Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 3rd September 2009

Liked 70 Times in 28 Posts
Re: Something to mull over about IS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
I leave it turned off if the light is OK as I got good result over the years with the E1.Also its another moving part that could be a failure point plus its also drsaining your battery.
The E-1 does a great job of draining its battery without IS - I think the E-3 will still out-last it with IS turned on! I always use the vertical grip with the E-1 as the standard BLM-1 runtime is not so hot.

Andy
Metz 58 AF-2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

("AndyElliott" @ FTU)
Old 3rd September 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,129 Times in 2,439 Posts
Liked 4,410 Times in 2,093 Posts

The position is clear-cut for me. IS ALWAYS on, except when using a tripod. But then, I've got Parkinson's. To me, IS is THE most important innovation of the digital age!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 3rd September 2009

Liked 1,006 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oly_om View Post
The E-1 does a great job of draining its battery without IS - I think the E-3 will still out-last it with IS turned on! I always use the vertical grip with the E-1 as the standard BLM-1 runtime is not so hot.

Andy

Now thats funny.I find both the E1 and E3 about the same with the IS turned off on a single BLM1,about 250 shots.
I've not done any testing but this seems to be lower on the E3 with IS turned on.
I normaly use the grip on both cameras but find the E1 way outlasts the E3 with the dedicated battery.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 3rd September 2009
Kiwi Paul

I think it depends on what you are shooting, if it's birds or wildlife I have found you need to use a high shutter speed to avoid motion blur (the subject moving or flapping it's wings etc) and as such the shutter speed is already high enough to avoid any blur caused by camera movement but if it's static things you are shooting then since motion blur is no longer an issue you can use much lower shutter speeds and under those conditions IS is useful.

Paul
Old 3rd September 2009

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
I think it depends on what you are shooting, if it's birds or wildlife I have found you need to use a high shutter speed to avoid motion blur (the subject moving or flapping it's wings etc) and as such the shutter speed is already high enough to avoid any blur caused by camera movement but if it's static things you are shooting then since motion blur is no longer an issue you can use much lower shutter speeds and under those conditions IS is useful.

Paul
there's a sort of yes and no in there somewhere Paul - but I agree with the underlying principle!

the problem is that it doesn't take much of a 43 lens for 'fast shutter speed' and the underlying principle of hand held minimum shutter speeds to cross over! at such speed the motion elements of many subjects are reasonably well covered (not hummingbirds or blue tits maybe )

example

70-300 at 300 has a minimum shutter speed of 1/600th (non IS old school) and therefore more like a 1/1250th for any degree of comfort. Now 1/1250th would for many be a fast shutter speed but persobally I would expect IS to work with me in this range, not against. Add an EC20 to the 300/2.8 and, excepting the 3 and 30, you don't really have a shutter speed that's totally safe - but they are certainly fast.

add shooting from a small boat in a choppy sea and what do you get then?

as has been mentioned earlier in the threa, it's easly to illustrate the negative effect that can occur when using IS on a reasonably long exposure with an absolutely solid tripod set up (MLU, remote triggering etc) but I have been unable to illustrate any negative impact on any hand held shot with 'fast shutter speed syndrome' whatever that might be. There is also no real logic to why it might occur either.

At the end of the day it's up to individuals to satisfy themselves (IMO) and it's easy to do.

All the above excludes panning etc
Old 3rd September 2009
Kiwi Paul

I see your point, I was only looking at shooting things from solid ground handheld and no panning, of course any 3rd party movement (a boat rocking etc) needs to be considered and IS is useful then. I always leave IS on and only turn it off as required.

BUt I agree that fast shutter speeds and IS should not adversely affect one another.

Paul
Old 3rd September 2009

Liked 70 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Now thats funny.I find both the E1 and E3 about the same with the IS turned off on a single BLM1,about 250 shots.
I've not done any testing but this seems to be lower on the E3 with IS turned on.
I normaly use the grip on both cameras but find the E1 way outlasts the E3 with the dedicated battery.
I'm comparing running the bll-1 (grip battery) with 2 blm-1 batteries (in the E-3 grip). I tend to leave the camera turned on, just in case something happens, with the shutdown time set quite long (5 minutes). I could also be that my E-1 grip battery is knack'd!

Andy
Metz 58 AF-2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

("AndyElliott" @ FTU)
Old 7th September 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oly_om View Post
IS will soften the image if used on a tripod - in practice, not very much though, and hardly noticeable. If you are using IS hand-held with high shutter speeds, it may well be to take moving objects - in which case, the IS can be bothersome as it can negate any panning motion to track the moving object. If I was hand-holding and using the camera in a fixed position, I would always use IS, irrespective of shutter speed.

Andy
Aren't the IS2 and IS3 (on bodies that have it) modes intended to cope with panning? i.e. you get the benefits of IS for the target object, without it trying to stabilize the moving background. I would have though these modes along with the "normal" IS1 mode suggest that IS is designed as an "always-on" function other than when using a tripod.

Seems to me there are no noticeable downsides to leaving it on, but a big downside if an opportunistic, low-light opportunity gets away because it was switched off!!