Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day Your selections from the e-group gallery featured each day as the Picture of the Day! Please send nominations to forum-admin@e-group.uk.net

Old 1st April 2011

Liked 41 Times in 21 Posts
Re: Somebody just has to do it!!

On the "Photo of the Day" thread on the photography section of one of my fishing forums, it currently stands at 65 pages, started in December 2005 and it's still running...

Janet

Old 1st April 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlc View Post
As a further suggestion, could we have new images in a new thread please - this will get v.long...
I'd rather have all images in this thread. Much easier to follow.
Old 2nd April 2011

Liked 41 Times in 21 Posts

I agree - keep all the images in one thread. Yes, it will get very long, but it's worked for six years on my other forum, and it's still going.

It's slightly different on there, as members post their own photos - sometimes it's a photo that they consider is good, sometimes it's just to share something interesting, sometimes it's just for a bit of advice. You never quite know what's going to pop up, but it's never boring. It's much easier to just add a photo to the thread than it is to start a whole new one.

It has worked very well with some members who weren't quite confident enough at the start to begin a new topic, but felt happy just adding their photo to the thread. I well remember that it took me a long time to feel confident enough to start a topic of my own!

This is slightly different, as we are choosing other people's photos, but I see no reason why it can't stay as just one thread.

Still, it's early days yet so we have plenty of time to tinker with it!

I do have to say though that it's really opened my eyes to the quality of some of the images on this forum, many of which have gone overlooked as they have simply been uploaded to the gallery and not featured on the forum. I am making it my mission to check the gallery every day, and also to try and add comments.

Janet

Old 2nd April 2011

Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts

I have followed recent discussion and it seems to me that we need the space to continue to discuss refinements and a space to post pics and enjoy them, so my proposal is that we continue the discussion here and I have started another thread simply for uploading pics we want to highlight from the gallery.

The posting thread should get large as loads of people join in but it will be nice to see all of the pics in one place.

Are people happy with that?
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (16th April 2017)
Old 16th April 2017

Liked 387 Times in 202 Posts

Tenby Fishing Boats by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Gone a bit quiet here, so taking the chance to show my first Hi Res result from the Mk2. Very high in pixels................

As I understand it the camera takes three shots, moving the sensor slightly in order to triple the amount of pixels. Moving people show the time lag...
Old 16th April 2017

Thanked 1,007 Times in 841 Posts
Liked 766 Times in 449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post

Gone a bit quiet here, so taking the chance to show my first Hi Res result from the Mk2. Very high in pixels................

As I understand it the camera takes three shots, moving the sensor slightly in order to triple the amount of pixels. Moving people show the time lag...
I think you have misunderstood the point of POTD. The idea is to nominate someone elses posted picture that you think is particularly good, not post your own shots.

Since this was first started in 2008 there have been numerous attempts to resurect it without success. Seems it is just something that doesn't appeal to people.

Hi Res mode takes 8 shots with the sensor shifted in 1/2 pixel steps to generate a composite.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 16th April 2017

Liked 387 Times in 202 Posts

The Title "Somebody just had to do it" sums it for me..........

I could not work it out alas but it seemed a good opportunity.

Thanks for the info re the Hi Res modus operandi..

Mj
Old 16th April 2017

Liked 567 Times in 385 Posts

This one, from 'ianc' stuck in my memory from a few years ago:

Jim
The Following Users Liked This Post:
George Dorn (17th April 2017), MJ224 (16th April 2017), Naughty Nigel (21st April 2017), OM USer (17th April 2017), wornish (16th April 2017)
Old 17th April 2017

Liked 133 Times in 118 Posts

I picked up on this Thread and thought A) What a good idea. B) Who are these people – not seen posts from them before: Then saw the posting dates 6 years ago…….
Raises the questions C) Why not revive the idea, but make it simpler – say Pic of the Month, or best, just a sticky that goes on and on – no different to Picture Trail? D) I do think it might encourage people to post things to the Gallery because it’s not like entering a competition E) Where are quite a few of those names that contributed to the idea, started by Shirley, now?
MJ224 (17th April 2017)
Old 18th April 2017

BUMP - Viewers go back to page 1
Old 18th April 2017

Thanked 1,087 Times in 972 Posts
Liked 1,038 Times in 688 Posts

Just my thoughts, I tried for quite a while to keep the original POTD thread going but interest seemed to die.
I do feel one thread is best and I also feel comments relating to any photos should be in the same thread
I would like to see comments close to the photo being mentioned rather than having to open a different thread and then try to find the linking comments.
As for the time scale I feel it should be from anywhere in the site galleries. All we are doing is suggesting a photo which you feel is worthy of the title of POTD .
How many people have really actively looked through galleries and albums ? There are some amazing photos on this site which may never again see the light of day or be seen by newer membership.
This gives the possibility that people will search out shots and even comment on them.
I know my work is of a poor standard but I know the feeling when a fellow member takes the time not only to look at some of my work but goes that bit further and leaves a comment in my album below a photograph which they have found when browsing through large numbers of people's work. I think it can spur people to lift their camera and take shots and post them again which can lead to further involvement in our friendly forum?

It also is a great source for ideas for shots.

Just some thoughts of chairperson Ed.

Wee Man

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
OM USer (19th April 2017)
Old 19th April 2017

Liked 379 Times in 203 Posts

Much as I applaud Ed's valliant attempts to revive the POTD Board it has been on " Life Support " since it was first introduced approx. 9 years ago with very little interest shown by the membership.

Little used boards such as POTD and indeed the item on the home page " Latest E-Group challenge - INDUSTRIAL HERITAGE Are you going to enter the latest challenge?. " which refers to a competition that expired 4 yrs ago, surely don't do the Forum or Olympus any favours where prospective new members or visitors are concerned.

I have no idea who is responsible for updating items on the Home Page or closing redundant Boards. In the case of POTD there is an argument that says it's high time "Life Support" was withdrawn and it was allowed a dignified death. As for the 4 yrs. out of date Industrial Heritage Competition advertisement on the Home Page ..... I couldn't possibly comment

John
Wee man (19th April 2017)
Old 19th April 2017

I can't agree with you John. Times change in 6 years. There are a lot of newcomers to OLY Mf3, including myself. Check out my comments, particularly the idea of encouraging gallery start ups.
Old 19th April 2017

Thanked 1,059 Times in 1,017 Posts
Liked 645 Times in 478 Posts

I do like it when someone finds the time and intoduces me to an older picture from the gallery that I might not otherwise have seen.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
Wee man (19th April 2017)
iso (27th April 2017)
Old 19th April 2017

Liked 379 Times in 203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
I can't agree with you John. Times change in 6 years. There are a lot of newcomers to OLY Mf3, including myself. Check out my comments, particularly the idea of encouraging gallery start ups.
Just for the record, I have checked out your comments on several occasions.

If we all agreed with each other, there would be little or no need for the lively enjoyable debates that take place on a regular basis in this forum.

Providing opinions are expressed in a polite respectful manner, they all add to the excellent friendly atmosphere experienced by being a member of this unique forum.

Regards,

John