Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 1st August 2018

Liked 64 Times in 19 Posts
m42 lenses plus nikkor lens

just been gifted a few m42 thread lenses in A.1 condition plus a 50mm nikkor f1.2 m/f is it worth while getting adaptors for these .
Old 1st August 2018

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Re: m42 lenses plus nikkor lens

I wish somebody would give me an f1.2 Nikkor! Likely to be worth £100 to £200

Are you sure it's an f1.2 lens and not 1:2 aperture ratio lens ie f2.

Without knowing the details of the M42 lens its hard to say if they are worth adapting or not.

Mark
Old 1st August 2018

sorry my bad its actually a nikkor 50mm f1.4 . the m42 lenses are a mint 35mm f2.8 super-travenor and a like new helios-44m 2/58 and a obscure 135mm Russian brand one that has a bit of dust
Old 1st August 2018

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Well, a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 is still a nice gift. Depending on version and condition, it is likely to still be worth £60 to £100. I would say it is worth getting an adapter for it to try. You might find it a touch soft wide open compared with a modern lens, but this can be exploited. The older it is, the less sharp it will be wide open due to under-corrected spherical aberration and the lower the contrast due to more basic coatings. There is lot of production time for Nikkor SLR lens (Nikon F mount) so what you will get will depend on the exact lens version you have.

The Helios 44M is a Soviet lens based on the old Zeiss Biotar design. This is also a nice lens. I found it just a tiny bit soft at f2 but it makes a nice portrait lens with nice bokeh. It is not valuable as they are so common. Check the iris and focus are still ok as Soviet grease is notorious for getting onto iris blades (glueing them in one position) whilst drying in the focus helicoid and making them stiff to focus.

I have no knowledge of the Super-Travenar 35mm f2.8.

135mm lenses were very common for 35mm film. They can be optically quite simple, and hence cheap, so most kits would have a 135mm f3.5 or 135mm f2.8. It might be good or might not be. Usually, they all perform OK as the optical formula was so well established. I found the 135mm lenses of limited use on 4/3 format as the equivalent focal length (270mm) is too long for most applications (eg portraits) whilst these period lenses usually do not focus very close so they can't be used for flowers and the like.

Mark
Old 1st August 2018

cheers ,I have already checked out the iris blades on all the lenses , and they work fine and crisply ,the focussing rings are all nice and smooth to ,,there were a couple of other lenses that I have rejected due to condition and a zenith E camera that appears to be working but has a dirty line in the viewfinder in the middle ,probably e.bay them spares or repairs . will get the adaptors when time and funds permit sounds worth a play . . thanks for the reply
Old 2nd August 2018

Liked 1,038 Times in 582 Posts

The Helios 44M is one of the lenses most often recommended for producing ďswirly bokehĒ by those who like that sort of thing. It is the sort of effect thatís obsessed over in obscure Japanese Internet forums, but it can be fun for some applications - google it. Some people just think itís a nasty optical aberration, of course, but there are probably some good examples from the 44M in this FB group I dip in to occasionally:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1510439042504312

The 44M I believe has an 8-bladed aperture, which is said to give a generally nicer effect than some of the other iterations which had 6 blades.

Itís definitely saleable for this reason if no other, BTW.

Should you decide to sell it do drop me a PM: Iíve never tried one of these but Iíd be interested to have a play some time.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
The Following User Liked This Post:
blackfox (2nd August 2018)
Old 2nd August 2018

cheers mark ,I have actually had one of these before ,but tried it on full frame canon DSLR with not very good results , the condition was nowhere as good as this one either which is totally mint . I have just ordered a k&m adaptor via the bay of E . and will give it a try on arrival . I also have a few more m42 lenses to try as well from the same donor in various states of cleanliness .
I do have a lens repair device but not sure if the effort is worth it TBH I will let you know if I decide to keep or move on ,funds permitting for the adaptor I'm really more interested in trying out the 50mm f1.4 nikkor lens . thats one impressive bit of glass
Old 2nd August 2018

Liked 1,038 Times in 582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
cheers mark ,I have actually had one of these before ,but tried it on full frame canon DSLR with not very good results , the condition was nowhere as good as this one either which is totally mint . I have just ordered a k&m adaptor via the bay of E . and will give it a try on arrival . I also have a few more m42 lenses to try as well from the same donor in various states of cleanliness .
I do have a lens repair device but not sure if the effort is worth it TBH I will let you know if I decide to keep or move on ,funds permitting for the adaptor I'm really more interested in trying out the 50mm f1.4 nikkor lens . thats one impressive bit of glass
Yes, that does sound like a good bet.

Iíve got a few classic lenses, but I got rid of some others. They have to pull their weight. Mostly the performance is pretty disappointing, but some do offer something unique.

Ones Iíve kept include a few OM Zuikos from my past and some nice ones Iíve picked up over the years, a Leitz 135mm of my fatherís, a Contax-Zeiss 90mm f2.8 T* which is a cracker, and a Rokkor 58mm f1.2 which gives lovely dreamy images and is a treat to handle.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.