Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 31st July 2010

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
31st Photo Challenge Results

Big thanks to everyone who entered and voted. Without further ado here are the results:

1st place with 16 points Dave Butcher aka Dbutch (Urban Mona)
2nd place with 13 points David Stanton aka Davidsa (Homage Au M Monet)
3rd place with 9 points Bob Seidel aka BobS (The Somme At Long)

So congratulations to you all. I understand from Dave that as he won last month too (and in fact is still on holiday) it is normal under these circumstances to allow the runner up to organise next months competition so its over to David for the next challenge. However, if this is not possible contingency plans are in place.

Once again, well done everyone.
Old 31st July 2010

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Re: 31st Photo Challenge Results

Congratulations to 1st and 2nd from 3rd

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
GEORGE ORWELL
Old 31st July 2010
davidsa

Smile Re: 31st Photo Challenge Results

Well, my flabber is gasted!

For me the "Urban Mona" is a superb portrait and does indeed capture the feel of the original. It should have been than 3 points ahead of the rest of the pack. Congratulations, Dave! - and to the model!

Bob, it's interesting we both chose Monet. Yes, your shot does make me think of that picture of the Seine - not all that far away, in fact.

Prompts me to wonder which, if they were alive today, of the Impressionists would have been (colour) photographers and which painters.

Yes, I would be delighted to organize the August competition and I have a theme in mind. I will need some advice on the mechanics, and suggestions of what closing date/timetable to set.

David
Old 31st July 2010

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsa View Post

Yes, I would be delighted to organize the August competition and I have a theme in mind. I will need some advice on the mechanics, and suggestions of what closing date/timetable to set.

David
I was prepared to step in if necessary and the only advice I can give is that I would have based it on this month's dates as per dbutch's original post. I guess that means announcing the results on 31 August and therefore working the dates backwards (and no doubt using cut and paste on that post as a base for you own - it seems to be a fairly standard one used each month). I've no doubt past winners will also be able to advise.
Old 31st July 2010

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
Well, my flabber is gasted!

Bob, it's interesting we both chose Monet. Yes, your shot does make me think of that picture of the Seine - not all that far away, in fact.

Prompts me to wonder which, if they were alive today, of the Impressionists would have been (colour) photographers and which painters.

David
David, I only chose Monet because I happened to see a print of a painting which is in the National Gallery shortly after returning from a holiday in France. I had taken photographs of local scenes in the Somme and just had to play around with the colours as all the foliage was lush and green and the oranges of Autumn were required. And, a little bit of softening of the image.

It's a shame that there were only five entries. How can we encourage more members to enter? After all, 'it's not the winning but the taking part that counts' to quote somebody or other!

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
GEORGE ORWELL
Old 31st July 2010

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Well done to the winners

I am looking forward to the next challenge already. I think they are great fun and get you thinking differently about your shots.

Five entries was a bit poor but hopefully more members will join in the fun for August

Greg
Old 31st July 2010

Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,004 Posts
Liked 1,168 Times in 763 Posts

Well done to all.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 5th August 2010

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Thanks guys that's great, and well done to all the entries

Thaks to those that entered
thanks to those that voted (for me)
and a big thanks to Meach for sorting the voting for me whilst I was away
and cheers to Davidsa for hosting the new challenge

Yes I'm back from hols so will take a few days to check whats been going on around here

Dave