Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4th January 2019
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts
Re: MORE Th>N ( you think ) Pet Insurance

This practice is not confined to pet insurance.

I had been with the same house and contents insurer for around 25 years without a single claim. Then we had some huge storms which blew a chimney stack down, narrowly missing eldest son who as about 11 at the time, which caused us to make our first claim. They agreed to the quote for the work and so we went ahead and put the final details in once complete.

All went well and the money was duly received and the builder was happy.

However at the next renewell the premium went up to the exact value of the claim. So after 25 years of premiums they still wanted to recover the full claim value. As someone else has said in this thread what is the point of insurance if they simply put the premium up to recover the cost of the claim. The ship owners sitting in the Lloyds coffee house would not be impressed.

Needless to say I changed insurers after informing them of what I thought of their shoddy practices.

Interestingly we have two dogs insured with MoreThan and I have to say they have been excellent even after several claims. Indeed in one incident our much loved Molly, black and white soft monster of a dog, died and they sent flowers after my wife was in tears down the phone starting the claim for the illness which killed her. No complaints therefore although I do agree that the premium is not cheap and we are seriously considering self insuring via paying "premiums" into a seperate account.

Generally I regard the whole insurance industry as essentially dodgy. It must be substantially profitable or there would not be so many companies, including supermarket chains, seeking to cash in.

Hec
Darkroom (4th January 2019), Rebecca (6th January 2019)
Old 4th January 2019

Liked 187 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
This practice is not confined to pet insurance.

I had been with the same house and contents insurer for around 25 years without a single claim. Then we had some huge storms which blew a chimney stack down, narrowly missing eldest son who as about 11 at the time, which caused us to make our first claim. They agreed to the quote for the work and so we went ahead and put the final details in once complete.

All went well and the money was duly received and the builder was happy.

However at the next renewell the premium went up to the exact value of the claim. So after 25 years of premiums they still wanted to recover the full claim value. As someone else has said in this thread what is the point of insurance if they simply put the premium up to recover the cost of the claim. The ship owners sitting in the Lloyds coffee house would not be impressed.

Needless to say I changed insurers after informing them of what I thought of their shoddy practices.

Interestingly we have two dogs insured with MoreThan and I have to say they have been excellent even after several claims. Indeed in one incident our much loved Molly, black and white soft monster of a dog, died and they sent flowers after my wife was in tears down the phone starting the claim for the illness which killed her. No complaints therefore although I do agree that the premium is not cheap and we are seriously considering self insuring via paying "premiums" into a seperate account.

Generally I regard the whole insurance industry as essentially dodgy. It must be substantially profitable or there would not be so many companies, including supermarket chains, seeking to cash in.

Hec
Hi Hec,

We had a similar instance of a pet dog suddenly dying after a short illness and she was insured by More Th>n. The cover provided for the original purchase cost of the dog to be paid in the event of death. Whilst they paid the vets fees, it took several months and the threat of legal action before they paid the due amount. I should have learned my lesson on that instance but More Th>an always come top of the list on comparison sites so we insured with them again, assuming the previous hassle was a one off experience.

Somebody "in the know " suggested insurance companies never pay out on death claims because dog owners are so upset and took out the policy years ago that they forget the "payout on death" clause is included in the policy. With the original purchase price of some pedigree dogs going into several hundred pounds or more, every one that they can avoid must be a bonus. The more I've learned about pet insurance in the last few days makes me realise just how despicable these companies really are. You were obviously one of the more fortunate clients of More Th>n as the last thing anyone needs when losing a pet animal is added hassle and upset.

Regards,

Jax
Old 4th January 2019

Liked 526 Times in 368 Posts

You self insure when you can aford to take the hit of the loss, so a house collapsing definitely requires insuring against, but a broken window no - unless it is a very expensive one.
Ditto for pets, cameras etc, and the risk, if low risk then no, if you can afford to replace it then no. If you are taking the item to a risky place then insure.

Remember insurance companies are not a charitable organisation to protect you from your follies.
Old 4th January 2019

Liked 2,235 Times in 1,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
I'm willing to bet they also have a " Wear And Tear " exclusion which, on anything less than a new vehicle, covers any possible fault that may arise

Jax
They do indeed. I cannot remember the details now, but there is a sliding scale for replacement of any part after 60,000 miles, although labour is fully covered.

Oddly enough, I had three years complimentary 'tyre and alloy wheel cover' on my new car. I claimed for a new tyre after it was punctured near to the sidewall by a meat skewer, and they paid out the £200 or so that it cost in days, and without question.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4th January 2019

Liked 2,235 Times in 1,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Remember insurance companies are not a charitable organisation to protect you from your follies.
Actually this is a fair comment. From my work for insurance companies you would be surprised how many people (particularly boat owners) see an insurance policy as a life-long maintenance contract!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4th January 2019

Liked 187 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
A little harsh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Actually this is a fair comment. From my work for insurance companies you would be surprised how many people (particularly boat owners) see an insurance policy as a life-long maintenance contract!
Although I doubt if that was the OP's meaning, and as Wornish also feels the comment was harsh, comments from 2 members I respect, I will delete my post.

Jax
Old 4th January 2019

Liked 161 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Although I doubt if that was the OP's meaning, and as Wornish also feels the comment was harsh, comments from 2 members I respect, I will delete my post.

Jax

IMHO your post was a valid comment anyway with no need to delete.

Darkroom
The Following User Liked This Post:
shotokan101 (4th January 2019)
Old 5th January 2019

Liked 543 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
We have had a succession of cats, without a gap, for the last 45 years. We have never insured them and suspect that we are well ahead financially, in spite of the a couple of large surgery bills. I suspect that it might make more sense to insure dogs.

Harold
Like yourself, we have never insured our animals, dogs, cats, donkeys and cows.

Any vet bills, we have to pay out ourselves: vaccinations, operations or for end of life. In the photo is a Great St. Bernard, the “top dog” (belongs to a family member). It attacked and disembowelled a Labrador who had challenged it. The lab was saved but needed major surgery and intensive care, costs we had to cover. The big dog also went for my throat and testicles in another attack, which left me with painful hands, balls and rabies injections into my belly for several months. I wonder if an insurance company would have paid out for the consequences of the attack, the treatment for the injured dog and myself. We all survived.

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc