Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 15th February 2008
scanny

Photographing a Wedding, what do you advise??

Hi all

I got myself a lovely ef and fl 50 and i have a family wedding coming up soon and want to use it to take pictures. Ill admit that i dont have much experienc with the E1( i strated out on a trusty e400 and still have it) or using flash, but from preliminary shots they work well and the recharge time on the 50 is much better than the fl 36.

Ill need to buy a flash diffuser so thats on the list. What ballpark settings are good for indoor and outdoor snapping with the flash? I presume iso down to 100 and for most of the portraits keep the aperture down as close to 2.8 on the ZD 14-54mm. As for angles i plan to keep it fairly traditional in aspect. The wedding will be in the early afternoon so there should (fingers crossed) be enough light available to keep the nasty flurorescant lights at bay. As for tripod i got a nice manfrotto 190 for christamas so its stury enough to keep the whole set up stable and i have an IR remote.

Ive been toying with trying reflectors after reading about them in dp magazine this month, i presume nice warm tones will be wanted for close up portrait work?

Thanks in advance for your time

Steve

Last edited by scanny; 16th February 2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 16th February 2008
Hiding_Pup

Re: Photographing a Wedding, what do you advise??

TTL on the flash, P mode on camera and AUTO for ISO setting works deceptively well.
Old 16th February 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiding_Pup View Post
TTL on the flash, P mode on camera and AUTO for ISO setting works deceptively well.
Yes, keep it simple, you'll be fully occupied trying to arrrange groups, encouraging wedding guests into position when they'd rather talk to people they haven't seen for ages, waiting anxiously for someone who has wandered off when they're needed for a particular group shot, dealing with over enthusiastic guests who have a particular talent for getting in your way while taking photographs themselves, casting an anxious eye at the gathering clouds that seem ready to burst at any moment - the list goes on!

Whatever you do, don't agree to be the best man as well as the photographer.

And don't agree to try and shoot video as well as stills.

I've got away with both of those nightmares, but only just!

And after three weddings, my main advice would be - don't do weddings! (Leave it to the pros, they're welcome to it!)

But if you really must......set the camera how Hiding Pup suggests - you'll have one less thing to worry about.

Good luck!

Zuiko

P.S. Make sure you discuss in advance with the Bride and Groom what you're going to shoot. They may want particular group shots that don't conform to the standard and may have a special requirement, such as a picture of just the two of them with a favourite Aunt. Its far easier to work these details out in advance rather than muddle through on the day. And take a list of all the required groupings with you - it's surprising how blank your mind goes when you're in panic mode!
Old 16th February 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I agree with what Zuiko suggests.

Most importantly, ensure you discuss expectations with the bride and groom such that you all know and understand exactly what is required, and what you're hopefully going to deliver. You must have this discussion with the bride and groom... simple as.

Understand the requirement, set expectations, deliver...

Good luck.

Old 16th February 2008

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts

Have they booked a Pro or will you be the official photographer?
Dave.
Old 16th February 2008

Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts

Scott Kelby's books: "The Digital Photography Book" and "The Digital Photography Book Vol2 " both have a chapter on tips for Wedding photography. They are usually available on Amazon at a bargin price.

These are beginners books but the tips are very good. (e.g. silence the beep at Weddings!)

Try and get some shots different to those the Pro Photographer will be taking.
Old 16th February 2008

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts

A tip passed on to me was
Start off with the whole group photo - ie the maximum number of people in the shot then peel off the lesser people to eventually ending up with just the bride. With a bit of luck this technique will reduce the chance of key person being missing when they are needed in a shot.

Second tip - have a tame female assistant to help arrange the brides costume - eg gown positioning etc and to also arrange the people in the group - also agree with the assistant what the arrangements are to be.

In preference I would use a Lumiquest bounce reflector on the FL50 to get an overall smoothish light with soft shadows. Outside and at a distance you may have to remove the bounce as it does soak up light - you lose about 2.5 stops.

Also check out EB's flash tips Fourthirdsphoto web site - be ready to break his rules after checking the histogram and increasing the flash power if needed.

Another gimmick that went down well at a couple of weddings is to take a laptop and photo printer and print out an A4 photo of the couple - use double side tape to stick it to a suitable mount and then get the youngsters at the wedding to go round the guests to get them sign the mount around the picture. If you are not the principle photographer this can really frustrate the main guy as he/she is so busy they cannot do this. <g>

You can always do a super print after working on the image and stick it on the mount after the event but the impact of the print going round the reception is quite good.
Old 16th February 2008
scanny

Hi Guys

Thanks for the wealth of informtion and tips its invaluable. Its a family wedding (uncle's) at airth castle in stirlingshire so the setting will de spectacular.So im getting the keep it simple approach as ill have enough to do trying to gather the various groups of the family, there are 80 guests, i dread to think how much its costing! They will have a pro their to do the official ones but i doubt they will get each of the family groups together or the extended family together with partners during the day. I like the A4 print and have the mount signed by all the guest its a great idea and nice momento, it would be easy enough to do as i will be staying their for the weekend of it so will have a room to lug all the kit to and use.
Old 16th February 2008

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts

Another thought - if the event is to extend into the evening with a party - and you have access to a digital projector and there is room to do it at the venue running a continuous projected slide show of the days events adds a bit to the occasion especially if you have got lots of pictures of the guests - the projected quality will be downgraded by the light in the room so as long as your pictures are OK ish you can get away with it without doing too much of a sanity check of the images - just delete the real bad ones.
Old 16th February 2008

Liked 106 Times in 54 Posts

Being the main (official) photographer holds huge responsibilities, not sure I could do it or want to do it.

Being a secondary photographer can best because you can go for the candid shots, leaving the formal ones to the official photographer. Catching the bride, groom and the guests when they aren't expecting it can produce the most memorable shots.

Have fun

Steve

Last edited by Wreckdiver; 16th February 2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 16th February 2008
Administrator

Liked 504 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanny View Post
Hi Guys

Thanks for the wealth of informtion and tips its invaluable. Its a family wedding (uncle's) at airth castle in stirlingshire so the setting will de spectacular.So im getting the keep it simple approach as ill have enough to do trying to gather the various groups of the family, there are 80 guests, i dread to think how much its costing! They will have a pro their to do the official ones but i doubt they will get each of the family groups together or the extended family together with partners during the day. I like the A4 print and have the mount signed by all the guest its a great idea and nice momento, it would be easy enough to do as i will be staying their for the weekend of it so will have a room to lug all the kit to and use.
As they have a Pro booked then I agree with the posts that say
Quote:
keep it simple

In the main put all the big kit away - no tripod - single or no flash and stay out of the Pro's way - he's on a clock and will not be impressed by people getting in his way.

The best advice I had from a Pro friend was that if you look at most of the P&S shooters they will be taking wide views of a number of people and that tends to miss any expression on people's faces. At my Sister in Law's wedding I took just the one camera with a long lens and focused on closeups from far away. This got some great candid moments.

If you can get a moment to talk to the pro then find our where he's setting up and find a good angle on the formal groups. There is no point in standing next to him - you'll copy his shots, but you can pick up some cracking shots at about 45 degrees to the formal group shots like one I got picking up the Bride and 2 grown up bridesmaids in a gentle profile against an unfussy background. If you do manage to "chat him up he may even hold the poses of the groups for you with a "wink and a nod", but if he's prickly then like I said stay out of his way.

I agree re the point re picking up other family groups - these can be both fun and useful (see slide show idea below).

I agree with the posts re being able to deliver something rapidly. Someone did an A3 composite for us when we got married by Breakfast time the next morning and it was as everyone says great fun to laugh at us all in our finest.

Another idea was what we did for the sister in law which was using a slide show programme (slide show to go in this case) we had a simple show set to their favourite music by breakfast - It had helped in this case that I'd had their CD of tracks in my hand ad ripped them to MP3 the day before !

Overall - have fun with it - its a family do and you can add a lot, but don't let it take over in trying to get the perfect shot - that's what someone else if getting paid for.

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 16th February 2008
Administrator

Liked 504 Times in 278 Posts

Oh and I forgot - if you're planning any form of slideshow or collage then pop round early on and get shots of the cake, Flowers and any thing else you can catch as these are great Fill Ins

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/

Last edited by shenstone; 16th February 2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 16th February 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanny View Post
Hi Guys

Hi Scanny,

Didn't realise they were hiring a pro as well as yourself. In that case it might pay to liase with the pro in advance so that he understands what your role is and you can ensure you don't get in his way. It'll certainly go smoother if there's no overlap and you each have an understanding of the other's brief. Unless he has an assistant, he may even appreciate your help in co-ordinating the arrangement of groups as it is a large party at a big location, and you might gain some helpful advice along the way!

Hope all goes well, and do let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Zuiko
Old 17th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, as you are shooting for a family member, it would be a nice idea to produce one of those photobooks you can get from photobox after the weeding. I have done this before and they just love it! It also makes for a great wedding gift!

Regards

Frank