Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-400

Olympus E-400 E-400 specific discussion.

Old 1st February 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Light Meter issues

Hi,

I've just bagged myself a bargain from Fleabay - an E400 with a damaged, but usable 14-42mm lens, sold as spares or repair for 30 + postage.

5991 shutter actuations, manufactured in 2010, from the data.

However, it was sold as a non working item, as in auto, it over exposes. In manual, using one of my good lenses, it still over exposes, by around one and a half stops. (so a good image is taken with it saying you are -2.0)

I can work with this, as bought it really for spares for the old E400 I have, but has anyone ever tried to fix this themselves? My other half is an electronics engineer, and has the potential to strip it down.

Turbogirlie (aka Kaz)

E-400
E-3
Scirocco MkII GTX
Kawasaki GPz550
Living on the Herefordshire/Shropshire/Welsh Borders & feeling very lucky to have such fantastic countryside on the doorstep!
Old 1st February 2015

Liked 1,728 Times in 1,040 Posts
Re: Light Meter issues

I once stripped down a VHS video recorder - those old fashioned magnetic tape thingies - and on putting it back together I had enough parts over to make another.

on flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (2nd February 2015), Ross the fiddler (2nd February 2015)
Old 2nd February 2015

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Kaz!

I don't suppose that the gradation is set to "hi key" by any chance? I'll have a look at my e-410 in a bit, I haven't got it to hand but I am fairly sure it has that setting.

Another possibility is that the pin that drives the aperture isn't making when you take the photo - you could test it by setting a long exposure with a small aperture (say f16) and looking into the lens to see if the aperture stops down and opens again.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 2nd February 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cheers Ralph - I'll give it another test run tomorrow, with my 14-42mm lens on, which is working perfectly on my other Oly kit - great suggestion. Ran it through some tests today lunchtime - it's not a huge problem so it is use-able!

Turbogirlie (aka Kaz)

E-400
E-3
Scirocco MkII GTX
Kawasaki GPz550
Living on the Herefordshire/Shropshire/Welsh Borders & feeling very lucky to have such fantastic countryside on the doorstep!
Old 2nd February 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

PS - I've set all the settings to be identical to my original E400.

Turbogirlie (aka Kaz)

E-400
E-3
Scirocco MkII GTX
Kawasaki GPz550
Old 2nd February 2015

Hi again Kaz!

If you do find that the lens isn't stopping down, it might be worth cleaning the pins in the camera which connect to the lens - get some contact cleaner from your other half, spray the pins (or maybe better to spray onto a cloth and dab on) and then gently push them in and let them spring out a few times to let the contact cleaner get inside.

If all else fails I have a post in the E-420 section where I strip down an E-420 to change the hot mirror in front of the sensor - it may be helpful if your other half wants to have a look before pulling the camera apart.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Update 04.02.15.

It's definitely the camera, not the lens, as I've put my original 14-42mm lens on & there's no difference. Today I put the Lensbaby Composer on, so there's no aperture to change in this. With the Composer, you increase or decrease the shutter speed to help compensate for the correct exposure. Looking towards a brightly lit scene today, I had to put the shutter speed up to 1/4000th & it was still over exposed. The inbuilt light meter still showed a value of -5.00, indicating underexposure.

Thanks for the suggestion Ralph, I'll have a look at the thread you posted about stripping down the E420.

Turbogirlie (aka Kaz)

E-400
E-3
Scirocco MkII GTX
Kawasaki GPz550
Old 5th February 2015

Hi there Kaz!

Did you have an aperture ring in the composer or was it at f2 - because that overexposure could be possible even at 1/4000th in really bright sunlight - especially if not at a low ISO. Another thought is that there might be an issue with the sensor for the metering. I could be wrong but isn't it under the mirror, with a small secondary mirror diverting some of the light down to it through the semi-transparent main mirror. If there is a piece of debris in the area of this sensor it could be blocking some (or the majority) of the light - causing the over exposure.

The other possibility is that the shutter is slow - leaving a larger gap between the blades than it should at speeds faster than 1/125th (I think). This would again lead to overexposure. It would be interesting to see how the metering compares between your two cameras in a controlled (and quite dark) situation - shooting at a test card indoors at low ISO to give a slow shutter speed (maybe 1/6th of a second) and seeing what the faulty camera say's the speed should be. If it works better in the darker conditions than the bright light it maybe that the shutter is slow.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 5th February 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the reply - no aperture ring used, so working at F2 - the old E400 copes with that extremely well so there is something amiss with the new one.

Thanks for the indication as to where the light meter sensor is - will ask my better half to have a look & see if there is any debris.

The camera seems to respond better in dark situations, it's when there's too much light that it struggles, so am not sure how well the test in the controlled situation would work.

The shutter could be faulty as well - I think it's been dropped due to the damage to the lens that came with it and that the XD card slot won't hold an XD card - it doesn't click into place. That really doesn't bother me as it's very slow writing to the XD card.

The link below will take you to some of the photos I've taken with it, but I omitted to put the camera data on each one.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8225177&type=1

Will let you know what Fil finds...

Turbogirlie (aka Kaz)

E-400
E-3
Scirocco MkII GTX
Kawasaki GPz550