Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 29th September 2015

Liked 1,325 Times in 625 Posts
Re: Is C-AF actually improved with v3.0?

Quote:
Sometimes I feel it follows a subject but is always the same amount out. For example, you might be tracking a bird coming towards you but the focus point is always a couple of feet behind the bird. So tracking but not sharp
I must say I have not found that (assuming we are talking about CAF and not CAF + Tracking) In my limited experience once it has acquired focus it hangs on to it (but it does take significantly longer to acquire focus that SAF + MF )
I have never got any focus system to "track" the BIF / sports shots I shoot and that includes using my canon 7D with fast L lenses up to 400mm f5.6
so don't even try to get CAF+TR to work for me these days

Quote:
Never been a fan of sequential shooting
it depends on what I am shooting, for fast moving sport such as motorcycle racing or fast water sports I will use it to follow specific actions, such as the crash sequence in the Thruxton album or the jetski loop sequences, such as here https://www.flickr.com/photos/754450...57658561044242

As always, I try to use the right tool for the job in hand
Old 29th September 2015

Liked 1,325 Times in 625 Posts

Just for interest, I was shooting a few gulls on our local quayside this morning, using SAF + MF and tracked this gull at 9fps across a roof as it came to land. No CAF, no refocusing, just horizontal tracking.

Yes, its not coming toward me but it is passing over quite a strong background, using central 9 box focus yet there was no attempt to refocus on the background, seems a not bad result to me

SAF tracking foucus 1 by Brian Wadie Photographer, on Flickr

SAF tracking foucus 2 by Brian Wadie Photographer, on Flickr

SAF tracking foucus 3 by Brian Wadie Photographer, on Flickr
Old 29th September 2015

Liked 1,274 Times in 339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
Most of the birds I take in flight are in view for only a couple of seconds so tracking is not the main issue but acquisition is. On the E-M1 I struggled to acquire with CAF on which is why I only ever used SAF and 10fps. I'm on holiday in Bulgaria at the moment and yesterday a Sparrowhawk flew past my hotel balcony and although I had my camera with me I didn't see it coming. In the 2 or 3 seconds it was visible I managed 7 out of 9 frames in focus on AF Servo, and that's with an inexpensive zoom at 300mm - that's perhaps the advantage of an all cross points sensor. By the way I never use IS with wildlife as I always use at least 1/640 and it can cause some minor blur if used.

David

David
David I fully agree that focus acquisition when photographing BIF is the main issue. Tracking increases the chance of getting at least one frame with focus and pleasant posture/angle. I spotted these 4 Sparrowhawks some 5 seconds ahead of shooting and even though preparations from my side the most I got was 3 frames in focus. To be precise - 1, 2, 2 and 3 in the order the subjects are presented. I cannot remember getting as many as 3 frames in focus at any time before I turned the camera in portrait mode and disengaged the IS. Even on relatively easy and predictable subjects such as gulls.

What camera are you using that delivers 7 out of 9?

My Gallery on 500px
Old 29th September 2015

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
David I fully agree that focus acquisition when photographing BIF is the main issue. Tracking increases the chance of getting at least one frame with focus and pleasant posture/angle. I spotted these 4 Sparrowhawks some 5 seconds ahead of shooting and even though preparations from my side the most I got was 3 frames in focus. To be precise - 1, 2, 2 and 3 in the order the subjects are presented. I cannot remember getting as many as 3 frames in focus at any time before I turned the camera in portrait mode and disengaged the IS. Even on relatively easy and predictable subjects such as gulls.

What camera are you using that delivers 7 out of 9?
7D Mk2 plus Sigma 18-300mm