Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 21st December 2011

Liked 82 Times in 30 Posts
Just because you can doesn't mean you should...

So, I received another OM 50mm 1.8 in the post today and found a huge speck of something in the middle of the lens. Remembering that I had seen something about stripping these lenses down to clean them I thought I would have a go. The exploded view that several webpages link to is long gone so I decided, with a pair of needlenose pliers and a few jewellers screwdrivers, to take the plunge. After all, what could possibly go wrong?

Well, it is clean back together and I have a new found respect for lens makers. Slightly more of a 'silvernose' than it was before after I had to file some of the rough edges off; caused by some judicious use of one of the screwdrivers to prise off the front plate before realising it unscrews.

It works well (which truly amazed me!) although I consider it more of a franken-lens after the mess I have made of the metal fascia. The original speck would probably not have shown up on images but it was a huge amount of fun to do and actually quite easy. These lenses are cheap and plentiful, so much so that they are almost disposable, but that is the very reason you should take one apart if any of you feel adventurous.

Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to greenguru For This Useful Post:
Falk (23rd December 2011)