Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 14th April 2017

Thanked 1,018 Times in 850 Posts
Liked 777 Times in 457 Posts
Re: 75 - 300 Mkll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post

My avocet shots from 20 yards where so disappointing, despite the camera being rested on a window cill.
If you use the camera with the IBIS switched on and resting on window sill you are quite likely to get problems. Olympus have always said IBIS should be switched off when the camera is supported other than by hand holding.

The IBIS is a closed loop control system which is seeking to correct for movement. It is inherent in such systems that they are operated on the verge of instability in order to provide rapid response to movement. If there is no movement or movement of a type they are not designed to counter they can sometimes introduce "shake" of their own. The IBIS system control algorithms will have been specifically "tuned" to counter the amplitude and frequency of movement caused by being held in human hands. If you rest the camera on a window sill in a hide it will either not receive any movement at all or, more likely, vibrations of the "wrong" amplitude/frequency (for example caused by people moving around in the hide) to which it will respond inappropriately causing blur. Remember this is a very sensitive/accurate system which when used to produce the Hi Res mode can move the sensor accurately and repeatably in half pixel steps.

If you are using the hide to support the camera you need to rest it on something like a bean bag and turn off the IBIS.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (4th May 2017)
Old 14th April 2017

Thanked 1,018 Times in 850 Posts
Liked 777 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
I've been using Olympus bodies with IBIS since it was introduced in the E-510. I've never had a problem leaving IS on. Remember that a long lens is being supported roughly in its centre and so there is scope for movement of the camera body even on a tripod.
I fully accept that over the years many people like you have not experienced problems with using IBIS with a tripod mounted camera but equally I have seen reports from folks who have had problems. Since Olympus recommend not using IBIS they obviously believe that there is at least a potential problem and I therefore prefer to follow their advice.

Recent posts in this thread are from people who are having difficulty with the new E-M1 MK II which has the most advanced version of IBIS and I feel it is worth exploring all possibilities to help them resolve their problems.

The thread is also specifically about the 70-300mm lens which whilst a long focal length lens is physically short and does not have a tripod collar so has to be supported by the camera.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 14th April 2017

Liked 588 Times in 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
I am getting a spread of good to bad shots too. Not sure if its my techniques rather than kit though.

My avocet shots from 20 yards where so disappointing, despite the camera being rested on a window cill.

May try not using the silent mode for a while and see if there is any improvement before jumping off a cliff (joke)

Amanda, what IBIS do you use with the Pany 100-400? I use both camera and lens, which may result in a conflict. Will try just the camera for a while, though my feeling is that the lens IBIS is better........

Thanks Peter for your input, will work thru a few combinations..

minefield.............
I use just the camera IBIS. The lens IS is off. Are all your shots the same? Last week I think most were fine but a few were smeary.
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (4th May 2017)
Old 19th April 2017

I was looking through the London photos and found a few heron shots that I took on the first day, and some were "smeary" and some were fine. All were taken consecutively and with the same settings.

Also, I did the firmware update for both the camera and lens last night. I think that it has made a big improvement in focusing speed. I tested it at lunchtime and I think I would not have got some of these shots before the upgrade.

First the heron (I think the first three were "smeary"):

And today after the update:

From about 2m away:

A bit closer (1m for this one):

About 1-2m for these:

And these were about 25m away (and I only saw the second thrush when I looked at the pictures on the computer tonight):

In my view this has been a bit improvement and the performance feels much more "Olympus like".

Amanda
Old 20th April 2017

Thanked 1,089 Times in 974 Posts
Liked 1,042 Times in 691 Posts

Nice series hope it continues non smear for you.

Wee Man

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 20th April 2017

Thank you Ed. I know it's not a very technical description but it was the best way I could describe it. Now I think of it though I think I had my lens and or camera rested on the railings and some were hand held so that might explain the difference.