Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,003 Times in 612 Posts
Re: Is this the end for Ryanair?

Naughty Nigel, it wasn't my aim to turn this political, just picking up on your remark 'race to the bottom' - I thought there was a link. Thanks for your comprehensive response.

on flickr
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,186 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
It is unthinkable. There's no way that Rupert Murdoch, the Barkley Brothers or Paul Dacre would allow a Corbyn government!

Jim
I fear you may well be right Jim, although the way of modern media means that perhaps Murdoch, the Barkley Brothers and Paul Dacre don't wield quite as much power as they once did. Social media (including fake news) is becoming a far more powerful force.

Don't get me wrong; much of what JC says makes a lot of sense at the present time, even if many of his promises are undeliverable and only exist in JC's own private fantasy land. But a lot of the Labour grass roots around here (and this is a Labour stronghold) openly admit that they would rather not vote at all than vote for a Corbyn led government.

At the same time, I feel the conventional media is becoming increasingly impatient with Mrs Mayhem and her handling of the Brexit negotiations, so I don't think anything is as clear cut as it once was.

However, I would rather this thread didn't descend in to a political slanging match.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Naughty Nigel, it wasn't my aim to turn this political, just picking up on your remark 'race to the bottom' - I thought there was a link. Thanks for your comprehensive response.
I should clarify that my remark about "the race to the bottom" was not intended to be in any way political, but it is something that I feel very strongly about, and which seems to pervade every part of our lives nowadays.

However, what I really resent is that nobody strives for excellence any more. The aim is simply to do or provide the absolute minimum to get the job done as quickly as possible without complaint from the customer. Week by week and year by year we see quality and standards gradually eroded, and more and more responsibility handed to the buyer (as in self-serve, self-help and so on).

I am also extremely cynical about the current irritating trend for opinion surveys after just about everything we do. None of them seem to make any difference.

What I would like to know is whether these surveys are really about improving standards; whether the companies are simply trying to create the illusion of being interested; or whether positive feedback might actually be used to cut corners? After all, if I were to click on the five star boxes after having my car serviced it might well indicate an opportunity to cut costs.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
KeithL (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

I recently did a survey, requested by a well known travel company. Pretty much the whole of the survey was tailored to show the best and nothing but the best.
There were the usual tick boxes regarding how well they were doing in various areas but if you tick ' not very good' they then say 'We noticed that you liked what we do, tell us more' sort of thing. There were boxes saying 'Tell us what we are doing right' yet not one box asking 'tell us if you think we are doing anything wrong'.
Surveys are always worded to show the best of a company, never the worst.
Naughty Nigel (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,092 Times in 861 Posts
Liked 1,253 Times in 772 Posts

I found this on FB & it is 'priceless!' on Spotted Portsmouth
"Spare a thought for poor ole Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of Ryanair."
https://www.facebook.com/SpottedPort...type=3&theater

Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Naughty Nigel (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

The natural world (physics, really) conserves energy, eg soap bubbles, so it's not surprising that we humans want to conserve our efforts. The 'man in a van' you employ to do a job around your house wants to be in and out as quickly as possible for maximum return. (I suppose if I were a tradesman working 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year, my customers would get an adequate job since perfection is too time consuming. This in a sense fits in with the race to the bottom in a competitive capitalist society.

on flickr
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I found this on FB & it is 'priceless!' on Spotted Portsmouth
"Spare a thought for poor ole Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of Ryanair."
https://www.facebook.com/SpottedPort...type=3&theater

I saw that a few days ago and thought it was funny then.

However, the point is that we have collectively created monsters like Ryanair, Amazon and so forth by falling for their underhand sales tactics.

How can anyone be stupid enough to fall for a £1.99 airplane ticket when you have to pay extra for a seat, £48 to take a bag and then pay another £6 to actually pay them?

Take B&Q as anther example. B&Q were very competitive when they first started out, and generally provided reasonable quality merchandise. They put most of their competitors out of business and have created their own monopoly.

B&Q is now one of the most expensive places to buy DIY and hardware, and the service is crap. Recent visitors to B&Q might also have noticed that stores are eerily quiet, especially during the week; a fact which management must be aware of.

However, the same company also owns Screwfix, where many of the same products are available for a fraction of the price.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
The natural world (physics, really) conserves energy, eg soap bubbles, so it's not surprising that we humans want to conserve our efforts. The 'man in a van' you employ to do a job around your house wants to be in and out as quickly as possible for maximum return. (I suppose if I were a tradesman working 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year, my customers would get an adequate job since perfection is too time consuming. This in a sense fits in with the race to the bottom in a competitive capitalist society.
I agree to a point, and few people enjoy doing nothing all day; but when the 'man in the van' is tasked with completing five jobs in a day when realistically he can only complete three you have a recipe for problems.

There was an item on BBC's watchdog recently about a number of house fires caused by incorrectly fitted Smart Meters.

Replacing an electricity meter is a fairly simple process that should be difficult to get wrong, but it seems the contractors are tasked with replacing so many in a day that the job just doesn't get done properly.

V = I R means that poorly made connections get hot. Everything will be fine whilst only the lights are being used, but an electric shower, charging an electric car or another heavy load results in rapid heating and fire!

I don't expect perfection, but if I am paying top dollar for a "quality" product or service I expect it to be up to scratch, and not a corner cutting exercise.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Ah, electricity meters. A number of years ago our meter was replaced (not part of this smart meter replacement nonsense). One of the electricity board's men turned up and did the job - it was quite a difficult due to limited access under the stairs. Anyway, he forgot to reattach the earth and it wasn't until we had outside lights installed a few years later by a qualified electrician that he discovered the fault - no earth. Yes I know the star point is earthed at source, but the supply undergoes transformation along the way. Human error!

on flickr
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Ah, electricity meters. A number of years ago our meter was replaced (not part of this smart meter replacement nonsense). One of the electricity board's men turned up and did the job - it was quite a difficult due to limited access under the stairs. Anyway, he forgot to reattach the earth and it wasn't until we had outside lights installed a few years later by a qualified electrician that he discovered the fault - no earth. Yes I know the star point is earthed at source, but the supply undergoes transformation along the way. Human error!
So he didn't perform an earth loop check before leaving site?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,090 Posts

The free market will always adapt to the customers' needs. Those that do survive, those that don't, won't. It's a pretty basic and universal point. To stop exploitation of the weak in this endeavour we need regulation - plain and simple. Good government gives us the lightest of regulation commensurate with maximising freedoms. It's a delicate path to tread.

We could arguably say that neo-liberalism and free-market economics, reinforced by globalisation and its impotence to regulate cross-border corporations, has gone too far. That's actually Jeremy Corbyn's message. The stats show that it's an idea that's resonating with the people.
KeithL (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanked 2,832 Times in 2,184 Posts
Liked 3,422 Times in 1,609 Posts

Spare a thought for poor ole Michael O’Leary, Chief Executive of Ryanair.

After arriving in a hotel in Manchester, he went to the bar and asked for a pint of Guinness.

The barman nodded and said, "That will be £1 please, Mr. O’Leary."

Somewhat taken aback, O'Leary replied, "That's very cheap," and handed over his money.

"Well, we do try to stay ahead of the competition", said the lbarman. "And we are serving free pints every Wednesday from 6 pm until 8 pm. We have the cheapest beer in England".

"That is remarkable value", Michael comments.

"I see you don't seem to have a glass, so you'll probably need one of ours. That will be £3 please."

O'Leary scowled, but paid up.

He took his drink and walked towards a seat. "Ah, you want to sit down?" said the barman. "That'll be an extra £2. You could have pre-booked the seat, and it would have only cost you £1."

"I think you may be too big for the seat sir, can I ask you to sit in this frame please".

Michael attempts to sit down but the frame is too small and when he can't squeeze in, he complains "Nobody would fit in that little frame".

"I'm afraid if you can't fit in the frame you'll have to pay an extra surcharge of £4 for your seat sir".

O'Leary swore to himself, but paid up. "I see that you have brought your laptop with you" added the barman. "And since that wasn't pre-booked either, that will be another £3."

O'Leary was so incensed that he walked back to the bar, slammed his drink on the counter, and yelled, "This is ridiculous, I want to speak to the manager".

"I see you want to use the counter," says the barman, "that will be £2 please."

O'Leary's face was red with rage. "Do you know who I am?"

"Of course I do Mr. O'Leary."

"I've had enough! What sort of a Hotel is this? I come in for a quiet drink and you treat me like this. I insist on speaking to a manager!"

"Here is his e-mail address, or if you wish, you can contact him between 9.00 am and 9.01am every morning, Monday to Tuesday at this free phone number. Calls are free, until they are answered, then there is a talking charge of only £1 per second, or part thereof".

"I will never use this bar again".

"OK sir, but do remember, we are the only hotel in England selling pints for £1."

I can still copy and paste! Following this thread with interest even though not participating.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Greytop (2 Weeks Ago), Johnheatingman (2 Weeks Ago), Naughty Nigel (2 Weeks Ago), Petrochemist (2 Weeks Ago), Ricoh (2 Weeks Ago), Ross the fiddler (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 536 Times in 286 Posts

I know we might jest, but the "We" choose these cheap/low cost so the "we" can afford expensive cameras amongst other things.

Answer to RyanAir, if you don't think you are paying enough for a service is to book business class or more to fly with.

Personally for the couple of hours in the air to get to my holiday destination, I can put up with a no frills service. As long as I know what no frills means.

Which of course is one of the Ryanair problems.................

This does not excuse Ryanair for their rota problems. Apparantly it is a industry problem of not having enough training places for pilots. Only gonna get worse I am led to believe.......

My Flickr
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

Nice one Zuiko :-)

If only some of these jokes actually happened the world might be in a better place.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 872 Times in 503 Posts

I remember this joke from many moons ago, when Ryanair treated only its customers like brown stuff: Someone in an airport sees a rather nice looking air hostess sitting alone at a table, doesn’t recognize the clothes. Sits down by her, and says, “Hi Miss, what airline are you with? Air France?”
No answer. So he tries again, “Perhaps it’s Lufthansa?” Still no answer. So he tries again, “I must have got it wrong. KLM?” She answers, “F*** off!” “Ah, Ryanair…!”

I and some colleagues flew for a meeting from Stansted to Sligo. To come back, we had to book on Air Arran from Sligo to Dublin, then Ryanair to Stansted. Air Arran, it seems was ALWAYS late, and our flight was no exception. We got to Dublin to find Ryanair's gate just closing. They were utterly unhelpful and quite rude. They could have let us on. Instead, we were told to go to their desk. There we told we would have to book and pay for new tickets. We had no choice - but had to pay a lot more because it was in the airport and not pre-booked. And there was something like 5 hours wait in Dublin airport, which was hardly salubrious at that time. The only other Ryanair flights I had to use were to Brussels...or rather, IIRC, Liege. Grotty airport, next to nothing to eat or drink (important, because I am diabetic) and a 40 mile train journey into Brussels. Cheap for the flight, but when you added on the cost of the (slow!) train and the wastage of time, it was cheaper to go with a decent airline.....except try telling project accountants that.

Tags
michael o'leary, ryanair