Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 22nd March 2017

Liked 499 Times in 262 Posts
Re: New Monthly Photo Challenge & E-System User Photographer of the Year

Re using the gallery to upload from, maybe I should eat humble pie......

Its straightforward enough to copy one image from there, but a PITA to copy several.........

Flickr is the same as you have to keep swapping one page to another
Old 22nd March 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,178 Posts
Liked 3,409 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
QUOTE ::1st, 2nd and 3rd places will be awarded 3, 2 and 1 points respectively to carry forward to the year end and the member with the most points will be crowned E-System User Photographer of the Year.

Another great dis-incentive for people who want to participate, but maybe would like to dip in and out depending on the subject matter, or their access to the particular topic.

Surely allowing shots of over say 2 months age, will encourage people, (quite naturally), to submit their best work in order to achieve '''E user of the Year'''.

BUT you have to sort out the bit about making it simple to submit pics. THE Button.....
I'm afraid I don't have the ability to change how pictures are uploaded, I'm just doing what I can to hopefully make the competition better.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
AMc (23rd March 2017)
Old 23rd March 2017

Liked 1,630 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Would film have exif data???

Of course it does

Well it does when its scanned.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 23rd March 2017

Liked 1,630 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
the member with the most points will be crowned E-System User Photographer of the Year.
That seems like a good idea.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 23rd March 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
Of course it does

Well it does when its scanned.
Some scanner...

Old 23rd March 2017

Liked 87 Times in 53 Posts

You can edit and add EXIF data for any old JPG if you're a cheat. But then you could enter someone else's image too for that matter. As the prize is just kudos I don't think there's any point worrying about it.

As a side I tried to enter a picture in the MyOlympus competition running at the moment. I'd straightened the image in GIMP and it was automagically rejected by their system as it wasn't taken on an Olympus camera - which the EXIF clearly shows it was. So I reprocessed it in Lightroom and got the same result.
I then discovered there is no arbitrary angle image rotate in OV3 (that I could find) so I couldn't enter it at all

FWIW I would prefer a limit of images taken within the period of the competition to discourage scouring the back catalogue which favours those with long histories and doesn't encourage anyone to go out and take more images.
I'd prefer the next theme to be chosen by the winner of the previous round to encourage us to respond to the brief rather than plan months in advance but I'm more than happy to go with the current format and see where we end up.

Quote:
I'm just doing what I can to hopefully make the competition better.
I'd like to thank you for taking the time and effort to ask for opinions and try to refresh the competition!
The Following User Says Thank You to AMc For This Useful Post:
iso (2nd April 2017)
Old 23rd March 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
You can edit and add EXIF data for any old JPG if you're a cheat. But then you could enter someone else's image too for that matter. As the prize is just kudos I don't think there's any point worrying about it.

As a side I tried to enter a picture in the MyOlympus competition running at the moment. I'd straightened the image in GIMP and it was automagically rejected by their system as it wasn't taken on an Olympus camera - which the EXIF clearly shows it was. So I reprocessed it in Lightroom and got the same result.
I then discovered there is no arbitrary angle image rotate in OV3 (that I could find) so I couldn't enter it at all

FWIW I would prefer a limit of images taken within the period of the competition to discourage scouring the back catalogue which favours those with long histories and doesn't encourage anyone to go out and take more images.
I'd prefer the next theme to be chosen by the winner of the previous round to encourage us to respond to the brief rather than plan months in advance but I'm more than happy to go with the current format and see where we end up.

I'd like to thank you for taking the time and effort to ask for opinions and try to refresh the competition!
I certainly appreciate the value of encouraging members to shoot fresh images for the competition but at this stage it is likely to limit the number of entries so I'm inclined to delay its introduction until the new format has had a chance to bed in.

I was personally very happy with the system of the winner of the round setting the theme for the next, but it has been pointed out that this responsibility may put people off entering the competition. Inviting suggestion for future themes is a compromise that I am willing to try.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 23rd March 2017

Liked 993 Times in 603 Posts

Is this the thread to post this month's images 'on the busses etc' ? Not seeing many images yet. However, I actually have a shot that fits the challenge, and by some strange quirk it was taken with Olympus stuff. But it's an old shot, maybe 3 years ago when I froze time. Thinking about it, I'm not sure if time from capture to display is important, surely it's the image that counts. In fact if you read about editing, photographers are encouraged to allow their images to marinate for some time to ensure the emotion of the event has long dissipated. Editing and posting too soon can lead to a photographer making a bad choice by thinking the image is worthy of public display, when in fact it is a poor or mediocre capture better suited to the waste basket, never to be shown the light of day. It's probably best to leave one's snaps for a year at least, and with the passage of time make a cold detached judgement whether the snap is worthy of public display.

on flickr
Old 23rd March 2017

Liked 87 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
I was personally very happy with the system of the winner of the round setting the theme for the next, but it has been pointed out that this responsibility may put people off entering the competition. Inviting suggestion for future themes is a compromise that I am willing to try.
I mentioned I didn't want to judge the following round. I wouldn't mind picking the subject if I won (as that's not very likely ) perhaps I missed other posts.
All good nonetheless!
Old 23rd March 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Is this the thread to post this month's images 'on the busses etc' ? Not seeing many images yet. However, I actually have a shot that fits the challenge, and by some strange quirk it was taken with Olympus stuff. But it's an old shot, maybe 3 years ago when I froze time. Thinking about it, I'm not sure if time from capture to display is important, surely it's the image that counts. In fact if you read about editing, photographers are encouraged to allow their images to marinate for some time to ensure the emotion of the event has long dissipated. Editing and posting too soon can lead to a photographer making a bad choice by thinking the image is worthy of public display, when in fact it is a poor or mediocre capture better suited to the waste basket, never to be shown the light of day. It's probably best to leave one's snaps for a year at least, and with the passage of time make a cold detached judgement whether the snap is worthy of public display.
Steve, the new competition will start in April, with the theme of Planes, Trains and Automobiles that I announced yesterday. I will start a new thread on 1st April in which entries can be posted.

Old 23rd March 2017

Liked 166 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Sorry Iso to disagree with you again.......

I think the "Monthly" challenge needs to be just that, or punters will/might just loose interest if there is "result" within a meaningful amount of time. (Bit like the last one!)

But that's just my Humble Opinion
Mark I can't work out if you are in favour of the yearly accumulated points system, or like me, against it because it would tend to discourage the occasional newbie entrant
Old 23rd March 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Mark I can't work out if you are in favour of the yearly accumulated points system, or like me, against it because it would tend to discourage the occasional newbie entrant
I don't see why the yearly points system should deter people from entering the monthly challenge on an occasional basis; each monthly theme will be a separate competition in its own right.

Having said that, if we get a few months down the line and it clearly isn't working we can review it.

The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (23rd March 2017)
Old 23rd March 2017

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

I was one of those who helped set up the AP monthly theme which appears to be becoming ever more popular It does have a set of rules but the most important one is the first "There are no rules just suggestions" which among other things means there is no nit-picking about legibility.
Old 24th March 2017

Quote:
Hi Iso, I was meaning that each "monthly" challenge should start and end in a predetermined time, ie a month. If the challenge and following "judgement" drags out endlessly then loss of interest is incurred. Maybe I am an impatient sort, but would need to know when the final judgement is to me made, within a couple of days. And not dragging on endlessly.

I have no objection to the result being accumulated over the year for a yearly long distance winner/nerd to be appointed

I don't think it will put of newcomers, they will see a vibrant completion ongoing. We could have a rolling top dog, added up over the last several months..............

This discussion and ideas is going the right way, and if anyone cares has my full approval.
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
iso (1st April 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ianf (27th March 2017)
Old 1st April 2017
Administrator

The new Monthly Challenge is up and running, see http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44681

I will soon need to publish the monthly themes for the remainder of the year. A few members have already made suggestions but more will be welcome!