Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus' OM-D model aimed squarely at professional photographers

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Re: New Olympus OMD - EM1X ?

Very impressive Ian. I've been very tempted by both the Huawei P20 Pro and Mate 20 Pro, and a friend takes great shots with his P20 Pro. I'd prefer the ultrawide on the Mate 20 Pro, but hate curved screens and the way they vignette the edges of the screen. I like the 1440 pixel width on the latter. The P20 Pro is only 1080 width annoyingly, and I find with many OLED screens at 1080 width, the black type on white can look fringed. Used to my old HTC 10 with 1440 width on a 5.2" LCD screen, which is ultra sharp. Crap camera unfortunately! Which do you prefer of the two Huaweis?

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,250 Times in 620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
To a point, I'd agree, but the quality I can get from the Huawei P20 Pro and Mate 20 Pro is seriously impressive. I'd say it requires more post-processing and of course a 'real' system camera handles better and has more latitude, but given the right circumstances, I can get very impressive results with these phones.

Here is an example (shot from RAW and post-processed in Lightroom):

Ian
Thanks for posting a sample image.
I see that it connects to Lightroom, what is the RAW format that the P20 pro uses. I also am tempted to upgrade from my ancient Galaxy S3 mini which I never use for pics.

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,189 Posts
Liked 1,507 Times in 684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Thanks for posting a sample image.
I see that it connects to Lightroom, what is the RAW format that the P20 pro uses. I also am tempted to upgrade from my ancient Galaxy S3 mini which I never use for pics.
It uses DNG RAW. The files do need a lot of work as there isn't a lot of model-specific optimisation by default.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (4 Weeks Ago), wornish (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
Very impressive Ian. I've been very tempted by both the Huawei P20 Pro and Mate 20 Pro, and a friend takes great shots with his P20 Pro. I'd prefer the ultrawide on the Mate 20 Pro, but hate curved screens and the way they vignette the edges of the screen. I like the 1440 pixel width on the latter. The P20 Pro is only 1080 width annoyingly, and I find with many OLED screens at 1080 width, the black type on white can look fringed. Used to my old HTC 10 with 1440 width on a 5.2" LCD screen, which is ultra sharp. Crap camera unfortunately! Which do you prefer of the two Huaweis?
A lot of people like the mono camera and there is some suggestion that the mono camera helps the main camera in AI mode to do the fake DOF effect better (in itself a very impressive feature). Personally, I am with you and am happy to swap the mono camera for the very wide angle lens in the Mate 20 Pro. I never saw a problem with the P20 Pro display. I also have no issue with the Mate 20 Pro curved edge display, but then I don't use a screen protector. So, yes, I prefer the Mate 20 Pro.

Ian

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
A lot of people like the mono camera and there is some suggestion that the mono camera helps the main camera in AI mode to do the fake DOF effect better (in itself a very impressive feature). Personally, I am with you and am happy to swap the mono camera for the very wide angle lens in the Mate 20 Pro. I never saw a problem with the P20 Pro display. I also have no issue with the Mate 20 Pro curved edge display, but then I don't use a screen protector. So, yes, I prefer the Mate 20 Pro.

Ian
Thanks, been trying to hold off, but may well plump soon. I was tempted to wait for the next models, but suspect some of them will have stupid hole punch screen cutouts for the front camera. At least you can largely hide the notch on the current Huaweis, unlike the chuffing huge one on the Pixel 3 XL! Anyway, we are wandering a bit as you say.

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,725 Times in 1,038 Posts

Mobile phones have advanced so much such that if I was making a choice today, I'd probably be tempted to get one instead of what we consider to be a 'proper' camera. The difference: the phone camera is always with us, the 'proper' camera only comes out when invited.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Mobile phones have advanced so much such that if I was making a choice today, I'd probably be tempted to get one instead of what we consider to be a 'proper' camera. The difference: the phone camera is always with us, the 'proper' camera only comes out when invited.
There are so many things now that a phone can do as a camera but there are also so many things that you can't do with a phone as a camera

Basically, phones have replaced all but the most sophisticated compact cameras.

Ian

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,155 Times in 867 Posts
Liked 5,516 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
It's the ergonomics of a phone that make it almost unusable as a serious camera though.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,155 Times in 867 Posts
Liked 5,516 Times in 1,770 Posts

Lots of details here:

https://photorumors.com/2019/01/18/m...ations-prices/

And all you need to know: Olympus E-M1X body 365,040 / 2,799

I'm out on size, and out on price - even though it's got hand-held hi-res and a built-in ND filter. Other specs sound similar to the E-M1ii, incl the sensor. AF looks new though and IBIS improved again (I guess for the hand-held hi-res).

Quote:
The Olympus E-M1X is toughest, fastest and smartest OM-D yet, featuring the world's best image stabilization and stand out new capabilities including 50mp Hi-Res Shot handheld. The new built-in vertical grip houses two batteries for extended use and a deep finger rest for both horizontal and vertical positions gives a more comfortable grip. New twin processors take high-speed performance to another level for both image processing and a re-developed intelligent autofocus system. The magnesium alloy body is fully IPX1 weather resistance tested.

Weight 997g
Body (WxHxD) 144.4 x 146.8 x 75.4mm
Effective Resolution 20.4 megapixels
Continuous Shooting Speed 18 fps
50 MP Handheld High Res shot functionality. Building on the HiRes innovation on the E-M1 MK II where a tripod was required, the E-M1X can now take a 50mp HiRes shot handheld. Using a tripod it can now produce 80mp images.
World's best Image stabilization: In combination with a M.Zuiko IS PRO lens, this technology enables the 5-axis sync IS to compensate for approx. 7.5 shutter speed steps.
Totally new AF system with various AF target modes and settings and intelligent subject tracking.
With locked AF, the E-M1X features high-speed sequential shooting at a maximum of 60 fps to capture split-second moments that the human eye cannot see. With AF/AE tracking, a maximum of 18 fps may be reached.
Key OM-D Movie video capabilities: 4K and C4K, OM-Log400, Different levels of IS, 120 fps high-speed shooting in Full HD
Anti-flicker shooting capabilities
Integrated field sensors to add detailed metadata to pictures and video
Live ND feature for slow shutter effects without an external filter.
Dust, splash, & freezeproof. Weatherproofing maintained even when connecting microphone, earphone or remote control cable
Integrated field sensors to add detailed metadata to pictures and video
Two UHS-II SD card slots for high-speed responsiveness
Two batteries in innovative cartridge system and USB charging capabilities
The sensor dust reduction system now features an improved Super Sonic Wave Filter (SSWF) with a special coating which vibrates 30,000 times per second further reducing the possibility of dust or dirt ruining photos and equipment by factor 10
Capture up to 2,580 images before having to recharge. Featuring USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) from up to 100 W power sources, both batteries in the camera body can be fully charged in approximately two hours
A new Wi-Fi capture allows tethered shooting without a cable and makes it possible to transfer images wirelessly to a computer with the Olympus
Prices:
Olympus E-M1X body 365,040 / 2,799
Olympus FL-700WR: 38,880
Olympus Flash Commander FC-WR: 34,560
Olympus Flash Receiver FR-WR: 23,760

Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Internaut (4 Weeks Ago), Ross the fiddler (4 Weeks Ago)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (4 Weeks Ago), Bengeo (4 Weeks Ago), Internaut (4 Weeks Ago), OM USer (4 Weeks Ago), wornish (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,540 Times in 1,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Lots of details here:

https://photorumors.com/2019/01/18/m...ations-prices/

And all you need to know:

Olympus E-M1X body 365,040 / 2,799

I'm out on size, and out on price - even though it's got hand-held hi-res and a built-in ND filter. Other specs sound similar to the E-M1ii, incl the sensor. AF looks new though and IBIS improved again (I guess for the hand-held hi-res).
The increased IS capability sounds so good...………..

Cost is not good for us amatuers. And I still don't like the hand grip...…….

But I hope the Pro photographers will go for it..

I wish Olympus well

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 168 Times in 37 Posts

All looks good to me, as long as CAF is top notch I think i will be getting one

Now what about the New tele .

Rob.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 450 Times in 163 Posts

Thanks for that Paul. Definitely heavier than I was hoping for. No mention of any other multishot modes to decrease noise etc.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,370 Times in 1,302 Posts
Liked 1,172 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
Who do we think we are all kidding when we say 'No,no,no... it's not for me..it's too expensive...it's too big, it's too heavy, it's too this, it's too that, it's against the M4/3 ethos, etc, etc....C'mon lads fess-up....you'd all love one as well... if you are honest.
No I wouldn't. If I did then I would have had an E-M1i or E-M1ii by now. I don't like the grip on the E-M1 so why on earth would I like the grip on the E-M1X? A camera is not a tool to me - its something for me to enjoy as part of my hobby and that enjoyment includes carting it around and holding it comfortably.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,725 Times in 1,038 Posts

I had to rub my eyes, and then some more. Are they sane marketing a M4/3 camera weighing just short of 1kg? And that's without a lens, presumably. Staggering!

on flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 450 Times in 163 Posts

Quote:
Are they sane marketing a M4/3 camera weighing just short of 1kg? And that's without a lens, presumably. Staggering!
Hopefully that includes 2 batteries, which would make the body only weight about 850g. If used with the 15mm body cap lens it won't be too heavy!