Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-400

Olympus E-400 E-400 specific discussion.

Old 4th May 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E400

Hi everyone

new member to this site. I have an Oly E400 which I had put away and was not using. However, in the past few weeks I dug it out again to use for a college project and fell back in love with it (absence and the heart lol) and it made me remember that yes this camera although with limitations did give me good images. I have since upgraded to a Canon 5D Mark II.

But I still love my Oly and another passion of mine are long exposures.

Was trying to shoot today with a ten stopper. The day was overcast and I would have been better off with a ND filter - am going to order one online this week.

But today when I was shooting of course when pressing the shutter it wouldn't work and of course if I were using my Canon I could switch the lens from AF to Manual Focus which I can't really do with Oly. Is there anyway I can over come this or do I have to accept the limitations of this little beast?

This is an image I was working on today

I know its not sharp and noisy and I accept I should have zoomed in on the subject more and will go back and try and do it again.
Old 11th October 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: E400

Oh wow I can't believe that I posted this image almost two years ago now.
Old 11th October 2013

Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,179 Posts
Liked 1,846 Times in 920 Posts

Welcome back, looks like you didn't get an answer to your post then, sorry the forum wasn't as busy then as it is now. What brings you back here?
Old 11th October 2013

Liked 81 Times in 29 Posts

I quite like that as an image. I still have an e400 although it doesn't get much use nowadays. When it does I use an old Helios lens which gives some warm and vintage looking images.

Not sure what you mean about changing from AF to MF - you can change this in the menu. Or have I mis-understood? If left on auto sometimes the camera can't work out the shot and just stalls; this sounds like the symptom you have described. I tend to shoot manual to don't really see this anymore.
Old 14th October 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hello greenguru

what I mean is from auto focus to manual focus as can be done on a Canon or Nikon. I don't think this function is on the Olympus lens. Something to overcome I guess.

Phil - I still love using my Olympus 400 and I have an issue that I just wanted advice on. I should work harder at visiting this site and forum more often.
Old 15th October 2013

Liked 81 Times in 29 Posts

If I understand you correctly then no there is no switch on the lens itself to change between AF and MF. This option is available in the camera's menu though and with a little practice takes almost no time to change.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Lean66 (15th October 2013)
Old 15th October 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguru View Post
If I understand you correctly then no there is no switch on the lens itself to change between AF and MF. This option is available in the camera's menu though and with a little practice takes almost no time to change.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now that I did not know. Thanks greenguru.