Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 22nd August 2015

Liked 1,324 Times in 625 Posts
Re: Is C-AF actually improved with v3.0?

a few cross format sensors would be nice in the next iteration Chris but I'm happy to have picked up the present way of working (from somewhere or other on the web, or maybe even from here? )
Old 22nd August 2015

Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts

I noticed something today. I had on the 75-300mm, all focus points active, C-AF. Took a shot, and as I let up on the shutter the PDAF area of focus points showed up for an instant before going back to the 81, (clear screen). I was aware that the camera uses both CDAF and PDAF to focus in C-AF...but is the PDAF given priority? Because from what I'm seeing it is, or leads me to believe it is.
Old 10th September 2015

Liked 1,155 Times in 312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
Well, I am totally convinced that CAF works beautifully at 9fps, so long as the camera body is in portrait mode.
Brian,
I have been trying this the past days pictures of BIF using 9 or 27 AF points, 9 fps. Photos were taken at various angles/distances and, yes, there is a slight improvement, however not enough to convince me it's the best mode of operations since the issue caused by EVF lag is amplified in portrait mode with quite many subjects badly framed. The ergonomy, provided you use the extra grip is acceptable once you get used to the placement of the viewfinder).

My Gallery on 500px
Old 10th September 2015

Interesting to hear of your experiences Tord.

I must say I have yet to notice any EVF lag although I do keep reading that others have problems in this area

Yes, with the grip on handling does become easier in portrait mode
Old 11th September 2015

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi, I watch a video, with Jay Dickman, useing the em1 and various lenses some 4\3rds lenses, he recommends the back button method caf continuos on high, image stablization set to off, leave enough space around the subject, he recons the biggest mistake most make is croping in to tight, follow through keep tapping the back button until you have the subject in the best position and fire away.

Dave
Old 28th September 2015

Liked 1,155 Times in 312 Posts

Here is an update on this subject. I have given the portrait mode one more chance to deliver, trying with IS disengaged which helped a bit.

Looking at the results I quite often manage to get one, sometimes up to three pictures in a sequence with correct focus provided pre-focusing. Otherwise the AF would fail before the opportunity is gone. I never managed to get any sequences in which the AF managed to track the subject.

I read some users write about focusing with "back button" - what is it more precisely? Can't you achieve the same effect with half-pressing shutter button?

These Sparrowhawks are from last weekend, taken with the 300/2.8 + EC14. Not too bad but a tad small for my liking, cropped to ~2300 pixels on the long side.

Portrait orientation
ISO 200
ME (F/4.5, 1/2000s)
27 AF points
CAF, release priority on
IS off

#3 (EVF lag!)

My Gallery on 500px
Old 28th September 2015

Day out at Donnington yesterday. Many, many bad pictures, but it was not the camera, I just cannot pan with the subject. I was close to the track and when using the 50-200 I was at 200mm, and when using the 75-300mm I was at 300mm...till I smartened up. Hard to keep the bikes in the frame when they are filling it.

But when I got it right the camera was delivering.

200mm, 1/1000 shutter, 9 focus points, C-AF, 6fps, resized for forum and unedited.

Looks like it's tracking to me. Why the so many bad ones....I was shooting at 1/250 - 1/500 to blur the back ground and wheels so the bike didn't look stopped. I'm just no good at it, I don't follow through the shot.
Old 29th September 2015

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Most of the birds I take in flight are in view for only a couple of seconds so tracking is not the main issue but acquisition is. On the E-M1 I struggled to acquire with CAF on which is why I only ever used SAF and 10fps. I'm on holiday in Bulgaria at the moment and yesterday a Sparrowhawk flew past my hotel balcony and although I had my camera with me I didn't see it coming. In the 2 or 3 seconds it was visible I managed 7 out of 9 frames in focus on AF Servo, and that's with an inexpensive zoom at 300mm - that's perhaps the advantage of an all cross points sensor. By the way I never use IS with wildlife as I always use at least 1/640 and it can cause some minor blur if used.

David

David
Old 29th September 2015

Liked 122 Times in 53 Posts

When panning, I'm not having any issues really with cars

micke by damianmkv, on Flickr

hawaiian tropic by damianmkv, on Flickr

super gas by damianmkv, on Flickr

concerntration by damianmkv, on Flickr

Obviously they're easier to "hit" than birds due to their size and that they should be going in one direction
The Following User Says Thank You to damianmkv For This Useful Post:
The Following Users Liked This Post:
brian1208 (29th September 2015), John Hardy (29th September 2015), pvasc (29th September 2015)
Old 29th September 2015

That could have been my problem too. I was at the Fogarty Esses so there was a lot of direction change and a lot of speed change. I know I got a few pictures with half a bike in them...as they could out brake and out accelerate me. Hmm maybe I should have kept a couple, would have made an interesting composite.
Old 29th September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvasc View Post
Day out at Donnington yesterday. Many, many bad pictures, but it was not the camera, I just cannot pan with the subject. I was close to the track and when using the 50-200 I was at 200mm, and when using the 75-300mm I was at 300mm...till I smartened up. Hard to keep the bikes in the frame when they are filling it.

But when I got it right the camera was delivering.

200mm, 1/1000 shutter, 9 focus points, C-AF, 6fps, resized for forum and unedited.

Looks like it's tracking to me. Why the so many bad ones....I was shooting at 1/250 - 1/500 to blur the back ground and wheels so the bike didn't look stopped. I'm just no good at it, I don't follow through the shot.
I tend to use SAF + MF for these shots as the focus acquisition is fast enough that I never have a problem tracking them to the point of action, then triggering a short sequence at high frame rate (typically 10 fps) to capture specific action

I found it to be a case of understanding and anticipating the action (and lots of practise ) and typically try to at least half fill the EVF with the subject

As an example of shooting using the 40-150 pro on the EM-5 mk2 I have an album of shots from Thruxton earlier this year (for some reason the processing routine I was using stripped out the camera and some of the exif data, but the panned shots were between 1/160th and 1/320th sec and the others were up around 1/1000th sec)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/754450...57654022488343
Old 29th September 2015

Liked 117 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post

I read some users write about focusing with "back button" - what is it more precisely? Can't you achieve the same effect with half-pressing shutter button?
Back button focus is where the camera is set up so that focus is controlled by a button other than the shutter button - usually the AEL/AFL button. The advantage is that you track your subject with the back button pressed and only shoot when you are ready to. Importantly, you can stop shooting whilst still maintaining the C-AF by keeping the back button pressed and then shoot again when you are ready.

Now, you could do all this with half-pressing the shutter but I think it is harder. I find it particularly hard to go from shooting back to a half press to maintain C-AF between bursts.

Having said all of that, there is a caveat! It appears that C-AF before shooting starts (half press or back button) uses the old C-AF method so it is not all that good at properly tracking the subject. The full PDAF C-AF only kicks in once shooting starts as indicated by the PDAF sensor array showing up in the viewfinder between shots. So, on balance, I find it best to start shooting and keep going once an initial focus is close enough because the PDAF will usually get better after 2 or 3 shots. This rather negates the benefit of back-button focus.
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyR For This Useful Post:
Tordan58 (29th September 2015)
Old 29th September 2015

Liked 117 Times in 54 Posts

On a similar and very related subject, I think that there is another issue with the E-M1's C-AF which is that I just don't think it is very accurate!

With firmware 3.0, I think the camera does a better of job of maintaining focus tracking. i.e. it is less prone to losing the subject and go racking off to try and re-acquire it. However, there is still an issue with focus accuracy. Sometimes I feel it follows a subject but is always the same amount out. For example, you might be tracking a bird coming towards you but the focus point is always a couple of feet behind the bird. So tracking but not sharp. Maybe it just isn't ever accurate with a moving subject!

The reason I think that is because of the difference between moving and static subjects. Moving subjects never seem to have the same detail as the same static subject even in excellent light with very fast shutter speeds, good depth of field and good tracking.
Old 29th September 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts

I think you are absolutely right Tony. One of the advantages of my Canon is that it has predictive tracking, ie it calculates where the subject will be at the precise time the shutter actually fires which works very well. I am far from sure the Olympus does this or if it does not very well.
Old 29th September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
I tend to use SAF + MF for these shots as the focus acquisition is fast enough that I never have a problem tracking them to the point of action, then triggering a short sequence at high frame rate (typically 10 fps) to capture specific action

I found it to be a case of understanding and anticipating the action (and lots of practise ) and typically try to at least half fill the EVF with the subject

As an example of shooting using the 40-150 pro on the EM-5 mk2 I have an album of shots from Thruxton earlier this year (for some reason the processing routine I was using stripped out the camera and some of the exif data, but the panned shots were between 1/160th and 1/320th sec and the others were up around 1/1000th sec)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/754450...57654022488343
Yes that is what I reverted to in the end. S-AF single point, single shot, short release lag time. Never been a fan of sequential shooting. That is the set up I am used to from the E-M10, E-PL5 days.