Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 26th July 2015

Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts
Re: Will an OMD-EM1 mk2 finally sort out the...

I cannot for the life of me understand all this 'pussy-footing-around"

Let me state at the outset that C-AF means nothing to me, if it weren't there it would no bother me, I NEVER use it.

All I keep reading is that C-AF is no B****y good.

If that's the case, and good tracking is essential to you then stop griping and move on to a system that excels at it i.e. Nikon/Canon.
See my post above.

But please 'CHANGE THE RECORD'

I have nothing but praise and admiration for my E-M1, FABULOUS CAMERA.

The thought of an E-M1 Mkll sends tingles up my spine, may it live up to my expectations.

But improved C-AF.......not bothered.

A camera cannot be 'all-things-to-all-men'

Please excuse the 'rant', I'll now crawl back into my hole.

OH sorry forgot.....Oly 5 axis IBIS is the best thing to happen to photography since the lens.....IMVHO
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (26th July 2015), Ross the fiddler (27th July 2015)
Old 26th July 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,561 Times in 895 Posts

This may be worth a look for tips on techniques and settings.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 26th July 2015

Liked 43 Times in 20 Posts

It's OK for Dave in Wales to have his rant, but there are a number of people on this forum with a lot of Olympus history going back to when the forum started 2007.
With 4/3rds progressing to E-5. Whilst there wasn't a direct replacement for E-5 so much was expected from E-M1. You could use your 4/3rds lens along side m4/3rds lens and this camera had been designed to work with them.
I was pleased as I owned 3 Top Pro lens 7-14mm, 35-100mm & 90-250mm. All too soon BUT this is not so good etc came out. After one fireware upgrade my 35-100mm would focus just hunted cured with the next fireware.

Still after various fireware updates it still isn't the camera the hype promised. C-AF is poor yes, I use it for motorsport. High ISO is poor well we knew with the small sensor it was never going to beat full frame. But ISO 1600 is my absolute limit and I don't like using that high.
With careful technique you can get some good images from the E-M1 but the C-AF is not reliable with either 4/3rds or m4/3rds. If you only ever use S-AF then it won't be something you notice. Not all of us shoot static subjects.

Am I waiting with baited breath for E-M1 mk2 No! Recently in frustration I bought a Nikon D3s, what a difference, yes I know I get many commenting it's too heavy, it's too big. Not bothered I walked around Cadwell Park yesterday with D3s and Sigma 150-600 attached 4.1 kg. I know it's been replaced by D4, but the auto focus is fantastic yes C-AF. Low light not a worry I was shooting yesterday evening at ISO2000 clean images which on the E-M1 would be unusable.
I love my Olympus this Nikon is the first non Olympus I have had in my hands in 33 years. I have stuck by Olympus and will but not for sports photography, they just don't cut against the opposition.

www.dncphotography.co.uk
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (27th July 2015)
Old 27th July 2015

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

I've Been going down this road ever since I first bought the E-M5 and then had to buy into Canon as a second system for wildlife photography (95% of my work). I do like the EM1 but the main advantages over my Canon - light weight and portability are of minor interest to me. The Canon/Sigma outfit I now have is hardly any heavier than my old E5 kit and the AF performance for wildlife is well ahead of the EM1's.

Eventually, having bought another couple of lenses for the Canon I am now covered from 12.8 - 1344mm EFL, all of it fitting into a 20 litre rucksack together with my binocs. Like Derek I also use the Sigma 150-600mm Sport.
So, delightful as it is the m4/3 kit has now all been sold, there's was no point in hanging on to it when it is collecting dust.

I have been an Olympus owner for many years but loyalty is of no use when it gets in the way of enjoying my hobby. As for learning to use my camera, I think I've done that and don't need to suffer more frustration when there is a system available at equivalent cost that will suit my needs better.

David
DerekC (27th July 2015), Zuiko (27th July 2015)
Old 27th July 2015

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi Been reading the gripes and groans, I have seen some excellent birds in flight images from top photographers using EM1 cameras from what they have said is to adpot a method that will suit both you and the camera.
To derek I have the EM 5 mark 1 and I go upto 6,400 iso with no problem with images upto A3 size print crisp and sharp with very little noise so small you have to look through a magnifying glass to really see it, I have seen worse from the so called Full frame cameras, even from the Nikon D810E.

Dave
byegad (28th July 2015)