Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 30th December 2018

Liked 1,985 Times in 1,324 Posts
Re: Weirdest SALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Park Cameras have the V800 for a tad more at 449, with free delivery. That's new, not second hand, but as you intimated the later Epson neg holders aren't up to much, so the all-up cost would go up if you were to add the Betterscan holders.
I didn't know about those so thank you again.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 30th December 2018

Liked 679 Times in 460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Thanks for those. I will have a look.

I have used Ffordes many times before and trust them. I will give them a call in the morning.

I see the V750 comes with a 6x6 negative holder but I'm not sure if that is a mistake and that it will also take 645 and 6x7.
The V750 as supplied came with a holder for film strips of 120 width. There is a setting buried somewhere (in the wrong place, of course) in the Epson driver that let you tell it whether the negs are 6 x 4.5, 6 x 6, 6 x 7, 6 x 8 or 6 x 9. I don't know why it doesn't auto-detect frame boundaries, it seems to quite happily for 35mm.

I will trawl my old notes for more info on getting Nikon Scan to work on 64-bit up-to-date Windows.

John
Old 30th December 2018

Quote:
Park Cameras have the V800 for a tad more at 449, with free delivery. That's new, not second hand, but as you intimated the later Epson neg holders aren't up to much, so the all-up cost would go up if you were to add the Betterscan holders.
Actually the 379 price tag on the [used] V750 shows that these machines are still held in very high regard.

I wonder whether the v750's film holders would work with the V800?

I see Ffordes are also selling a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 for 449, which is not too far short of what they cost new IIRC. There cannot be many digital devices that maintain their value as well as that.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 30th December 2018

Just out of curiosity I did a trawl for used Coolscan V and found some on eBay for around 500 - which is about what I paid for mine new 20+ years ago.

I've just done some Googling for getting them to work and found this link in a Windows 7 forum, which I think reflects what I did:

https://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/...rk-w7-x64.html

There are two major steps. The first is that you need the driver, which presumably you already have. I think the latest level is 4.0.3. You also need a file called scanners.inf, I'm not a Windows expert but I think this is just to tell the system that it is a scanner. Once you have done this and followed the instruction you are most of the way there. You only need to do this once.

Secondly, you have to persuade Windows to accept the driver, because it has not been "signed". This is a bit of a pain and you have to do it for every major Windows upgrade, but it is not difficult (or too scary).

I hope this helps a bit. I was a bit apprehensive going to Win 10 but as far as I can remember it all worked out nicely and pretty easily.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (30th December 2018)
Old 30th December 2018

Liked 1,728 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Actually the 379 price tag on the [used] V750 shows that these machines are still held in very high regard.

I wonder whether the v750's film holders would work with the V800?

I see Ffordes are also selling a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 for 449, which is not too far short of what they cost new IIRC. There cannot be many digital devices that maintain their value as well as that.
V700/V750 and V800/V850 have minor changes as far as I'm aware, such as cold cathode v LED. The 8xx's have twin lens but I'm not sure about the 7xx series. Many are happily using the 7xx film holders on the newer version, and are always in demand.

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
Old 30th December 2018

Quote:
V700/V750 and V800/V850 have minor changes as far as I'm aware, such as cold cathode v LED. The 8xx's have twin lens but I'm not sure about the 7xx series. Many are happily using the 7xx film holders on the newer version, and are always in demand.
That was what I was thinking.

I have a very basic Epson flatbed (V350) that cost about 70 IIRC. It is fine for scanning the odd document but will only scan 35 mm film, and not very well at that. It has been making some horrible noises lately so an update to the V750 would be ideal.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 30th December 2018

Due to the light source the 7xx series have a longer warm up time.

I'm rather keen to get into Holga 120, and maybe instant film, so a flatbed scanner would be ideal for me. I'm currently using a Plustek 8200i with silverfast Ai and for my 35mm work. Does the job quite well, but it's a bit slow. I've tried using a digital camera to take pictures of the negatives, but the results take on a digital appearance and that rather defeats the purpose of using film.

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
Old 30th December 2018

Quote:
Due to the light source the 7xx series have a longer warm up time.
The V750 uses a 'Cold cathode fluorescence lamp' (with mercury vapour) so it is a bit slow warming up. My old V350 is the same. The newer scanners use LED's so they are instant.

However, I am not entirely convinced that LED's provide a better light source (in terms of colour rendition) as they do not provide as broad or smooth a spectrum of light as cold cathode lamps.

LED's also tend to exacerbate grain in films far beyond what you can see through a Loupe. This is something I have noticed in my Nikon scanner. There is (or was) a company that made diffusers for LED film scanners for exactly this reason, but I don't think they ever got around to making one of the Nikon 8000 or 9000.

Interestingly, the Minolta MF scanner of the same era (I forget the model number) used a cold cathode lamp as was reckoned to be a better machine for it, even though resolution was lower.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (30th December 2018)
Old 30th December 2018

Is life another consideration, Cold Cathode cf LED?

Personally I love to see grain in analogue; I push film and my next trick is to select an appropriate developer to enhance the graininess.

This also reminds me that I should get my Pen F back into action, possibly with a roll of TMax 3200 or Delta 3200.

on flickr
Old 30th December 2018

Liked 732 Times in 472 Posts

Search for “installing unsigned drivers”, there should be plenty of results. You have to dive into bowels of Windows but it’s not difficult. I’m away until Thursday but if you’ve not managed it I can find what I did to get my LS-40 working with Nikon Scan then.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 30th December 2018

Quote:
Is life another consideration, Cold Cathode cf LED?

Personally I love to see grain in analogue; I push film and my next trick is to select an appropriate developer to enhance the graininess.

This also reminds me that I should get my Pen F back into action, possibly with a roll of TMax 3200 or Delta 3200.
Steve, the 'grain' created by LED scanners is nothing like film grain, but is a sharper, more crystalline effect; almost as if individual grains of silver are sparkling in the light. It is not pleasant to look at, and is not corrected by gran reducing algorithms in scanning software. It doesn't affect all films by any means, or even entire exposures, (expanses of plain blue sky in colour negative films seem to be most prone), but those films that are affected are spoiled even at low resolution or when reproduced in small sizes.

In answer to your question about 'enhancing' grain in B&W films; the usual trick is to develop the film in a paper developer such as Bromophen. HP5 exposed at 1,600 or 3,200 ASA and developed in Bromophen will produce grain like golf balls with very hard contrast.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (30th December 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
shotokan101 (30th December 2018)
Old 30th December 2018

Thanks Nigel, I wasn’t aware of the interactions wrt led emissions. I can see further wiki reading heading my way.

Another fun part of film photography is the souping, lots of permutations to discover.

on flickr
Old 31st December 2018

Well, the good news is that I ordered the V750 from Ffordes, and it should arrive before the end of the week.

The bad news is that the original software disk is missing. I can download the Epson software from 'tinternet, but the (highly rated) Silverfast software came on a CD or DVD with a serial number.

Let's see how we get on with the Epson software to begin with.

Apparently Silverfast will provide a download and a new serial number for users who don't have a CD drive, so I might appeal to their generosity.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 31st December 2018

Well done!

I think I tried Silverfast when I first got the V750, and didn't like it. Probably more down to the interface than anything functional, but I find that the standard Epson Scan utility does everything I want in "Professional" mode.

There is also a utility called Epson Copy which makes it work like a photocopier, which I have found more useful than expected. I never bothered with the other bits of bundled software.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (31st December 2018)
Old 31st December 2018

Thanks John,
I have used the Epson software on the old V350, and it seems competent enough.

I will certainly give it a good try.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing