as on my PC
__________________
David


Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 5 Days Ago
alfbranch's Avatar
alfbranch alfbranch is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitehaven Cumbria
Posts: 5,119
Thanks: 1,173
Thanked 641 Times in 603 Posts
Likes: 674
Liked 1,424 Times in 554 Posts
Re: Forum image quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
Is Ipad desktop or mobile? - Flickr behaves in browser in the same way as on my PC
But not if you use the Flickr app
__________________
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 5 Days Ago
alfbranch's Avatar
alfbranch alfbranch is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitehaven Cumbria
Posts: 5,119
Thanks: 1,173
Thanked 641 Times in 603 Posts
Likes: 674
Liked 1,424 Times in 554 Posts
Re: Forum image quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Flickr is infuriating where it comes to getting the BBCode. AFAIK, there are three (official) ways to get to Flickr:

- Flickr App (on iOS and Android)
- Flickr web page viewed on a mobile device (m.flickr.com/...)
- Flickr web page viewed on a desktop device

AFAIK, only the last gives you the BBCode link. The others (at best) give you other "sharing" links, but not the BBCode. Very annoying!
I do not attempt to post images from the app
__________________
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Image quality ronyzmbow Olympus E-400 1 12th April 2015 10:11 AM
Image Quality crimbo The lounge 6 25th January 2014 12:37 PM
HELP! Image quality ronyzmbow Olympus E-500 2 9th December 2011 07:49 AM
E-3 Image Quality Settings? pandora Olympus E-3 17 3rd March 2011 05:16 PM
JPEG/File Size/Image Size/Image Quality jdal Software 7 23rd August 2009 01:51 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:54 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2015, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger