Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,090 Posts
Re: ANOTHER American massacre...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
Paul, some time ago I watched a TV program that featured Americans hunting deer and bear from a helicopter using high powered semi-automatic rifles. When interviewed, the so called "sportsmen" taking part stated they had paid a small fortune for the organised hunt and it was their most enjoyable sporting event in years.

John
You need no better metaphor for just how contemptuous humans are when it comes to respecting our planet and the other life forms we share it with.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (1 Week Ago), KeithL (1 Week Ago), Naughty Nigel (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,090 Posts

This is an interesting read too:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ce-charts-data
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,186 Times in 810 Posts

It was reported on the BBC Ten O'clock news last night that at least 68 Americans had been shot and killed since the Las Vegas massacre, but these shootings would not make the news because they were individual incidents.

I keep hearing comments along the lines of "guns don't kill people, people do", but whilst there are guns there will always be a risk.

Equally, I would argue that materials such as cyanide, mercury, arsenic, benzene, organic peroxides and so forth are perfectly safe if handled correctly, but I wouldn't be too happy if an unstable neighbour (i.e. an American) decided to stockpile a tonne or two in his spare room to massage his over-inflated ego and to prove his manhood.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
KeithL (1 Week Ago)
Petrochemist (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

Paul

Loved the Jim Jeffries clips. All hilarious, especially the bit about the gun safe.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 621 Times in 417 Posts

I used to shoot 22 target rifle a lot in the mid 60s to mid 70s - in the Middx team and once for England. I also had several centre fire pistols, mainly 9mm semi-automatics.

What hasn't been mentioned so far, is that for anyone that has an interest in mechanical/technical 'gadgets', semi-automatic pistols have a particular fascination. The ingenuity of their design and skill in manufacture is rarely equalled in other small mechanical devices - the field has always attracted the finest engineers. This is particularly to be found in the earlier designs, such as the Victorian Mauser C96 ('Broomhandle Mauser') and Edwardian Pistol Parabellum P08 ('Luger'). As with most semi-automatic pistols both can be stripped using no tools, and having done so, you'll find yourself marvelling at the genius of the designers and the intricacy of the components, mostly machined from the solid. And all this held compactly in the palm of your hand. In particular, the Mauser is like a Chinese puzzle and I never met anyone that could strip it without being shown how. Even the later WW2 Walther P38 is a fine piece of design and engineering.

I haven't shot or held a pistol for many years, but would still like to handle a Mauser or 'Luger' again, so I could marvel at the design and say 'how many machining operations did it take to make that part?' and 'How the hell did they hold it to do so, anyway?'

Jim
KeithL (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,003 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
It was reported on the BBC Ten O'clock news last night that at least 68 Americans had been shot and killed since the Las Vegas massacre, but these shootings would not make the news because they were individual incidents.
Sounds like a great place to visit.

on flickr
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 486 Times in 277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Sounds like a great place to visit.
It is actually a fabulous and beautiful place to visit. Like any other country it has good places and bad. Just make sure you stick to the good and don't get shot

John
Petrochemist (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 872 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
But what if the violent video games and television programmes didn't exist in the first place.......?

Why do the Americans produce this trash? To make money of course, as they are bankrupt of more original ideas.

If you read the posts in the Lounge many relate to poor business decisions, lack of foresight and short-termism. In my experience these are all American imports, or at least American inspired.

American business is only interested in profit and has no social conscience. As an example, some years ago the Ford Pinto gained a reputation for becoming a fireball if rear-ended. Being America the courts made some big awards for compensation, which of course Ford fought tooth and nail to defend.

Clearly there was a serious and fatal design flaw, but Ford decided that the compensation awarded to the victims' next of kin would still cost less than re-tooling the metal presses. Ford continued to produce these death traps until the Supreme Court handed down a massive fine for Contempt of Court.

This is just one example of many.

Their attitude to the environment is equally disturbing.
There is another American import that most people are unaware of, Nigel. It was the Americans - Wall Street - who wanted Europe to adopt the Euro, not France and not Germany. Wall Street allegedly persuaded the French Finance Minister at the time (forgotten his name) to push the adoption of the Euro, and he did it.

If we go back to Bretton Woods, one of its planks was that the USA would run a budget deficit; and Wall Street would mop up the surplus created by two economies: Germany and Japan, passed back to the US partly via London. And it worked! That is, until Nixon removed the dollar from the gold standard, and effectively wrecked the world economy. One of the economics books that I read a year or two back, by either Stiglitz or Varoufakis, stated that it was the then Director of the Federal Reserve that persuaded the EC to adopt the euro; France first, then Germany. The USA wields too much power, IMV, over the West. And the West seems happy to do as it's told, and hang on America's coat-tails.

The problem stated in the textbooks with the Euro is that it follows the model that the US adopted after and courtesy of Bretton Woods, except in one respect: there is no mechanism in the Euro for handling budget surpluses. Why that's a problem, I don't understand, since I'm not an economist.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 872 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
It is actually a fabulous and beautiful place to visit. Like any other country it has good places and bad. Just make sure you stick to the good and don't get shot

John
But who would have expected what happened in the middle of Las Vegas? It's a lottery whether you get in someone's crossfire. When I visited Tampa in IIRC 88 on the Sunday night there was a gun battle between two drugs gangs on the university campus. In an exchange of hundreds of rounds, a student was shot and killed in the crossfire. The druggies were rapidly caught and locked up, but that didn't give the student his life back. And Tampa University is hardly a den of iniquity!