Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 30th September 2017

Liked 1,118 Times in 648 Posts
Machiavelli...?

Reading about BoJo's continued undermining of TM publicly, I was wondering why she tolerates his overtly disloyal antics. It has been said that she isn't strong enough to fire him, but I was thinking perhaps she could have been reading Machiavelli, and trying to put his advice into practice. You know the bit of advice: "Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer".

Watching what has been going on, and all the shenanigans about Brexit, does Machiavelli's advice generally still hold good in this day and age? The world is a very different place to the world of 1500; one could say that people don't fundamentally change, but how true is it, especially in the tortured world of modern politics?

I'm in total agreement with Socrates, when he said, some 2200 years ago, "Politicians aren't born, they are excreted." That definitely hasn't changed!

In the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, around 900 AD, Anglo Saxon youths were complaining about the Danish youths living nearby, because they were always washing their hair and bathing, and so had much more success with the local girls. And that sort of thing definitely hasn't changed either!

Women are supposed to be more devious and more deadly than men. Looking at the TM/BoJo debacle, one could be forgiven for thinking that is something that has changed. And remembering that Niccolo Machiavelli was a man writing for men, is his advice still appropriate?

What do you reckon, folks?
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (30th September 2017)
Old 30th September 2017

Liked 1,263 Times in 863 Posts
Re: Machiavelli...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Women are supposed to be more devious and more deadly than men.
I can believe that. Women also have more 'weapons' in their armoury, and can be very persuasive.

However, from bitter personal experience of office politics I would say men are more dangerous, and more vindictive.

That was twenty-five years ago. I doubt that much has changed; although the gentleman concerned was known to have 'compromised' another man further up the food chain, which possibly wouldn't have the same gravitas or leverage today.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing