Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 26th December 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Question Conversion to Mac

Now, before I start, I want it understood that I don't want this thread to turn into a PC vs Mac debate

But... I'm thinking, and only thinking at this stage that my next computer will be an Imac, for my own reasons.

My question is, I have licenced copies of Lightroom, CS4 and Elements. I know that all these apps will run on a Mac, but can I use the same licences or would I have to buy new software? Anyone made a transition such as this? I repeat, NO debate about the sanity of my plans, please

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 26th December 2009

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts
Re: Conversion to Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Now, before I start, I want it understood that I don't want this thread to turn into a PC vs Mac debate

But... I'm thinking, and only thinking at this stage that my next computer will be an Imac, for my own reasons.

My question is, I have licenced copies of Lightroom, CS4 and Elements. I know that all these apps will run on a Mac, but can I use the same licences or would I have to buy new software? Anyone made a transition such as this? I repeat, NO debate about the sanity of my plans, please
If the software is mac compatable, it will say on the box, then I think you should be able to install it. I have LR and Elements on two machines, a laptop and iMac.
Old 26th December 2009
Senior

Liked 158 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post

There is some info on this subject here.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/swi...-mac-os-x.html

Stewart
Old 26th December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

The Lightroom installation disc is a dual windows/mac installation disc so will work if you buy an iMac. For CS4 you should contact Adobe Customer Services and say you want a cross platform licence for your existing CS4 product. I don't know about Elements:

http://www.adobe.com/uk/support/contact/

Padgreen
Old 27th December 2009

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts

Be careful to ensure that you do the unregister from the original machines correctly - otherwise you will lose the option of installing on an additional machine.
Old 27th December 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I've just checked my master CDs, and as Padgreen says, Lightroom is a dual installation. All the others say Windows only. I've emailed Adobe and await a response.
I presume that I will have to buy/beg Mac installation media even if I'm granted a cross-platform licence.
Thanks for your help so far.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 27th December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You shouldn't have any problems as CS4 is a "current" Adobe application. A cross platform license costs about 30 and that should include a new installation disc: you will have to certify you have destroyed the original windows disc.

They are a bit funny about issuing a cross platform license when your software isn't the current version. My sister contacted them earlier this year as she had switched from a PC to an iMac and wanted a cross platform license for Photoshop CS3. They said they would only issue a license for a current product.

Padgreen
Old 27th December 2009

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Hi Stephen I use both PC and mac and find the pc a great all rounder, but when it comes to doing creative stuff, design or photography I just find the mac much more pleasureable to work on

If you get the latest imac with an intel chip (which all new are now) then you can use either bootcamp or Parallels software to install your windows software on your mac just like you would on your pc, with bootcamp you have to reboot the mac but with Parallels the software will run along side all your other mac programs

Of course you can beat the speed of a proper mac version, but its going to cost to buy a mac version then this will tide you over till cs5 comes out

Hope that helps

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 27th December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only thing that I can add is that I recently updated my laptop, nor to MAC but PC running Vista 64 Bit platform I use Lightroom and I downloaded the software as my original was 32 bit with no problems if you registered correctly you can change between platforms from the download site and each licence covers you for two copies one for your desktop and one for your laptop machine. read the licence agreements I know that this correct for both lightroom and elements, I don't have CS.

http://bwpn.zenfolio.com/

http://naturalhistorycambs.blogspot.com/

Digital Equipment: Olympus E1 - E30 - E-500 | EC-14 & EC-20 Teleconverter | Zukio 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 150mm F/2, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm | Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 SLD, 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC MACRO, 150 F2.8 Macro & 50-500mm (Bigma) |Tamron 135mm f/2.5 Macro 200mm f/3.5 | Optecka 800mm f/8 Prime | Wallimax 500mm F/6.3 Mirror Lens | Metz Mecablitz 36 AF-4 O Digital Flash | Manfrotto 055XB Tripod, Opticron Carbon Fibre "Traveller" Tripod, Sidewinder Gimbal Head, Manfratto 676B monopod, Manfrotto 322RC2 Head Lowpro Nature Trekker AWII, Lowpro Vertex 100 AW and Lowpro Toploader Pro 75 AW.