Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 1 Week Ago

Thanked 1,092 Times in 861 Posts
Liked 1,253 Times in 772 Posts
Re: Another big loss to the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Another bete noire of mine is the execrable 'Spiegel im Spiegel' by Arvo Part (Fart!)

Screeeeee ... plinkle plonckle .... screeeeee ... plinkle plonckle. Repeated ad nauseum!

Jim
Come on Jim. Get with it!

I've added this, just for you Jim.

Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (1 Week Ago), Otto (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
I've listened to this online station in the past and it was excellent:

https://www.classicalmusicamerica.com/

Jim
I hope you like music of Shostakovich because that is playing now (I do).

Or you could listen online (as a number do overseas) to this. http://radio.abc.net.au/stations/classic/live?play=true

Quote:
I thought you'd be listening to Dame Nellie Melba on a wind up 78!

;^)

Jim
You guys must be so 'backward' thinking we're that 'backward'.

Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 471 Times in 317 Posts

When I first saw the name Arvo Part I thought it was an Australian talking about the period following lunch

Useful for quizzes though - how many other famous Estonians can you name?

John
Jim Ford (1 Week Ago), Ross the fiddler (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 621 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Come on Jim. Get with it!

I've added this, just for you Jim.

Arvo Part Spiegel Im Spiegel - YouTube
I like the image, Ross!

Jim
Ross the fiddler (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I hope you like music of Shostakovich because that is playing now (I do).
Yes, I do - well most of it.

Quote:
You guys must be so 'backward' thinking we're that 'backward'.
Where I worked as a science technician, we bought some rather fine physics equipment from a company in Melbourne (we can't make things like that anymore!). I said to an Australian physics teacher that: "It's marvellous what can be made from a few pieces of wood and oil drum, using primitive tools!" He liked that!

Jim
KeithL (1 Week Ago), Ross the fiddler (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
I like the image, Ross!

Jim
There's more if you play the video too.

Quote:
Where I worked as a science technician, we bought some rather fine physics equipment from a company in Melbourne (we can't make things like that anymore!). I said to an Australian physics teacher that: "It's marvellous what can be made from a few pieces of wood and oil drum, using primitive tools!" He liked that!

Jim
Quality &/or ingenuity then?

Hope my wife's HSC Physics students do OK in the exams.
Jim Ford (6 Days Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,067 Times in 464 Posts

Music is all in the ears of the beholder. What one person likes, another finds it a discordant noise as this OPUS item proves. http://www.cmuse.org/orchestral-musi...es-to-surface/

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Ross the fiddler (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 872 Times in 503 Posts

There is a lot of good music on Classic FM; but they spoil it by keep playing a small repertoire of the same pieces - and that damned vote for the "best classical pieces". And "carpe diem" - aaaarrrgghh! They are trying to be all things to all people, and it doesn't work well.

But you also have to remember, it's Classic FM, NOT Classical FM. I came across some interesting Argentinian and Cuban music (not the usual Spanish style): anyone tried Frank Emilio Flynn? Or Carlos Gardel? (Who was French, despite his name) Or the Argentinian singer Mercedes Sosa? That started when I heard a Carlos Gardel piece on Classic FM. Like Gardel, they played just one waltz by Karl-Peter Ziehrer, Strauss's great rival. He wrote just as many dance pieces as Strauss, and many are good. So why not play more of them?

There is a lot of more obscure music out there, and much of it has merit; and a lot of composers who are little known. Come across Johann Gottfried Piefke? He spent his professional life as Kapellmeister to first the Prussian, then the Imperial German Army, which mean that, like Sousa, he wrote many, many marches. Not that I recommend this one, but he wrote Hitler's favorite march, the Koeniggraetzer March. (The one you always hear being played by marching German soldiers in WW2 films!)

Like so many things these days, Classic FM is dumbed down. A shame, because it used to be much better than it is now.
Naughty Nigel (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Hitler's favorite march, the Koeniggraetzer March. (The one you always hear being played by marching German soldiers in WW2 films!)
I asked my partner (born in East Prussia in the early part of the War) if she knew the march, but she didn't. I then found it on Youtube and she instantly recognised it. She then asked if I could find 'Ich hatt' einen Kameraden' and 'Horst Wessel Lied', both of which her father (who served in the Werhmacht), she remembers singing. They both reduced her to tears.

Jim
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
I asked my partner (born in East Prussia in the early part of the War) if she knew the march, but she didn't. I then found it on Youtube and she instantly recognised it. She then asked if I could find 'Ich hatt' einen Kameraden' and 'Horst Wessel Lied', both of which her father (who served in the Werhmacht), she remembers singing. They both reduced her to tears.

Jim
H'mm, the Horst Wessel Lied isn't a good idea these days!

You may like the Dueppeler Schantzenmarsch by Piefke. But it's unwise to play to a Danish person - it was written to accompany the Prussian troops over the top in the 1864 assault on the Dybb°l redoubts, when Denmark was utterly defeated in the first of Bismarck's wars. But it's a very attractive piece of music.

The Koeniggraetzer March was written by Piefke in 1866 as a triumphal march after Prussia defeated Austria at the battle of Koeniggratz. The only other one you hear these days of Piefke's marches is Preusens Gloria.
Old 1 Week Ago

Liked 1,186 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
There is a lot of good music on Classic FM; but they spoil it by keep playing a small repertoire of the same pieces - and that damned vote for the "best classical pieces". And "carpe diem" - aaaarrrgghh! They are trying to be all things to all people, and it doesn't work well.
To be fair, Classic FM improves a lot in the evenings, when I guess they are not competing so much for the mass market. There are also very few advertisements at this time.

I particularly enjoy David Mellor's programmes and his documentary style, where they do explore a lot of music that is never heard on CFM during the day.

Out of sheer devilment I am hoping that perhaps an organ builder such as Harrison & Harrison (based here in Durham) might have the foresight to sponsor one of CFM's daytime programmes. That way CFM listeners would come to realise that there is a vast repertoire written for the King of Instruments, and not just that wretched French toccata that we hear on the hour every hour.

The irony is that the (in)famous Toccata which concludes Charles-Marie Widor's 5th symphony is preceded by a sublime adagio, which I don't think I have ever heard broadcast on any wireless programme. The popularity of this particular toccata is a great shame as many of Widor's other works are of better quality. It would also be good to hear more of the other great French composers such as Louis Vierne and CÚsar Franck.

Then there is the subject of wind pressures and French reeds ........

Now, where did I leave my anorak?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
KeithL (6 Days Ago), Ross the fiddler (1 Week Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 286 Times in 212 Posts

I used to listen to CFM quite a bit on a reasonable hi-fi system but I gave up because I got annoyed by the different volume levels and tone mix they used for the adverts.
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
To be fair, Classic FM improves a lot in the evenings, when I guess they are not competing so much for the mass market. There are also very few advertisements at this time.

I particularly enjoy David Mellor's programmes and his documentary style, where they do explore a lot of music that is never heard on CFM during the day.

Out of sheer devilment I am hoping that perhaps an organ builder such as Harrison & Harrison (based here in Durham) might have the foresight to sponsor one of CFM's daytime programmes. That way CFM listeners would come to realise that there is a vast repertoire written for the King of Instruments, and not just that wretched French toccata that we hear on the hour every hour.

The irony is that the (in)famous Toccata which concludes Charles-Marie Widor's 5th symphony is preceded by a sublime adagio, which I don't think I have ever heard broadcast on any wireless programme. The popularity of this particular toccata is a great shame as many of Widor's other works are of better quality. It would also be good to hear more of the other great French composers such as Louis Vierne and CÚsar Franck.

Then there is the subject of wind pressures and French reeds ........

Now, where did I leave my anorak?
Wireless programme? The Light Programme or the Home Service? Educating Archie? The Glums? ("Ro-o-o-on!" "Yes Eff?" "Are you there, Ron?" "Yes Eff." etc...) ITMA? ( "Can y'hear me, Mother?") I usually ask check out persons if their card machine is wireless.......

Harrison and Harrison still exist? I played one of their organs in Warkworth church many years ago; also a Walker in a church in Kielder Forest, that was used temporarily in York Minster. Down here we tend to have Norman and Beard organs - there is a superb one in Aylsham church, which I played about 35 years ago. 32 foot basses (3/4 bar delay!) Makes you feel all-powerful playing a thing like that - my Conn Theater pales into insignificance in comparison! You can't easily get permission these days.

I'll have to tell you a funny organ story later.....
Naughty Nigel (6 Days Ago)
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
I used to listen to CFM quite a bit on a reasonable hi-fi system but I gave up because I got annoyed by the different volume levels and tone mix they used for the adverts.
Not to mention the rubbish quality on DAB...
Old 6 Days Ago

Liked 286 Times in 212 Posts

Wash your mouth out after using the word DAB.