Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Macro

Macro Getting really close

Old 30th December 2018

Liked 2,673 Times in 1,472 Posts
Adapting a Torch/Flashlight for Tripod Mounting

I do a lot of macro at tiny effective apertures using fully manual lenses. This makes framing and focusing difficult, except, maybe, in bright sunlight. In dimmer light, the sensor jumps all over the place, the subject being neither still nor sharp in the viewfinder, leaving framing and focus mostly to guesswork.

The way to avoid this is to shine a bright light on the subject. So I bought a Cree 10W (“brightest in the world” etc.) hand torch. Its battery compartment/handle is very much narrower than the bulb compartment, making it point upwards when laid on the ground or on a table. On a table, it was very inclined to roll off.

So I decided that attaching it to a mini tripod would give me full control of aiming the beam and would not require handling, once set up. I purchase a Manfrotto Pixi mini tripod, which was also for Nissin (non-tiltable) flash guns.

To mount to a typical tripod requires a female ¼ inch tread. I obtained this by purchasing a 3/8” to ¼” bush adapter. I did not want to drill the torch so I purchased a selection of Jubilee Clips (aka worm drive hose clamps).

I chose a clip to fit the torch handle and set about drilling a hole to take the bush. The problem was that the external threads of the bush were about 7.5mm and the clip was 9mm wide. The largest drill bit I could use was 7mm. I then had to file off some of the external thread (which I originally intended to use to secure it), stretch the drill hole, and, finally, use pliers to squeeze and lever the adapter into the hole from the inside of the clip. This gave a tight fit, which was totally rigid when the clip was finally fitted and screwed tight.

I think the images are self-explanatory. (A tip: a single flash gives best results with these shiny metal parts).

The final image shows a typical use. Note how much brighter is the part of the subject in the beam on a cloudy day.

Harold

Jax (30th December 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (4 Weeks Ago), chris (30th December 2018), Jax (30th December 2018), Melaka (1st January 2019), MJ224 (31st December 2018)
Old 31st December 2018

Thanked 1,367 Times in 1,300 Posts
Liked 1,169 Times in 793 Posts
Re: Adapting a Torch/Flashlight for Tripod Mounting

A fine job. Other options to consider are the LED torches sold as DIY items which are flexible or hinged and have a magnetic base but I like the neatness of your approach and its always satisfying when one has produced something pratical like this.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Old 31st December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
A fine job. Other options to consider are the LED torches sold as DIY items which are flexible or hinged and have a magnetic base but I like the neatness of your approach and its always satisfying when one has produced something pratical like this.
Thanks.

What I don't understand about such torches is that a flashing mode seems to be obligatory. This one has two, one so fast that the light never seems to go out and a slower one when it does. It is all automatic so you can't send out a Morse Code SOS.

My first chose was a much smaller torch with Cree Diode. That has one dedicated flashing mode but when it has been on steady beam for a few minutes it goes into flashing mode, useless for macro and I have to switch it off and turn on again to reset it.

What is all this flashing crap about?

Harold
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,430 Times in 850 Posts

I like the work on fitting that to the tripod.

You can get torches that do not flash my LED lenser P14 has no flash mode. Those high speed flash modes are generally seen as being for defence.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
I like the work on fitting that to the tripod.

You can get torches that do not flash my LED lenser P14 has no flash mode. Those high speed flash modes are generally seen as being for defence.
Thanks Alf,

It's good to know that, if a slime mould turns nasty, I can protect myself

Harold