Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 6th January 2019
fotofundi fotofundi is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Likes: 1
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Lens orientation annoyance

Does anyone know a source of stick-on raised red 'buttons'?
One of the most annoying things for me about the Olympus non-pro lenses is the absence of the red 'button' that provides the means to feel the correct orientation of the lens when mounting it on the camera body. It can be both time consuming and frustrating looking for a painted red dot to get the lens in the correct position - and in low light this can actually become impossible.
Presumably the absence of the raised 'button' that was a standard feature of practically every film-era lens has been a cost-cutting exercise, but in reality just how much has been saved I wonder? A few cents perhaps, but IMO the annoyance this creates far outweighs the tiny cost.
Panasonic are not immune from this although I think they put a button on all but kit lenses - there is certainly one on my 20mm, but the absence of a raised button on my Olympus 12mm, 45mm, 60mm & 75mm (and probably all other non 'Pro' lenses) is worse than not including a lens hood in the purchase price - at least there are plenty of third party suppliers for these, but none, it seems, for red 'buttons'.
I am amazed that few, if any, reviewers have castigated Olympus for this omission.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 6th January 2019
DerekW DerekW is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 2,929
Thanks: 80
Thanked 315 Times in 246 Posts
Likes: 24
Liked 481 Times in 339 Posts
Re: Lens orientation annoyance

On my 75-300 lens there is a flat spot at the rear of the lens on the lowest part when mounted on the camera. Perhaps you can feel that as an orientation mark.
__________________
This space for rent
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 6th January 2019
Jax Jax is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 416
Thanks: 51
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Likes: 208
Liked 109 Times in 75 Posts
Re: Lens orientation annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotofundi View Post
Does anyone know a source of stick-on raised red 'buttons'?
One of the most annoying things for me about the Olympus non-pro lenses is the absence of the red 'button' that provides the means to feel the correct orientation of the lens when mounting it on the camera body. It can be both time consuming and frustrating looking for a painted red dot to get the lens in the correct position - and in low light this can actually become impossible.
Presumably the absence of the raised 'button' that was a standard feature of practically every film-era lens has been a cost-cutting exercise, but in reality just how much has been saved I wonder? A few cents perhaps, but IMO the annoyance this creates far outweighs the tiny cost.
Panasonic are not immune from this although I think they put a button on all but kit lenses - there is certainly one on my 20mm, but the absence of a raised button on my Olympus 12mm, 45mm, 60mm & 75mm (and probably all other non 'Pro' lenses) is worse than not including a lens hood in the purchase price - at least there are plenty of third party suppliers for these, but none, it seems, for red 'buttons'.
I am amazed that few, if any, reviewers have castigated Olympus for this omission.
Try an ebay search for "self adhesive rubber feet" or similar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...+feet&_sacat=0

May be slightly too large, 6mm is the smallest I've found, but possibly better than nothing and won't mark the lens.

Jax
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 6th January 2019
Shaw's Avatar
Shaw Shaw is offline
Senior
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Howe o' the Mearns, Aberdeenshire
Posts: 1,011
Thanks: 192
Thanked 157 Times in 93 Posts
Likes: 367
Liked 111 Times in 46 Posts
Re: Lens orientation annoyance

how about these, some are 2mm dia.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Over-300-...-/261580283155
__________________
Stewart

Visit my website http://dryplaid.zenfolio.com/

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jax (6th January 2019), OM USer (7th January 2019)
  #5  
Old 6th January 2019
Jax Jax is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 416
Thanks: 51
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Likes: 208
Liked 109 Times in 75 Posts
Re: Lens orientation annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Well spotted Stewart but the only problem with those, being hard and flat, they won't stick to the curved surface of the lens for any length of time, whilst rubber, silicone or cork, being flexible, does. I use the rubber ones on a radio with curved push buttons as it's impossible to find the right button in the dark

Edit: SWMBO wants me to send for those in your link ( she likes Bling )

Jax
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 6th January 2019
Shaw's Avatar
Shaw Shaw is offline
Senior
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Howe o' the Mearns, Aberdeenshire
Posts: 1,011
Thanks: 192
Thanked 157 Times in 93 Posts
Likes: 367
Liked 111 Times in 46 Posts
Re: Lens orientation annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Well spotted Stewart but the only problem with those, being hard and flat, they won't stick to the curved surface of the lens for any length of time, whilst rubber, silicone or cork, being flexible, does. I use the rubber ones on a radio with curved push buttons as it's impossible to find the right button in the dark

Edit: SWMBO wants me to send for those in your link ( she likes Bling )

Jax
Yes, I see that, and it would have to be larger than 2mm to cover the existing indentation.
How about a small ball of Sugru, which turns into silicone rubber?
__________________
Stewart

Visit my website http://dryplaid.zenfolio.com/

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jax (6th January 2019)
  #7  
Old 6th January 2019
Jax Jax is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 416
Thanks: 51
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Likes: 208
Liked 109 Times in 75 Posts
Re: Lens orientation annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Yes, I see that, and it would have to be larger than 2mm to cover the existing indentation.
How about a small ball of Sugru, which turns into silicone rubber?
Or a small ball of Fymo or Polymorph ( it's available in red ) but getting a glue that sticks yet won't damage the lens could be a challenge

Jax
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Shaw (6th January 2019)
  #8  
Old 7th January 2019
fotofundi fotofundi is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Likes: 1
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Lens orientation annoyance

Thanks for the suggestions - The 2mm crystals may possibly fit into the existing red-dot indentation so I'm going to give them a try (the button on my 12-40mm f2.8 appears to be 2mm) providing one of the suppliers is willing to put a pack in an envelope and post them to Cyprus.
Most of the suppliers either don't post outside of the UK or use the crazy eBay overseas postal 'service' (can you believe they quote 15.08 to send to an EU country! : ).
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Shaw (7th January 2019)
  #9  
Old 7th January 2019
Ulfric M Douglas Ulfric M Douglas is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 2,846
Thanks: 260
Thanked 231 Times in 212 Posts
Likes: 121
Liked 162 Times in 112 Posts
Re: Lens orientation annoyance

Fotofundi thanks for posting about this.
I got up out of my comfy chair to check all my Olympus lenses on my most-used camera bodies and found the 45 : a tiny dimple very hard to detect by feel.
What hit me was that all my other most-used cameras have Panasonic lenses on 'em with big red blebs, or older Zuikos with small red blebs and adapters - with big red blebs.

The tiny Olympus dimple is definitely style-over-substance!

I check some more ;
The Panasonic 15mm has (get this!) a dimple with a white spot, crazy.
My two Yi-M1 lenses copy Olympus with red dimples.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
fotofundi fotofundi is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Likes: 1
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Lens orientation annoyance

Update: I purchased a sheet of 2mm red self-adhesive 'gemstones' on eBay and after cleaning the indicator recess with alcohol on my Olympus lenses, managed to apply the 'gemstones' into the recess (there is probably enough space to fit the 3mm size) . So all my Olympus lenses now have something I can 'feel' to get the orientation right. How long the self-adhesive will last and how strong it is has yet to be ascertained but so far, so good. Thanks for the suggestion Stewart.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotofundi For This Useful Post:
Shaw (4 Weeks Ago)
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (4 Weeks Ago)
Reply

Tags
12mm, 45mm, 75mm, lens orientation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Portrait orientation??? Mdb2 Movie mode - technical discussions 9 30th June 2015 01:56 PM
Orientation Confusion Naughty Nigel Software 1 10th October 2013 01:36 PM
Framing - or annoyance EvaWood Foto Fair 9 19th August 2013 06:37 AM
LR4.2 annoyance Kiwi Paul Software 3 12th October 2012 09:45 AM
Orientation sensor andym Olympus E-3 7 29th April 2009 08:33 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:04 PM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger