Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day Your selections from the e-group gallery featured each day as the Picture of the Day! Please send nominations to forum-admin@e-group.uk.net

Old 19th April 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,806 Times in 2,161 Posts
Liked 3,365 Times in 1,582 Posts
Re: Somebody just has to do it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
I picked up on this Thread and thought A) What a good idea. B) Who are these people – not seen posts from them before: Then saw the posting dates 6 years ago…….
Raises the questions C) Why not revive the idea, but make it simpler – say Pic of the Month, or best, just a sticky that goes on and on – no different to Picture Trail? D) I do think it might encourage people to post things to the Gallery because it’s not like entering a competition E) Where are quite a few of those names that contributed to the idea, started by Shirley, now?
Alas, I never have been able to work out how to post another member's picture from the gallery into a thread, but if others want to have a go they have my full support.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (23rd April 2017)
Old 20th April 2017

Liked 585 Times in 392 Posts

I like this thread.

There have been some outstanding images posted by others in the past that I feel could do with a 're-airing'.

Unfortunately, whilst I have memory of them I can't find most of them again. I did look for some outstanding dramatic tone ones that were posted by a past member 'Garrie' some years ago, but it looks like they've been removed.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
iso (24th April 2017)
iso (24th April 2017)
Old 23rd April 2017

Liked 139 Times in 124 Posts

Err yes John, but you neglected to comment on my suggestions. On balance the idea seems a great way for many of us to get to grips with putting stuff in a Gallery and also encourage all of us to look at what others put up - not in a competitive environment.
The Following User Says Thank You to iso For This Useful Post:
Wee man (24th April 2017)
Old 23rd April 2017

Liked 439 Times in 239 Posts

"Putting stuff" into the Gallery is so simple even I manage to do it.

Quite a large number of members however seem to prefer to use other methods such as Flikr and for what ever reason, never use the Gallery. They simply insert photos into threads directly from their other photo storage applications. This has been the case for the 7 yrs. I've been a member and I doubt if the "excitement and kudos" of possibly having a photo chosen as POTD is going to change that.

The POTD Board has never had much support from the membership despite many attempts by various members over the years to revive it.

The fact is, members are of course free to discuss and suggest ideas for change as much as they want. However, as was recently pointed out, this is not a democracy, therefore whilst there is no harm in discussing changes amongst the membership, any alteration to the Forum Boards would have to be the decision of Administration.

Once again, this particular subject doesn't appear to be generating a lot of interest ( 34 posts since 2011 ). If you feel so strongly that your ideas and suggestions have merit, then I suggest you discuss them with Ian Burley or John ( Zuiko )

Best regards,

John
Old 24th April 2017

John, I guess your reference to Members putting stuff onto Flicker etc., ( in preference to also putting them onto the Galley), could be taken as a criticism – In which case I agree with you.
OK flaunt your stuff to the wider audience, but still support your local Shop.
Wee man (24th April 2017)
MJ224 (24th April 2017)
Old 24th April 2017
Administrator

Quote:
John, I guess your reference to Members putting stuff onto Flicker etc., ( in preference to also putting them onto the Galley), could be taken as a criticism – In which case I agree with you.
Obviously we would prefer members to post their pictures in the gallery but we don't want to discourage people from using the forum to display their work by the method that suits them best.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Johnheatingman (24th April 2017)
Old 24th April 2017

Quote:
It wasn't intended as a criticism merely a statement of fact.

The forum administration have provided the facility for posting photos via alternative media such as Flikr etc. It seems many members have always prefered to use these other methods rather than use the Gallery. How members choose to post photos on the forum, the methods they adopt, whether they use the Gallery or not, is simply a matter of personal preference.

Given that the alternative methods have been provided by Admin., I personally don't consider the use of them to be a lack of support for the forum.

John
Zuiko (25th April 2017)
Old 25th April 2017

John - maybe we are at cross purposes. Sure post your stuff wherever you want, but don't deny this Community to see them too.

Anyway can we come back to the original point - why not revive POTMonth????
Old 25th April 2017

Quote:
John - maybe we are at cross purposes. Sure post your stuff wherever you want, but don't deny this Community to see them too.

Anyway can we come back to the original point - why not revive POTMonth????
I think it's actually POTD under discussion in the thread. As we already have the POTD Board, all that's needed is the support and participation of the membership.

Good luck.

John
Old 25th April 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
That is a very valid question John, the image I picked was in Johnheatingman's gallery
Iain
It's only taken me 6 years to spot this post between IainMacD and John ( Zuiko ) in POTD.

Yes, I have to confess my guilt, the photo was one of my early attempts.

Regards,
John
Old 26th April 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
I think it's actually POTD under discussion in the thread. As we already have the POTD Board, all that's needed is the support and participation of the membership.

Good luck.

John
Day or Month
I thought the idea of this Thread was to revive some kind of Gallery Review.
Given some of the comments earlier, I thought a Monthly Thread would gather more momentum than a POTD.
To prevent going round in circles could I boldly suggest that the Mods look at creating a monthly thread that encompasses the OP's original ideas?
Old 26th April 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Day or Month
I thought the idea of this Thread was to revive some kind of Gallery Review.
Given some of the comments earlier, I thought a Monthly Thread would gather more momentum than a POTD.
To prevent going round in circles could I boldly suggest that the Mods look at creating a monthly thread that encompasses the OP's original ideas?
Sure, I can create a thread (as can anybody), but how do you see it working? Will it just be there for members to use to showcase pictures they have found in the Gallery that they like? Or will there be some form of public vote to decide which image is designated POTM?

Old 27th April 2017

JOHN - Got it.
The Thread is a Sticky.
It's called Pick of the Gallery POTG -
Members choose a pic from Galleries to nominate as their choice.
They must make a comment why they like the Pic, and obviously the photographer must be credited (if not obvious).
The range of Galleries allowed to be selected goes back to 1000 BC, provided it's micro four thirds stuff.
There is no Judging/winning.

IMHO - this might get more people looking at Galleries/posting stuff to Galleries, and generally participating in a non-competitive environment.

Of course I could be wrong
Zuiko (27th April 2017)
Zuiko (27th April 2017)
Old 27th April 2017

Quote:
JOHN - Got it.
The Thread is a Sticky.
They must make a comment why they like the Pic, and obviously the photographer must be credited (if not obvious).
The range of Galleries allowed to be selected goes back to 1000 BC, provided it's micro four thirds stuff.

IMHO - this might get more people looking at Galleries/posting stuff to Galleries, and generally participating in a non-competitive environment.

You state , " providing it's micro four thirds stuff " That rules me and I suspect a few other members out as I have never owned or used any micro four thirds stuff, either cameras or photos.

With the exception of the micro 4/3 proviso, what you have suggested above is exactly how the POTD Board has been operating since I joined the forum.

I wish you the best of luck with your endeavour and possibly others may be more supportive but I have to say - I'm Out

John
Old 27th April 2017
Administrator

Quote:
JOHN - Got it.
The Thread is a Sticky.

Okay, let's give it a try - but we cannot exclude pictures taken on Olympus Four Thirds DSLRs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
iso (28th April 2017)