Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 836 Times in 537 Posts
Re: Advice on lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
I had a 9-18mm, didn't like it at all.
Not sharp enough at the edges and wasn't keen on the feel or operation of it.

Agree with Mike above when he says 12mm is sufficient, another reason I sold my 9-18

I beg to differ, but then I like ultra-wides. I have a 9-18 (mFT version) and am very pleased with it overall, though results do benefit significantly from post pocessing with DxO Photolab to remove the softness and fringing at the edges (provided you use the raw files). Having to extend the lens before use can be a nuisance (when as is usual I forget ) but it does make it more compact. I would stick with what you've got for now and see whether the extra coverage of the 9-18 would be helpful; 3mm doesn't sound like much but it makes a surprising difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
Dantis (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 199 Times in 129 Posts
Re: Advice on lenses

I you want w i d e, try a fisheye!

These lenses can give a totally different 'look' but the image can also be 'rectilinearised' with software. the following example was taken using my Meike 6.5mm which also has the advantage of f/2 aperture, which makes it very good for interiors:

This is the main reason why I stopped using my 9-18mm