Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 17th January 2019
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 2,878
Thanks: 86
Thanked 263 Times in 231 Posts
Likes: 983
Liked 836 Times in 537 Posts
Re: Half ar-ed email from Olympus

I remember the lorem ipsum stuff from the early 1980s when desktop publishing was just starting to appear. The Aldus PageMaker user manual was full of it!
__________________
Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
TimP (17th January 2019)
  #17  
Old 17th January 2019
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 1,676
Thanks: 43
Thanked 52 Times in 51 Posts
Likes: 302
Liked 633 Times in 425 Posts
Re: Half ar-ed email from Olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I remember the lorem ipsum stuff from the early 1980s when desktop publishing was just starting to appear. The Aldus PageMaker user manual was full of it!
THATS where I remember seeing a lot of it! Now, where did I put my copy on 5.25in floppies?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Otto (18th January 2019)
  #18  
Old 18th January 2019
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 2,878
Thanks: 86
Thanked 263 Times in 231 Posts
Likes: 983
Liked 836 Times in 537 Posts
Re: Half ar-ed email from Olympus

I cut my DTP teeth on PageMaker. I believe it eventually got bought out by Adobe. It was silly money at the time so for home use I bought Serif PagePlus v1.0 which was an attempt to do PageMaker on a budget. It was buggy as hell but it worked and by v3.0 it was quite a useable DTP solution. I still use version X7 although I don't need DTP much these days. I still have my v1.0 floppies and manual, still in the box, but I doubt it works on Windows 10!

Serif of course will be better known here for Affinity Photo, carrying on their tradition for budget alternatives to the heavweights which are generally just as good for most things. Sadly the upcoming Affinity Publisher cannot open PagePlus files which I think is a bad mistake on Serif's part. There are good reasons for that apparently but I'm sure it will cost them sales of Publisher.
__________________
Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 18th January 2019
TimP TimP is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Deepest Darkest Dorset
Posts: 1,676
Thanks: 43
Thanked 52 Times in 51 Posts
Likes: 302
Liked 633 Times in 425 Posts
Re: Half ar-ed email from Olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I cut my DTP teeth on PageMaker. I believe it eventually got bought out by Adobe. It was silly money at the time so for home use I bought Serif PagePlus v1.0 which was an attempt to do PageMaker on a budget. It was buggy as hell but it worked and by v3.0 it was quite a useable DTP solution. I still use version X7 although I don't need DTP much these days. I still have my v1.0 floppies and manual, still in the box, but I doubt it works on Windows 10!

Serif of course will be better known here for Affinity Photo, carrying on their tradition for budget alternatives to the heavweights which are generally just as good for most things. Sadly the upcoming Affinity Publisher cannot open PagePlus files which I think is a bad mistake on Serif's part. There are good reasons for that apparently but I'm sure it will cost them sales of Publisher.
You’re right, it was bought by Adobe then quietly put to death.

I’ve not seen anything that can open a native Pagemaker file (.pm3?) either.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 18th January 2019
Shaw's Avatar
Shaw Shaw is offline
Senior
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Howe o' the Mearns, Aberdeenshire
Posts: 1,079
Thanks: 200
Thanked 162 Times in 96 Posts
Likes: 415
Liked 150 Times in 56 Posts
Re: Half ar-ed email from Olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
You’re right, it was bought by Adobe then quietly put to death.
I also cut my teeth on Aldus PageMaker which became Adobe inDesign, which, if you were used to PageMaker, was quite similar.
__________________
Stewart

My Zenfolio Site
My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight••• Lumix: G9 | LX100 ••• Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 ••• Leica: 100-400 | 12-60••• Samyang: 7.5 fisheye ••• Tamron: 14-150 •
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 18th January 2019
Otto's Avatar
Otto Otto is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 2,878
Thanks: 86
Thanked 263 Times in 231 Posts
Likes: 983
Liked 836 Times in 537 Posts
Re: Half ar-ed email from Olympus

Affinity Publisher is supposed to be to InDesign what Affinity Photo is to Photoshop, and Affinity Designer is to Adobe Illustrator (i.e. a vector graphics editor).

I think InDesign is similar to PageMaker because it used to be PageMaker!


Edit: Correction - it used to be Adobe PageMaker, now discontinued.
__________________
Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Shaw (18th January 2019)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Olympus Email Apology Olybirder The lounge 9 30th May 2017 05:09 PM
'Interesting' email conversation with Olympus over EM1 strange noise. snerkler Olympus OM-D E-M1 10 25th January 2017 05:54 PM
How to do? (email) on Olympus Viewer 3? Moss Software 9 2nd October 2014 03:04 PM
Strange email from Olympus bilbo Olympus OM-D E-M1 22 20th September 2013 04:30 PM
Half Price Olympus BLS-1 Battery Zuiko Camera conference 4 20th February 2010 01:17 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:47 AM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger