Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 111 Times in 74 Posts
Whew that was close!

Several months ago SWMBO decided she wanted a dog ending in a "short detour" of 30 miles or so without telling me why resulting in the acquisition of a retriever pup.
Now 10 months old he is sweet natured but very naughty, among other things running off with precious items to entice you to chase him. Today when a man came to the door wanting to read the meter I put my EM-1 MKII with attached 40-150 Pro on the dining room table while I went to answer the door. I turned round just in time to see him drag the camera by the extended lens hood towards the edge of the table. I am sure the unexpected weight as it went over the edge held only by canine teeth would have pivoted it out of his mouth and smashed it on the brick floor if I had not distracted him with an agonised yell of "No!" while diving across the room rather faster than the average septuagenarian! What a flippin' dog!
He went dancing gaily out of the door into the garden looking for more mischief while I contemplated murder!
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (3 Weeks Ago), KeithL (2 Weeks Ago), mack100 (1 Week Ago), MJ224 (3 Weeks Ago), Naughty Nigel (3 Weeks Ago), OM USer (3 Weeks Ago), pault (3 Weeks Ago), PeterBirder (3 Weeks Ago), shenstone (3 Weeks Ago), sosen13 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,090 Posts
Re: Whew that was close!

Ha - that's dogs for you. Years ago I had a friend who had a dog that one day ate all the wallpaper off the lounge after escaping from the kitchen where she was left for a few hours. They can be fun, but they can create a lot of work.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,092 Times in 861 Posts
Liked 1,253 Times in 772 Posts

I'm very careful with dangling straps off the table with my dogs around. The youngest pup has chewed on the corner zip tags on one of my camera bags (nothing too serious), but I would dread seeing my gear go crashing to the floor because I left something there for a dog to grab.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I very carefully made sure there were no dangling straps, indeed the camera was put into the middle of the table. Pesky pooch reached right into the middle of the table and grabbed the camera by the outside of the lens hood.
He enjoyed himself yesterday twice pulling a large rug into the garden to "kill" it and after being relieved of the rug went round removing flower heads.
I am not really doing well in persuading anybody to take him on am I?
My wife insists that I mention that since having to walk him my BP has come under control.She obviously did not measure it when I saw my camera being grabbed by him though!
The Following Users Liked This Post:
KeithL (2 Weeks Ago), Ross the fiddler (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,092 Times in 861 Posts
Liked 1,253 Times in 772 Posts

Our (my son's) red kelpie snatched the left over baked chicken off the bench, but that has to be more tempting than a camera though. The garbage bin is another favourite resource too, if the lid isn't down.
I also have to worry when my 3 year old grandson visits too, because the table cloth gets dragged off the table (well just a little) if he's not careful.

Anyhow, it is a 'heart in the mouth' moment when the camera gear looks like it's going to hit the deck.

Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 3 Weeks Ago

My grandchildren of similar ages to yours have not yet done anything.
However I well remember when my eldest son got my camera gear out of the cupboard, took all the lenses out, removed the lens caps before liberally coating everything in raspberry jam. He survived to eventually become father to one of said grandchildren.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 872 Times in 503 Posts

Our cockatiel used to love my camera, but he wasn't strong enough to harm it - thank goodness! But he was an absolute wizard at plucking eyebrows..... But watching clips of large parrot antics, I dread to think what a macaw could do to a camera! (Think enormously strong beak, brazil nuts, cracking open...then think plastic lens housings...) And a macaw would definitely be strong enough to drag an M1 and lens off a table!

We love our pets much more than our cameras, though, really, don't we...?
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (2 Weeks Ago)