Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3rd October 2017

Liked 1,115 Times in 646 Posts
ANOTHER American massacre...

I wonder when the US government will acquire some sense, and do something about gun ownership there? Surely the latest massacre ought to make them see sense; but seemingly not, if Trump's "warmest condolences" are anything to go by. Given that much of his elector base is the NRA, he sure ain't likely to condemn guns anytime soon.

Even in a 'normal' time, it's bad there now; I remember going to Detroit for three weeks one October in the early 90s, and there were 11 murders in Metropolitan Detroit in that three weeks. Would we put up with it? No way! One of those murders was on TV. A lady judge, who was divorcing her husband, was in court session, on TV, when he walked into the courtroom, shot her dead, then gave himself up to an usher. In front of the cameras. Two policemen, one a lieutenant, shot dead in Hamtramck district by a deranged retiree. A body in a dumpster, sporting a range of bullet holes. And so on, and so on...

And what do they do? Buy even MORE guns!
Old 3rd October 2017

Liked 3,428 Times in 1,162 Posts
Re: ANOTHER American massacre...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-gun-violence
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (4th October 2017), KeithL (3rd October 2017)
Old 3rd October 2017

Liked 719 Times in 480 Posts

As usual 'Newsthump' put their finger on it:

http://newsthump.com/2017/10/02/good...mass-shooting/

I guess all that will come out of it is that outdoor party goers will be advised to go fully 'tooled up', eg a Toyota pick up truck with a Browning 0.5 HMG mounted on the back. An RPG wouldn't be advised, as it has a slow rate of fire and a Thomson while looking stylish, hasn't the range!

Jim

Jim
drmarkf (4th October 2017), KeithL (3rd October 2017)
Old 3rd October 2017

I find myself unable to understand the mentality. If everyone is armed with handguns, some people will buy SMGs; then everyone will want SMGs. When they get them, next will be some guys wanting something bigger, and so on and so on.

There are more than enough illegal guns in the UK since legal handguns are not allowed.

Almost at the end of a period in Milford, Michigan one of the engineers learned that I used to be a pistol shooter. He asked when I was going home, to which I replied, "At the end of the week". "That's a shame," he said, "I would have invited you over. I've a 40 acre yard with a range. I've a Kalashnikov, an M-16, and...." And I thought to myself, "I'll be glad when I'm on that plane!" Why do they need not only such weapons, but so many? I'm not afraid of guns, but I am afraid of their attitude to them. US police are very trigger-happy now, too. It feels like, you look at police the wrong way, and they'll shoot you and ask questions later.

If America is the great example of democracy, justice, and opportunity to the world, is this really a model that the rest of the world wants?
drmarkf (4th October 2017), MJ224 (4th October 2017), Ross the fiddler (4th October 2017), wornish (4th October 2017)
Old 3rd October 2017

Liked 1,466 Times in 830 Posts

"Those who live by the sword shall die by the sword". Their choice. I am unmoved by it. The USA is one place I would never visit.

Harold
Ross the fiddler (4th October 2017)
Old 3rd October 2017
Administrator

Liked 1,101 Times in 660 Posts

These attacks on innocents and soft targets are horrific and intended to cause the fear and reaction that they so easily achieve. This one it seems is difficult to determine the basic reasons behind the actions.

As many have commented, it is so easy to obtain a gun, and very easy to use it. Equally it is almost as easy to get explosives and chemicals, but that takes a bit more skill to use. Of late vehicles have become the weapon, which are again easy to get and use.

Behind all the arguments and debates, there lies the only common factor, in that it is people who do this, and they will continue to do so, by whatever means is available to them.

Because it's a mass killing and injuring, this escalates the impact of the problem, and hides the overall scale of death by Guns. Currently at just under 8700 Murders by Guns in the USA this year.

The reference of this statistic also provides some shocking numbers

http://www.romans322.com/daily-death...statistics.php

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 3rd October 2017

Liked 278 Times in 143 Posts

We had a worry at work, yesterday. One of our colleagues plays competitive poker and is currently in Las Vegas. Fortunately, he’s been in contact to let everyone know he is safe (and just a couple of blocks away from the murder scene). Not only is this the worst mass shooting, but it is also the least explicable. The shooter was a fairly successful man with, apparently, everything going for him and everything to live for. I fear we may never get to understand this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Internaut For This Useful Post:
KeithL (4th October 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (4th October 2017)
Old 4th October 2017

Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
I wonder when the US government will acquire some sense .....
With Trump at the helm? Never!

The man is mad.

Steve
Old 4th October 2017

Quote:
.... If everyone is armed with handguns, some people will buy SMGs; then everyone will want SMGs. When they get them, next will be some guys wanting something bigger, and so on and so on.....
The US's personal arms race.

Steve
Old 4th October 2017

Liked 770 Times in 420 Posts

The NRA attitude permeates a huge proportion of American society, in my view to the level of a collective delusion: the level of motivated reasoning applied certainly qualifies as a delusion.

A few facts I find interesting:

The Centres for Disease Control & Prevention (the US's excellent federal Public Health organisation) were specifically directed some years ago to stop all their research on gun-related deaths, and they had all their funding removed for that purpose.

If there is a gun in a household in the US, a child in the household is 8 times more likely to be killed or injured by accidental discharge of the weapon than it is ever to be fired in self-defence. (Motivated rationalising of that is of course "I take great care of my guns, so that risk applies to inexperienced/poor/careless/black/hispanic/inner-city people, and not me").

I had a conversation with a successful Chicago commercial lawyer I met on holiday a few years ago who regularly brought up the topic of the 2nd Amendment and told me most of the firearms deaths in the US occurred among inner city blacks (and by implication they therefore weren't worth worrying about). The conversation ceased at that point, I might add.

Roughly 10,000 people die per year in the US from guns fired by other people, but a statistic that's rarely mentioned is that a further 20,000 die per year from guns fired by themselves. In other words, having lethal means readily available makes suicide vastly more successful. (Again, motivated reasoning argues that such things only happen to other people, but, since around 30% of everyone suffers clinical mental illness once or more during their lives, that is a highly risky delusion).

I see Hilary Clinton is making a lot more noise about the NRA these days. If she was to continue in that line she might yet make a worthwhile contribution to humankind, but I'm not holding my breath. Research also shows that people who hold fixed and self-serving beliefs in reality have them firmed-up by contrary scientific evidence rather than having them weakened.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Jim Ford (4th October 2017), Johnheatingman (4th October 2017), KeithL (4th October 2017)
Old 4th October 2017

Liked 1,466 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
With Trump at the helm? Never!

The man is mad.

Steve
He was heavily funded, in his election campaign (corrupt electoral system), by the gun lobby.

Harold
KeithL (5th October 2017), Wreckdiver (4th October 2017)
Old 4th October 2017

Liked 294 Times in 220 Posts

The Vegas gun man had the means and ability to deliver the ultimate to F U too the rest of society, he had had all the fun he wanted and thought that this would be the ultimate exit.
KeithL (5th October 2017)
Old 4th October 2017

Thanked 1,106 Times in 872 Posts
Liked 1,299 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
I wonder when the US government will acquire some sense, ......................
Are you kidding? Sense, what's that? With a president voted in that they have, the people don't seem to have any, so with the money making heavies that have stooges in congress there isn't much hope.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 4th October 2017

Perhaps an even more disturbing statistic is that per capita, Canada has more guns than the USA. Yet they don't have the same problem of mass killings. One reason is that they have to be locked in cabinets in gun clubs (as we used to do for some firearms). They have fun shooting at paper targets, rather than people.

The Americans seem to have a fixation on some sort of - for want of a better description - apocalyptic war, where they will need bunkers and to be armed to the teeth. Does this come from computer warlike games? I don't think so, because I think this problem precedes computer wargaming. There seems to be a collective mindset hooked on shoot 'em up before they get you, even from the US police.

I stayed in a hotel in Detroit once, where there was a wildlife reserve warden staying. Guess what? Tooled up like the SAS! I had to go to a hospital for treatment in Detroit once; again, guards patrolling the corridors, also tooled up like they were at war. In the latter case, I said to my American host, "Why on earth do they need guns to patrol a hospital?" And his answer was, "Yeah, well, some of them do get a kinda John Wayne mentality." Fine - so why not DO SOMETHING about it?

Again, near Detroit, in Milford, MI, I was talking to one of the engineers. He said to me, "Ya don't wanna go down South! They're real gun-mad down there. Even take their pieces out with them to restaurants and dances."

It isn't as if many of the population don't know there's a problem; it seems to be the total lack of ability or will to do something about it. If both Dems and Republicans acted together, they could effectively shut down the NRA, and clamp down on gun ownership. But politics being what it is, they won't.
Old 4th October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
He was heavily funded, in his election campaign (corrupt electoral system), by the gun lobby.

Harold
That doesn't surprise me in the least.

Steve