Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 17th February 2008
scanny

E1 Damage?

Hi all

I posted this on another four thirds forum the day after it happened in a panic trying to asses the damage. I have since picked up another body but still have the damaged one. No one had experienced this fault before so i was left none the wiser. Has anyone here found this symptom?

I set up my E1 on my new manfrotto 190 and fl36 flash to get some group pictures at the bells on hogmany. It was set to my height, 5 foot 7. One of my flatmate's walked into it and it fell over. The flash snapped off the bottom panel and the five wires snapped at the solder, repairable im sure. A lot of chunks out of the plastic but its asthetic. The e1 body was struck on the rear thankfully saving the lens. With the flash taking the brunt of the impact the body has a mark, a graze with the magnesium showing through, at the write light and under the ael button. I thought it was cosmetic and id got away with it however when i look throught the viewfinder the display lines are partially missing. The shutter, apperture ect are displayed on eight segment units and on the upper (the top of the eight so above the midline) are not working so you get partiall display of the settings. Apperture, Shutter, buffer and flash are effected. The camera does take pictures however now hunts to autofocus with a lens on, without a lens on it shoots. The person who knocked it has paid for a replacement body and flash. ive checked out the 14-54mm lens that was on the body and it has a few clunks when extending but seems sharp and saved. From the build of the e1 im pretty surprised the body has broken after a fall like this, has anyone had any similar problems to this with an e1 and can it be salvaged before i need to sell it for spares

Thanks for your time guys

Steve
Old 17th February 2008
Scapula Memory

Re: E1 Damage?

My guess is that the only way you will find out is to let Olympus service have it and get a quote. From there you can decide whether the cost is worth it in comparison to a S/H body or putting the money away for something else. The E1 is a tough enough camera but even so a hard knock like you describe could be enough to kill it. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
Old 17th February 2008
scanny

I picked up another body so happily using that but if theres life in the damged one it could serve as a backup or for using somewere id not normally risk a camera. The person jumped back into it so it was a good thud, im puzled why only parts of the display has failed. I would have expected a total failure it the vibration damaged a circut. Were do you get details on olys repair service?

Thanks
Old 17th February 2008
Scapula Memory

This may get you on your way,

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_1562.htm

If you do post it off I would be interested to hear how it all went. good luck.
Old 17th February 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

If you ask, Olympus will give you an estimate before repairing.
Old 18th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanny View Post

From the build of the e1 im pretty surprised the body has broken after a fall like this...
Ouch! I'm not: that sounds like a pretty hard impact, especially as the tripod was shoved, adding to the velocity. Presumably it was onto a hard surface too? Hope it's fixable at a sensible price.
Old 18th February 2008
Xpres

What a shame. I don't suppose there is much that would survive a whack like that unscathed. Have you tried Luton cameras? They repair a lot of used olympus stuff.
Old 18th February 2008
scanny

yeh it was tarmac so not much give!.My concern was that there was not one component that failed and it seems like part of the diaplay has so it could be anything. The metering, af ect could all be effected without knowing it. It put a dampener on hogmany from there on but leson learned. The person agreed to pay for a new E1 and pay the price i paid for the flash (it was on sale so it was a steep jump up to the Fl 50). The only reservation i have with sending it to Olympus is they stat they will harge for the cost of the estimate, ill give them a call and get a figure to expect before comiting to sending it of. I noticed Bristol Cameras when i was searching for a flash cover that went walkies, ill give them a call to
Old 18th February 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,233 Posts
Liked 1,653 Times in 740 Posts

I'm not a production engineer, but my understanding is that the E-1's magnesium alloy moulding is more brittle than the most recent 'thixo' moulded cameras, like the E-3. Die-cast parts from cameras used to be quite fragile. I can remember cracking the die-cast casing of an OM Power Winder many years ago. Having looked at the E-3's thixo moulded chassis, and seeing various people stand on it and throw it around, it looks much more impressive from a robustness point of view.

I also had a similar accident with an E-1 a while back - it had a FL-40 attached and the plastic around the foot sheered off. I still have the flash actually. The body was fine though.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 18th February 2008
scanny

The fl 36 broke of at the base and could have been glued back together and would only need a a new cable from the main board to the hot shoe contacts. Ive put up a picture in my photobucket of it. Ive never touched much on electronics, all my degree electives were fluids and structures, i just trusted the electronics guy on projects. Picture wise it takes and they look reasonable, i just didnt want left with a camera that would break a few weks later and cost me a packet to replace.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=P2180073.jpg