Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Standard zoom and mid range

Standard zoom and mid range Lenses with focal lengths larger than 12mm, but no longer than 60mm, includes standard zooms and portrait primes plus some macro lenses.

Old 6th January 2018

Liked 1,099 Times in 442 Posts
Re: Robin Wong review of 17mm f1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
I'm a bit puzzled by the statement in this review that "Neither myself nor MT are associated with Olympus in any way...." On his own blog (assuming it is the same Robin Wong) he states "I am an Olympus Malaysia employee" That was in 2016, so he may have moved on, but he clearly has had close connections with Olympus in the past

There is a direct comparison between the f/1.8 and f/1.2 on the Mirrorless Comparisons website, where you can compare images by the two lenses side-by-side.

I have no doubt that the f/1.2 is technically superior and weather-sealed but, for most practical purposes, there seems to be little to separate them and the f/1.8 is much smaller.
Found that quite interesting and given the price difference the improvement in the image quality isn't enough for me to cough up for one - unless I manage to improve my photography sufficiently to make it important... A weather sealed update of the 1.8 would be in my bag without hesitation...

I'm still using the Panny 20mm 1.7 without worrying about the focus speed...

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 6th January 2018

Liked 113 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
................The only way to get that sort of effect with 4/3 is to have a lens with this aperture.............
Well, you could always add a bit of Gaussian blur to the background in a photo editor
Old 12th January 2018

Liked 420 Times in 297 Posts

Remember that US prices do not contain the state tax amount - we should really compare the US price with the UK excluding VAT price.
Old 13th January 2018

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Found that quite interesting and given the price difference the improvement in the image quality isn't enough for me to cough up for one - unless I manage to improve my photography sufficiently to make it important... A weather sealed update of the 1.8 would be in my bag without hesitation...

I'm still using the Panny 20mm 1.7 without worrying about the focus speed...

Wally - '''Unless you improve your photography''' - !??! -