Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 29th August 2018

Liked 59 Times in 38 Posts
Adobe Upcoming Changes to Creative Cloud OS Support

Quote:
the next major release of Creative Cloud will not support Windows 8.1, Windows 10 v1511 and v1607, and Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan).
Full details here

https://theblog.adobe.com/upcoming-c...ndows-and-mac/
The Following User Says Thank You to Invicta For This Useful Post:
OM USer (30th August 2018)
Old 30th August 2018

Thanked 1,217 Times in 1,134 Posts
Liked 1,675 Times in 837 Posts
Re: Adobe Upcoming Changes to Creative Cloud OS Support

Already finding it starting to become difficult on Win 7 sounds like it's going to get worse
Old 30th August 2018

Liked 1,507 Times in 913 Posts

What a great way to alienate your customers!

Photography in the digital domain is all about continuous upgrade, but demanding upgrade to the OS could be step too far for many.

on flickr
Old 30th August 2018
Administrator

Thanked 2,983 Times in 2,320 Posts
Liked 3,991 Times in 1,882 Posts

It appears that the current Creative Cloud will still be available for those with older versions of Macs or Windows.

"If you’re running Windows 8.1, Windows 10 v1511 and v1607 or Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan), you can continue to run and install current and previous versions of Creative Cloud applications. However, you will not be able to install or run the next major release of Creative Cloud unless you’re on a supported version of Windows or MacOS." (From Adobe site)

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
OM USer (30th August 2018)
Old 30th August 2018

Liked 264 Times in 141 Posts

I'm not surprised by the OS requirement. Testing even simple applications on many OS platforms is expensive and not usually very efficient at catching problems.
Once you've identified the problem the developers have to fix it and if it's reliant on an OS feature then they probably can't.
The entire CC suite must be a massive task even for Adobe.

One of the many reasons I didn't move to the annual subscription, paid monthly model with Adobe is that they are likely to keep expecting a better machine each year - more RAM, faster processor etc. I upgrade my PC rarely.

As Windows 10 upgrades itself for nothing and Windows 8.1 could be upgraded to 10 for free too it seems logical to set the baseline there though it's disappointing for some.

Honestly just like Olympus, Adobe seem to be dropping the bottom end of the photography market to focus on those with deep pockets as amateurs or paid professionals.
Old 30th August 2018

Liked 508 Times in 333 Posts

I think Photoshop was aimed at professionals from the word go. At least nowadays there are plenty of alternatives to Adobe.
Old 30th August 2018

Liked 420 Times in 297 Posts

Photoshop does not lock you into using PS the next time you want to change the picture. The DAM reliant applications eg Lightroom do lock you into Lightroom for as long as you want to work on images unless you decide to throw out Lightroom. However you will have to export all your processed images to a non degradeable format for use in the LR successor. This is assuming you want to continue working on the images.
Old 30th August 2018

Liked 310 Times in 214 Posts

I said bye-bye to Adobe at home a while back and bought Affinity Photo, although I have Photoshop CC on my office PC if I need it (at no cost to me ). The best of both worlds

E-M1 Mk1 & Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 30th August 2018

Liked 113 Times in 72 Posts

I'm rather Luddite when it comes to software. For me, Windows XP was the best of the line, although I am currently using Windows 7, with its many clumsily updated 'features'.

For photo editing, I find that Photoshop Elements does all I need and, again, I continue to use the early Version 2. It has simple, directly-accessed tools for 'dodge' and 'burn', and works directly from Windows directories (folders).

I admit that V2 has poor memory management but, most of the time, it does the job I want. I've tried various later versions - version 5 had no directly-accessible 'undo' (very frustrating) while version 11 has a completely different interface and, when selecting 'full screen' for detailed editing, all the tools disappear (useless)!

Of course, Adobe try to force 'upgrades by making each new RAW converter (necessary for newer cameras) incompatible with earlier versions but I use After Shot Pro for fast RAW conversion and DXO Optics Pro for better quality conversion. Fortunately, the viewfinder over/under exposure indication in my Olympus means that my out-of-camera JPEGs are usually good enough for minor image manipulation afterwards.