Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 8th December 2007
E-P1 fan

Re: Sharpness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapula Memory View Post
I would try some comparison shots with and without the filters. ( are they UV protection filters?) I prefer to use UV filters for protection but would spend a bit extra on decent ones.
I must try that seriously

Quote:
Don`t under estimate the value of the kit lens. The 14-45 and 14-42 are pretty capable performers, as is the 40-150 which I used for this pic. The only difference in my setting recommendation is CS2 level 2.

The E1 will deliver but you do need to tease the pictures out of it at times. Just a demo pic really the crop looks even better with some PP.
I'd be very pleased with results as good as that one
Old 8th December 2007

Liked 1,006 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Just looked at your street pics and they all look a little soft to me. I had this very same problem when I got my E1 and was using it with the 14-45 kit lens. I now shoot jpeg and RAW (using 14-54) which is available as in cam setting which is a great help for making comparisons. I have to say though many of my ruined pics were down to camera shake as I came from a KM A200 that had IS!

If you have ruled out camera shake then shooting jpeg with some settings changed may help. I often go with this, and get sharp pics with good colour rendition. Might work for you!

Saturation CS3
Contrast +1
Sharpening +1
sRGB setting
Noise filter and NR OFF
Shading comp OFF

Ensure compression set to 1/2.7 and pixel count 1600x1200

regards

John.
Well I agree with setting the copression at 1/2.7 but not the pixel count at 1600x1200.At this setting you are only shoting at 2 m pixels,I up this to the maximum to give full resolution.

All the best

Andy
Old 9th December 2007
E-P1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Well I agree with setting the copression at 1/2.7 but not the pixel count at 1600x1200.At this setting you are only shoting at 2 m pixels,I up this to the maximum to give full resolution.Andy

I've found the compression setting - but 1600 X 1200 seems to be the maximum setting?

I was on SHQ and now tried HQ?

btw I appreciate everyone's patience
Old 9th December 2007
Scapula Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-1 fan View Post
I've found the compression setting - but 1600 X 1200 seems to be the maximum setting?

I was on SHQ and now tried HQ?

btw I appreciate everyone's patience
Some confusion here, 1600 x 1200 is the maximum for SQ mode. In SHQ mode which cannot be altered the default setting is 2560 x 1920, (3.8MB ) for some reason I thought you were using SQ mode! If you have a decent sized memory card consider SHQ & RAW, that way you can customize jpegs in cam and fall back on the RAW pic if need be.

John
Old 9th December 2007
E-P1 fan

With SHQ set on the top menu - I wonder why only SQ comes up on the main back window menu?

Is that because, as you said, SHQ is a set value, so no value I might change on the rear menu will affect the SHQ setting - which, as a set value, will always be 2560 x 1920?
Old 9th December 2007

Liked 1,006 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
With SHQ set on the top menu - I wonder why only SQ comes up on the main back window menu?

Is that because, as you said, SHQ is a set value, so no value I might change on the rear menu will affect the SHQ setting - which, as a set value, will always be 2560 x 1920?
Thats right

All the best

Andy
Old 10th December 2007
E-P1 fan

Ok folks - here's a little trial with the 40/150 without the UV filter - using a small tripod. Opinions on sharpness?
Old 10th December 2007
Scapula Memory

That`s a vast improvement ! Unless your UV filter is completely cattled then I would suspect the improvement is down to that tripod. Did you try one with UV and tripod?

I was out today with the E1, posted some pics up in the Foto fair and used a tripod for all of them, an essential tool especially using the bigger lens.

regards

John
Old 10th December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats better but personally I'd be tempted to sharpen it a bit more.

Your icecream van looks like it would sharpen up really well by applying USM. I'd be intersted to see how it would look if you resized the original to 800x600 @72dpi and applied USM at 150%, Radius 0.7, Threshold 1.
Old 10th December 2007
E-P1 fan

Happy to try that Richard - but I've only got PSP (Mr Cheapo rules again ) so all I have in USM is: Radius - Strength : and Clipping.
Old 11th December 2007

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Please remember - sharpness at any stage of post processing is a way of removing image detail, what it does is apply a greater gradient of colour/luminosity change overwriting what is actually in the image. Sharpness as applied in post processing is a pleasing illusion (rather like a good speech by a skilled politician).

If the original image is not sharp then nothing you do in post processing will get you the 'sharp' image 'you could have taken'.

Two cheap ways of getting better sharpness are

1) Having regular eye tests (everyones eyes change over the years)

2) If you want to do post processing then use the GIMP - it's free and does everything adobe does
Old 11th December 2007
E-P1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Please remember - sharpness at any stage of post processing is a way of removing image detail, what it does is apply a greater gradient of colour/luminosity change overwriting what is actually in the image. Sharpness as applied in post processing is a pleasing illusion (rather like a good speech by a skilled politician).

If the original image is not sharp then nothing you do in post processing will get you the 'sharp' image 'you could have taken'.

Two cheap ways of getting better sharpness are

1) Having regular eye tests (everyones eyes change over the years)

2) If you want to do post processing then use the GIMP - it's free and does everything adobe does
Yep I do number one.

I looked at GIMP but it seems a bit over complicated - needing compiling etc. PSP seems to do much the same thing and I've got Oly Master I suppose though I rarely if ever use it.

Thinking it through I reckon it's a combination of - my eyesight deteriorating slightly, my refusual to buy really good lenses, not using a tripod enough, the heavyish nature of the E-1 itself and the angle of the shutter release which 'may' engender a bit of shake.

I love the E-1 and it does feel great in my hand but I would like sharper images too. Maybe I need an E-410?

But whatever - I've got an E-1 and I need to get that working the way I want.
I don't go for 'throw money at it' solutions so need a more fundemental solution.

It is odd though that after a lifetime of using slrs that I should have any sharpness issues at all!
Old 11th December 2007

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Yep I do number one.

I looked at GIMP but it seems a bit over complicated - needing compiling etc. <snipped> :
If you goto www.gimp.org, the download option will give you a compiled version, it installs exactly like any windows application.

Personally I don't think it is any more complicated than CS3.
Old 16th December 2007
Crouchy

As a previous owner of an E1 sharpness was a problem. I shoot RAW all the time and after a long shooting found that it was down to what aperture you use and some post processing in Lightroom. Digital lenses suffer defraction over a certain F stop e.g they soften, so never use small F stops e.g F11 or F16, usually about F5.6 or under are O.K. In post processing Lightroom has a Clarity slider adding a mid-tone contrast this helps well with E1 raw files plus the sharpening, which is 'capture' sharpening. If you have'nt Lightroom use unsharp mask at 20,50,0 on a duplicate layer and adjust the opacity to suite. This makes the image pop but use wisely as portraits do not need as much clarity if at all.
Hope that helps if not save for an E3! the files are great!
Cheers
Andy.
Oh yes CS3 has a clarity slider in Camera Raw which is the same raw converter as Lightroom. Bye!
Old 16th December 2007
E-P1 fan

Thanks Andy - some useful advice there. I might be getting CS3 so will certainly try your solution.